• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 overload spring questions / issue

ehuppert

In the middle of a frame off (well, different frame) thrash and finally getting to the point where I've got stuff painted and trying to reassemble!

Way back when i parted out a C30 and used the frame perches and overload spring for my 1008. Overload springs were a double setup vs, the normal single spring. Well, they were rusty and crappy and both bottom springs broke so i got new ones from the place i routinely use and trust. (ATS Spring). Well, the old springs i had pirated from the C30 must have had more arch! Springs i have about 4" of arch which i referenced with some other suppliers and seem correct. Of course they're now painted!

My center block is about an inch thick... Truck is supported under axle (diff not hanging) on blocks and a set of "skates"

Does this look right? Hoping i put the old springs in the scrap pile at work so i can compare arch!

IMG_1221.jpg
IMG_1215.jpg

Realize no weight on back (bed off) will skew things, but seems like a lot more gap than before?

Thanks, Eric

nyoffroad

That seems to be correct, the over load springs I had IIRC had two leaves above the spacer and the center bolt I THINK went all the way thru. But its been awhile.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a cast saddle that sits atop the spring pack that has an area for the ubolts to register. Many times the used ones are cracked. Sorry, I don't have any to take a pic of.

ehuppert

I might have them little cast iron pieces. Might. But can I find them?
Rick,

I do have the cast iron pieces and they're in! Springs i removed (rusty) were a double set-up, factory setup only called for one. So, someone added the second slightly higher arch spring which worked well.

Block i have came from a C30 and worked with the original setup. Not sure if the 1028's used a different/thicker block, 2 vs 4 wheel? Ones i have are slightly under a inch thick.

Someone have a 1028 they can measure the block height?

Eric

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick,

I do have the cast iron pieces and they're in! Springs i removed (rusty) were a double set-up, factory setup only called for one. So, someone added the second slightly higher arch spring which worked well.

Block i have came from a C30 and worked with the original setup. Not sure if the 1028's used a different/thicker block, 2 vs 4 wheel? Ones i have are slightly under a inch thick.

Eric
The cast saddle piece we were discussing isn't in the pics you posted. Have you since added it?

Last edited:

cucvrus

Rick,

Eric
That is the only vehicle I have to drive at the moment. I can get pictures and measure tomorrow for you.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just measured my 1028A1. It's 2 inches from the overload spring to the pad on the frame. Although my truck is unloaded right now, I see there is a bit of sag in the spring eye bushings. I'm not sure how much. I would think that by the time you assembled the truck with the bed and cab back on, along with the drive train you might be pretty close to mine.

Keith_J

My overload springs had more distance from their ends to the main spring pack. I've taken them off and installed Air Lift bags, otherwise I would post a photo. The mains are 9 leaf packs.

I like the ride with the Air Lift. Thought it would need a reservoir to reduce rate but it is more compliant than the front suspension. That is the beauty of air bags, they are far more adjustable. Ride height is pressure, spring rate is volume. You can make it zero rate with a large enough reservoir.

cucvrus

DSCF5805.jpgDSCF5806.jpgDSCF5807.jpgDSCF5808.jpgI took these pictures this AM on my way to Dunkin Donuts for coffee.
Have you heard the news
It's all over town
If you ain't heard it boys
You better sit down

I got the story here
It's hot off the press
Brace yourself now
And take a deep breath
Grab a hold of something
Hold on tight
[FONT=Verdana,Arial]M1028 leaf springs
gettin' out tonight​
[/FONT]

ehuppert

Thanks Rick!

Pretty much looks like I'm okay! Do have the top hold down cast pieces.... Will finish painting some bits and pieces (and ubolts) and get some more stuff assembled today!

ehuppert

Maybe. If I could find them. I will look. I have a few of the bottom saddles. And a few of the crush pipes for the frame flange to mount the bed bolts on the M1028.
Don't look, have everything i need!

Bought the lower saddles, upper hold downs, and new ubolts. Also have the cast iron upper spacer blocks...

Overloads will become somewhat moot as I'll most likely buy the heavier rear HD spring packs... Then again, to be truthful, getting too old and medically challenged to load firewood to max capacity in the truck anyway! haha The days of loading a full cord of wood, up to top of cab are probably past for me!

Will need some other small pieces once i get further into reassembly, but not there yet....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks