• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

difference in chassis MTV and LMTV.. can you swap them?

coachgeo

granted some MTV are longer...... but beside that...... could one cut off the hucks from one to remove the items different (rear shock tower, or mounts for inverted leaf spring for example) and then just swap everything over after drilling appropriate missing holes?

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
So you mean strip everything off the frame. So all you have left is the bare frame? And then have a second truck next to it that you stripped down the same way. And put all the stuff from the first truck on the second trucks frame? I would loose track of parts. Just wouldn’t work out for me.

coachgeo

So you mean strip everything off the frame. So all you have left is the bare frame? And then have a second truck next to it that you stripped down the same way. And put all the stuff from the first truck on the second trucks frame? I would loose track of parts. Just wouldn’t work out for me.
no not that far stripped. mostly just swap engine and axles.. as well as interior of cab and doors. A0 to A0

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is ~ 80% parts commonality between the various FMTV's so this should be possible. I converted our 2004 M1088A1 into a 12.5 ton capacity M1083A1 with an upgraded 2009 cab.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was the 12.5 ton capacity based on the 26,000 pound vertical load on 5th wheel spec. of the M1088?
Yes, that is correct. I've never tested it and I doubt I ever will. For me, it is more an interesting bullet point to put on the sign when I display the truck at events. The most I have ever had in the back is around 3,000 lbs which the truck didn't even notice.

The hardest this truck has worked since I got it was recovering a halftrack that had been parked in the woods for 50 years. Once I got around the trees and hooked up to the halftrack, I was able to drag it to the street without any issues.

IMG_0719[1].jpg

I did load 15,000 lbs into my M1090 dump truck when I had it and while the truck sat a bit lower than normal, it moved it without a problem. This includes going up an extremely steep hill that slows most commercial trucks down to 25 mph or so. The loaded M1090 climbed the hill without a problem at 45.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks