• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1078 fording fan switch issue

Boisemed

i have a 1078 that has an issue with the fording fan switch. Instead of the fan switch turning off the fan motors it turns them on when activated. The truck came to me in this condition and i would like to correct it, could it be wired backwards?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First, the way the fan works is a little counter-intuitive. When the truck is off (no air pressure), the fan is engaged, by default. When you turn the truck on, the fan clutch switch in the upper radiator tube is a Normally Closed circuit, which turns on a solenoid and allows air pressure to disengage the fan clutch. So it's normal operating state is solenoid powered, clutch pressurized, and fan off. When that coolant switch hits 210 Farenheit, the switch opens, the solenoid shuts off, pressure is removed from the clutch line, and the fan re-engages.

I haven't looked at the wiring diagram (you should, they are in the back of the TMs), but I assume the fording switch is an alternate circuit path to force the solenoid to stay powered, and thus force the fan to stay disengaged. Again, without having seen the wiring diagram, I don't think there would just (alone) be a way to wire the switch backwards, have a faulty switch, etc. that would result in totally opposite behavior (e.g. switch on keeps solenoid off and fan engaged, switch off keeps solenoid on and fan always off). If other components were also wired incorrectly or malfunctioning, you might be able to get other behaviors.

That said, my truck came where someone had taken another one of the overheat warning coolant switches (look the same, but are Normally Open and close at 230 Farenheit) and installed it in the position for the fan clutch switch. The resulting behavior was that the fan would have been always on, and turn off at 230 Farenheit. However, my fan clutch was broken and stuck on anyway, too.

Last edited:

Boisemed

Thanks Awesomeness it is weird. I know the fans work normally when driving as they come on when she gets hot (solenoid must work). When driving and I flip fan switch to test they come on and stay on till I shut the switch off! must be alternate pathway as you suggest I have to download TM's and look or maybe its the switch like you said!! It came to me this way as well

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks