• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1956 M135 Progress Report

hungryhungarianz

In October i purchased a truck i have wanted for the last 10 years. A 1956 M135 6x6 Round Nose Jimmy Gasser. (Wanted a Diesel Instead but whatever)

I must say since i laid eyes on this beauty in October and joining the Steel Soldiers Forum website i have become determined to prove something to myself or those who think it can not be done. Maybe it was just a little curiosity in the beginning, but now it has become a obsession and a passion.

IMG-2858.jpgIMG-2892.jpgIMG_3369.jpgIMG_3367.jpg

Work Done So Far

- Towed it home on a flat deck
- Ripped out old seats as floor was rusted away
- Ordered Cam Shaft, Push Rods and Instrument Panel
- Installed Instrument Panel traced all wires long job
- Cleaned out old oil with two liters of water coming out from Engine Pan.
- Engine was seized and had to fill it with diesel fuel and let sit for a week or two.
- Got engine unseized with some ingenuity and ratchet straps to axel.
- Replaced oil with Lucas Synthetic.
- Cleaned Cam shaft, installed and set with right gap.
- Cleaned Spark Plugs and reset gaps for right spark
- Cleaned out carb and added valve seal from cummins 6.9 to the rubber seal inside carb as it was deteriorated.
- Made new gaskets for engine cover.
- Pulled the Lever and BAM BOOM!$#@^%&%@!# It Fired Up
- Unseized linkage for the T Case

- Now to the Brakes and the Rest of the Truck Hahahaha

*****Many Thanks to M1010plowboy ********* For the Parts. And All Those Other Steel Soldiers who gave me Input and Advice! I salute you!! :goodjob:

PLEASE WATCH MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS BELOW OF ME UNSEIZING ENGINE AND THE FIRST FIRE UP! THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!!!

https://youtu.be/4gvtb45EGMg

https://youtu.be/2_bVwWFhJ8o

Last edited:

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations! I love to see an old forgotten engine brought back to life. BTW are you using LEDs in your instrument cluster? Those gauges are easy to read...

hungryhungarianz

Congratulations! I love to see an old forgotten engine brought back to life. BTW are you using LEDs in your instrument cluster? Those gauges are easy to read...
Thanks! Those gauges are stock from the 50's. I just turned the switch after i installed everything and bam it lit up red. So i was like that is nice i have never seen that before. Yes they are easy to read in the dark.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of our vehicles have red instrument lights. That would be great in a black out situation. However, While driving around at night, I can hardly see the gauges in my vehicles. I wish I could find clear plastic lenses to replace the stock red ones. At least on my M934 that I use as a tow vehicle.
I really like your avatar photo. It looks like something Norman Rockwell painted. When you say this has become an obsession, we get it! Some call it "Mthrax". This used to be a hobby for me. Now it's a sickness. :) So welcome home, we'll keep the light on for ya...

rustystud

In October i purchased a truck i have wanted for the last 10 years. A 1956 M135 6x6 Round Nose Jimmy Gasser. (Wanted a Diesel Instead but whatever)

I must say since i laid eyes on this beauty in October and joining the Steel Soldiers Forum website i have become determined to prove something to myself or those who think it can not be done. Maybe it was just a little curiosity in the beginning, but now it has become a obsession and a passion.

View attachment 751977View attachment 751978View attachment 751976View attachment 751975

Work Done So Far

- Towed it home on a flat deck
- Ripped out old seats as floor was rusted away
- Ordered Cam Shaft, Push Rods and Instrument Panel
- Installed Instrument Panel traced all wires long job
- Cleaned out old oil with two liters of water coming out from Engine Pan.
- Engine was seized and had to fill it with diesel fuel and let sit for a week or two.
- Got engine unseized with some ingenuity and ratchet straps to axel.
- Replaced oil with Lucas Synthetic.
- Cleaned Cam shaft, installed and set with right gap.
- Cleaned Spark Plugs and reset gaps for right spark
- Cleaned out carb and added valve seal from cummins 6.9 to the rubber seal inside carb as it was deteriorated.
- Made new gaskets for engine cover.
- Pulled the Lever and BAM BOOM!$#@^%&%@!# It Fired Up
- Unseized linkage for the T Case

- Now to the Brakes and the Rest of the Truck Hahahaha

*****Many Thanks to M1010plowboy ********* For the Parts. And All Those Other Steel Soldiers who gave me Input and Advice! I salute you!! :goodjob:

PLEASE WATCH MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS BELOW OF ME UNSEIZING ENGINE AND THE FIRST FIRE UP! THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!!!

https://youtu.be/4gvtb45EGMg

https://youtu.be/2_bVwWFhJ8o

Good job getting that engine running again ! So how's the automatic working ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks