Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Remove paint but leave CARC!

Thanks

Default Remove paint but leave CARC!

Hello! I have a unique twist to a common question on here. I would like an experienced opinion.

I have a M998A1 with a beautiful and original camo paint... on one side of the vehicle. The other side on the other hand, well the previous owner took it upon himself to use it as a test canvas.

He painted random sections of the vehicle satin black and other areas “camo” from rattle cans because he “wanted to see what it looked like”.

It looks terrible. But because it was simply cheap spray paint, I would think I might have a chance to remove it.

I’ve read CARC is some tough stuff but can be removed by paint stripper. Or, is it only aircraft stripper? In other words, is it possible for me to remove this spray paint and cause no ill affects to the underlying original CARC paint?

I appreciate everyone’s support. Thank you in advance!

Colonel
    Thanks

As you have already read CARC is a pretty durable coating. In fact, one of the ways to check to see if one has the older enamel paint or CARC is to rub the paint with acetone.

With that said, there are two things that come to mind. DOT 3 brake fluid dissolves paint but doesn’t hurt CARC. What may also work is MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). MEK takes off the glue from stickers, grease paint and what not, without affecting CARC. If you use MEK make sure to use it outside, stand upwind, use disposable gloves, and eye protection. MEK is nothing to play around with.

4 Star General
    Thanks

Try hot high pressure washer or steam. If they didn’t do any surface prep before spray bombing, it may blast right off.
    M925A2

Thanks

I appreciate the input!

I’ve often wondered if I really do in fact have CARC paint and not an older version of enamel paint. I’ll try some acetone on a small area.

I do have an industrial Jenny steam pressure washer. I was thinking of giving that a try too.

Next few few days are supposed to be warm. I’ll test a few things out and reply with what worked.

Other suggestions are still welcomed. Thank you.

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,729 Posts

That aircraft paint stripper will lift the CARC. I attempted to remove spray can paint number stencils I painted on a door and the results were poor. It bubbled the CARC before I could wash it off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NDT View Post
    That aircraft paint stripper will lift the CARC. I attempted to remove spray can paint number stencils I painted on a door and the results were poor. It bubbled the CARC before I could wash it off.
    That was my understanding as well from reading the forums. But what about regular paint remover? I think I’m going to buy a small container just to see what it will do.

Colonel
    Thanks

Most military vehicles starting with the CUCV’s came painted with CARC. All vehicles painted with CARC are supposed to be marked with CARC and the date when painted in service. I’m sure there are some with out the markings, just as some of the CARC painted vehicles were painted over with enamel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    Most military vehicles starting with the CUCV’s came painted with CARC. All vehicles painted with CARC are supposed to be marked with CARC and the date when painted in service. I’m sure there are some with out the markings, just as some of the CARC painted vehicles were painted over with enamel.
    Ah, I see. Well, I’ve been over every square inch of this vehicle since purchasing a month ago. There are no CARC markings anywhere. It doesn’t appear to me that it has been repainted. But I could be wrong.

Here is the bad side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Colonel
    Thanks

Most of the ones I have that are painted with CARC have (CARC year) stenciled in black somewhere on the dash.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrounger For This Useful Post:

SCSG-G4 (12-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,146 Times in 527 Posts

Why not contact Sherwin Williams technical service and ask the question? As a manufacturer of CARC paint, they should be able to steer you in the right direction.
    Gary
    US Army 1970-1971 MOS: 11D20 (Scout)
    2/36th Infantry, 3rd Armored Division
    USAR 1972-1973
    MVPA: #32652

2003 M1030M1 USMC Diesel Motorcycle
    1998 AM General M35A3 W/W and M66 Gun Ring
    1969 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 W/W (Sold)
    2000 M149A2 (USMC) Water Buffalo Trailer
    1968 Johnson M105A2 Trailer
    1992 M116A2 Trailer
    1987 XM1061E1 Trailer
    MEP-003A Gen Set
    30D36R 3 KW Gen Set ex-NC ANG (Sold)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glcaines For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (12-26-2018), porkysplace (12-26-2018)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast