• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

it looks like the driver side axle mount is pushed back

nyoffroad

A c-clamp or c type welding vise grips will work, it's really not under much pressure at all. The pin is actaully a bolt and you can easly replace that with a center bolt bought at a spring shop or what I'd do is use an Allen head bolt and Nylock nut and cut to length. Also, I believe the U bolts and nuts are considered a one time use only! Not sure about that but I've never reused them, but up here in NY there usaully rusted to bad to reuse anyway.

319cssb

So... funny story.
I jacked the truck up with the bottle jack and had a lift jack under the axle. Took the tire off and backed off the 4 axle shackle bolts. They were lose already. I left a few threads on to make sure it's not flying off when I lower the axle.
Removed the sway bar bushings, and bought new ones. because the old bushings were very worn.
zI clamped the leaf springs with two c clamps.
Then I lowered the axle and had a peak under the top plate. The pin also was pretty lose, but did't seem to be broken. The white plastic sheet, that lays on top of the spring had a bit of an oval center piece. Probably from the the pin moving around.
So I took off the 4 shackle bolts and lowered the axle some more to see underneath the springs.
When I had the shackle u bolts off I could see that they don't form a perfect U shape... more on that later!
I looked under the leaf spring assembly and the Pin looked alright there too. The axle had a round hole. So that seemed to be a good thing ,too.
I didn't see anything that would explain that the axle is and inch and a half away from where it is suppose to be.
So when the time came to button it back up I got a surprise.
The shackle bolts didn't want to go back in the bracket as they were spaced wide than the openings. So I got out a ratchet strap that I wound around the bolt and connected to the front bumper shackle ,that allowed for the bolt to squeeze together and fit into the holes. I am sure there is a better way of doing this, but it worked for me and maybe if you're in a pinch you'll try the same way I did.
I didn't want to buy a new set of shackle bolts before I had the problem remedied. I can always swap the bolts for new ones once I got the issue fixed.

I noticed that whatever #13 is called is pointing down on the passenger side and tilted back on the riverside. I'm sure that can cause some issues , but I am not sure if it would cause the steering wheel be so far off.
The bushings in the leaf spring look worn out. So I'll take that next.
Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 8.09.20 PM.png
Someone mentioned that they have honed the spring loops with an appropriate size hone. Do you guys know the size?

Tomorrow I'll check out the passenger side. Maybe that axle moved ...

sneekyeye

As soon as the weight is on the springs again it will move back to where it normally rests, whether it be straight or crooked.

85CUCVtom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks