• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to check when buying a humvee

beehumvee

Hello all,

I am planning to buy a humvee, and would be very gratefull to have some recomendations from your high humvee knowledge.

I need to know what things and parts to check to avoid surprises. I know a few things of mechanics, but humvees are very particular vehicles.

Hope you can help me.

Many thanks.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello and welcome. If you look at the top of this page you will find a sticky post labeled LEO/FD check list. It has a lot of info that will help you out. There are also some part numbers in there to help you when doing repairs

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The first thing to do is to look for signs that it was NOT used as a wheel chock for a big real truck.

papakb

That Gear Report is a great checklist for a prospective owner but something I've noticed missing from it is you want to get under the truck and rap on the frame with a hammer. It's made from pretty good steel and should "ring" when hit. If it gives you a dull thunk it means the frame is rusty inside and something you want to avoid. The USMC trucks are notorious for this since they were exposed to salt water during operations and the way the frames are built them allow water to enter the front and it sits in there because there's no way for it to drain out. It never hurts to drill some small "weep holes" along the frame to stop this from happening.

Gear Report

That Gear Report is a great checklist for a prospective owner but something I've noticed missing from it is you want to get under the truck and rap on the frame with a hammer. It's made from pretty good steel and should "ring" when hit. If it gives you a dull thunk it means the frame is rusty inside and something you want to avoid. The USMC trucks are notorious for this since they were exposed to salt water during operations and the way the frames are built them allow water to enter the front and it sits in there because there's no way for it to drain out. It never hurts to drill some small "weep holes" along the frame to stop this from happening.
Awesome feedback. I'm adding this to the article now. :) Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks