• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case shift question

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figure I'd ask before any reasonable amount of snow comes, can our transfer case be switched into lock while moving?

Thanks
Mike
Welcome to SS and Merry Christmas. Here is a link to the -10 operators TM and screenshots of proper transfer case operation.
It would be a good idea to download and read this manual since your new to HMMWV's .

TM-9-2320-280-10.pdf
TM-9-2320-280-10 Operators manual for the M998 series truck. June 1991.
TM's for the M998 series

Attachments

warcow105

Thanks, and I'm definitely going to read through... But we all know proper procedure might not be the only procedure :)
I'm only wondering because I had a 77 k5 with a part time conversion, and during the winter I would keep the hubs locked and switch into 4wd as I was coming up to hills or potentially slippery stops while moving.

Mike

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Beat me to it Porkysplace... Here it is again,The free owners manual, TM-9-2320-280-10.pdf

CAUTION• Vehicle must be stopped, engine off, and transmission shift leverplaced in “N” (Neutral), before transfer case can be shifted.Failure to do this will result in damage to drivetrain.• Do not place transfer case shift lever in “H/L” (high lock range) or“L” (low range) on high traction surfaces where little or no wheelslippage is evident, particularly when encountering sharp,continuous turns. Failure to operate the vehicle with transfer casein “H” (high range) on high traction surfaces, particularly whenencountering sharp, continuous turns, can damage drivetrain.b. With transmission shift lever (2) in “N” (neutral), select “H” (high range)transfer case driving gear range using transfer case shift lever (3). This range isfor normal driving in good weather, or on high traction surfaces.c. Start engine (para. 2-10).d. Set vehicle light switch (7) (para. 2-13).

You might get away with making a shift, but more that likely will grind till the instructions are followed. To get it to shift in or disengage, may have to roll in reverse then forward a few feet.

Results may very,

CAMO

Last edited:

warcow105

Hmm, just went out and had a look. I never realized how much rotation was carried through an automatic in neutral. Now I definitely need to convert over to a trans with park, I don't want to deal with turning off the engine just to shift the transfer case.

Mike

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, just went out and had a look. I never realized how much rotation was carried through an automatic in neutral. Now I definitely need to convert over to a trans with park, I don't want to deal with turning off the engine just to shift the transfer case.

Mike
Military vehicles have a lot of differences from civy models , and can get expensive when the right order of things isn't followed , particularly with start-up and shut down procedures.

warcow105

The later models with the 4 speed and park operate the same as any other truck with shifting the transfer case, it's just the lack of a parking pawl on this 3 speed that's the issue. Nothing else has caused me confusion so far.

Mike

papakb

Read my posting on adding Park to a 3 speed here: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=263221
Any average mechanic can do it at home without pulling the trans. The most difficult part of the entire job is finding the shifter.

Last edited:

Augi

Shifting the 218 is different than shifting the 242.

For the 218 the above is correct.

The 242 can be shifted between H and HL on the move at any time.

I have found with my 242 that for shifting from H to LL to be guaranteed successful the tuck must be rolling 2-5 mph with the trans in neutral. If the truck is stopped 50/50 the t case will get stuck in neutral and grind instead of going into LL.

Augi

sue

Like Dave said, H to Hloc on the fly with either
transfer case, no problem. Hloc to H on the fly
might have some bind so be aware.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks