Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M1028 overload spring questions / issue

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Default M1028 overload spring questions / issue

In the middle of a frame off (well, different frame) thrash and finally getting to the point where I've got stuff painted and trying to reassemble!

Way back when i parted out a C30 and used the frame perches and overload spring for my 1008. Overload springs were a double setup vs, the normal single spring. Well, they were rusty and crappy and both bottom springs broke so i got new ones from the place i routinely use and trust. (ATS Spring). Well, the old springs i had pirated from the C30 must have had more arch! Springs i have about 4" of arch which i referenced with some other suppliers and seem correct. Of course they're now painted!

My center block is about an inch thick... Truck is supported under axle (diff not hanging) on blocks and a set of "skates"

Does this look right? Hoping i put the old springs in the scrap pile at work so i can compare arch!

IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg

Realize no weight on back (bed off) will skew things, but seems like a lot more gap than before?

Thanks, Eric

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

PS: No comments on the nasty looking drums, that's killing me! Everything inside them is done, but outside looks like doo!

General
    Thanks

That seems to be correct, the over load springs I had IIRC had two leaves above the spacer and the center bolt I THINK went all the way thru. But its been awhile.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,198 Times in 4,589 Posts

There should be a cast saddle that sits atop the spring pack that has an area for the ubolts to register. Many times the used ones are cracked. Sorry, I don't have any to take a pic of.
    1986 M1008
    1984 M1031
    1984 M1010

Thanks
    Thanked 5,601 Times in 2,999 Posts

I might have them little cast iron pieces. Might. But can I find them?
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cucvrus View Post
    I might have them little cast iron pieces. Might. But can I find them?
    Rick,

I do have the cast iron pieces and they're in! Springs i removed (rusty) were a double set-up, factory setup only called for one. So, someone added the second slightly higher arch spring which worked well.

Block i have came from a C30 and worked with the original setup. Not sure if the 1028's used a different/thicker block, 2 vs 4 wheel? Ones i have are slightly under a inch thick.

Someone have a 1028 they can measure the block height?

Eric

Thanks
    Thanked 10,198 Times in 4,589 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehuppert View Post
    Rick,

I do have the cast iron pieces and they're in! Springs i removed (rusty) were a double set-up, factory setup only called for one. So, someone added the second slightly higher arch spring which worked well.

Block i have came from a C30 and worked with the original setup. Not sure if the 1028's used a different/thicker block, 2 vs 4 wheel? Ones i have are slightly under a inch thick.

Eric
    The cast saddle piece we were discussing isn't in the pics you posted. Have you since added it?
    Last edited by Recovry4x4; 12-28-2018 at 22:38.
    1986 M1008
    1984 M1031
    1984 M1010

Thanks
    Thanked 5,601 Times in 2,999 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehuppert View Post
    Rick,

Eric
    That is the only vehicle I have to drive at the moment. I can get pictures and measure tomorrow for you.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

Thanks

Just measured my 1028A1. It's 2 inches from the overload spring to the pad on the frame. Although my truck is unloaded right now, I see there is a bit of sag in the spring eye bushings. I'm not sure how much. I would think that by the time you assembled the truck with the bed and cab back on, along with the drive train you might be pretty close to mine.
    Kenny
    1966 M35A2C
    1986 M105
    1952 M37
    1966 M101
    1986 M1028A1
    1988 M101
    1993 M998
    MEP003
    MEP002

Thanks

My overload springs had more distance from their ends to the main spring pack. I've taken them off and installed Air Lift bags, otherwise I would post a photo. The mains are 9 leaf packs.

I like the ride with the Air Lift. Thought it would need a reservoir to reduce rate but it is more compliant than the front suspension. That is the beauty of air bags, they are far more adjustable. Ride height is pressure, spring rate is volume. You can make it zero rate with a large enough reservoir.
    1986 M1031 SECM.
    1985 MEP 002A
    1974 MEP 026C, eventually converting to electric start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast