Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Remove paint but leave CARC!

Thanks

get some ds-2 that is why they changed to carc ds2 will remove enamel, but not touch carc. admittedly the military decon agent might be hard to come by. if using acetone or mek you will have to soak towels and let it sit for a while to soften up the enamel or it will evaporate too fast.

Thanks

Default *update*

Well I decided to give acetone a try.

I first tried inside the bed on the original 383 green. I rubbed vigorously and it appeared that no green paint came up, only dirt. Tried a different spot with different colors, the black and tan. Same result, no color, just dirt.

When it came to the bad side of the vehicle the green paint lifted immediately. As well as some of the black. What has become apparent is that the original owner first painted the entire right side of the vehicle satin black first. He must not of liked it and then tried to redo a camo paint job with non-original matching colors.

So in other words, I have a lot of work to do LOL. The base satin black that he sprayed is not coming up as easily as the green paint. I’m attributing this to the fact that it is on top of the original CARC paint which is extremely rough and sticking well. But nonetheless it is coming up. I’ll update again when completed and with hopefully good results.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mturner2003 For This Useful Post:

98G (12-27-2018)

Thanks

Xylene will also cut other cured paints but won't touch CARC.
    1986 M1031 SECM.
    1985 MEP 002A
    1974 MEP 026C, eventually converting to electric start.

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,342 Posts

I have used rags soaked in lacquer thinner to take rattle can paint off of CARC with great results.
    HMIC of BEEFCO Industries world wide.

General
    Thanks

If the added paint comes off with acetone, MEK should do a number on it. Place a rag on the paint, wet it with MEK, allow to soak for a short period. The paint will be lifted into the rag. That will get most of it. The cheap red shop rags from Sam’s Club work well. They get trashed after use. Then it’s small brush and scrub time.

Thanks

Well acetone did the trick but good lord did I wind up with a mess I wasn’t expecting, lol.

I would say I am done with my first stage. The unfortunate problem was that there was so much spray paint over top of the original camo, that when I would go to wipe it off, it would just smear. So, there is about 10% left over on the entire side of the vehicle.

I need to go back over it with a clean rag and acetone 3 or 4 times and it should clean up like new.

When I first was done and encountered this issue I figured my hot steam pressure washer would do the trick. I was actually really surprised that it didn’t do a **** thing. You could still see the swirls from where I wiped away the majority of the paint. So it’s back to good old elbow grease.

I’ll post before and after pics when completed tomorrow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mturner2003 For This Useful Post:

98G (12-27-2018)

Thanks

I would say I was able to get about 99% of the paint removed. The green and tan have a slightly darker tone than the other side but it looks a world better than what it looked like before.

During the final stages of wiping it down I ended up finding a few spots that had been touched up once before.

From what I’ve read, Rapco makes the best matching touch up, yes? Slight sanding prep, spray and then after dried, spray with WD40 to “flatten it out” to match the old sun beaten CARC?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 546 Posts

I don't know about the WD-40, but the Rapco 383 is a virtually perfect match to the CARC, especially a few weeks after application. I would try that before trying the WD-40.
    Gary
    US Army 1970-1971 MOS: 11D20 (Scout)
    2/36th Infantry, 3rd Armored Division
    USAR 1972-1973
    MVPA: #32652

2003 M1030M1 USMC Diesel Motorcycle
    1998 AM General M35A3 W/W and M66 Gun Ring
    1969 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 W/W (Sold)
    2000 M149A2 (USMC) Water Buffalo Trailer
    1968 Johnson M105A2 Trailer
    1992 M116A2 Trailer
    1987 XM1061E1 Trailer
    MEP-003A Gen Set
    30D36R 3 KW Gen Set ex-NC ANG (Sold)

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,551 Times in 1,873 Posts

Rapco may match color but it is WAY OFF on flatness. You want CARC substitute from ArmyTankGuy on ebay.
    Last edited by NDT; 12-28-2018 at 14:48.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NDT View Post
    Rapco may match color but it is WAY OFF on flatness. You want CARC substitute from ArmyTankGuy on ebay.
    If he's concerned about color matching.... at this point the best thing to do would be to just prep and shoot the entire truck. (House paint over the more or less intact CARC).

Even if he manages to do a partial paint job to match the rest of the faded CARC now, in 6 months it'll no longer match due to unequal rates of fading.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast