• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 clutch replacement- questions

pockersUK

Looks like I need a new clutch
ive changes an m38a1 but not an m37

I’m told the WC clutch kits are the same as the m37 is this true?

Looking at the manual it would appear it can be replaced by removing the transmission- I take it there’s no need to remove the engine/power pack

plus any other tips gratefully received

many thanks

Bill W

A good little manual for parts interchangeability between models of Military Dodges is TM 9-1808C., However I just looked through mine and there wasn't anything on clutches.

hasaboat

I am new to the website and I hope I am posting my question in the right place. I have a 1962 M37B1 that is in pretty good shape but has been stored outside for about 10 years before I got it. I have lightly driven it and was going to go for my first real drive yesterday evening and the clutch does not seem to be engaging. The clutch pedal has tension but when I go to put it in gear the clutch is obviously not engaged. Before I pull the pan off I want to make sure that I'm not going in a wrong direction. I'm sure that this isn't a new problem and would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clutch disk is probably stuck to the flywheel from sitting. Pull the clutch pan and use a putty knife to free the disk from the flywheel. Have the clutch pedal depressed when you do this.

Frank

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am new to the website and I hope I am posting my question in the right place. I have a 1962 M37B1 that is in pretty good shape but has been stored outside for about 10 years before I got it. I have lightly driven it and was going to go for my first real drive yesterday evening and the clutch does not seem to be engaging. The clutch pedal has tension but when I go to put it in gear the clutch is obviously not engaged. Before I pull the pan off I want to make sure that I'm not going in a wrong direction. I'm sure that this isn't a new problem and would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!
Welcome to the group! Happy to have you here at Steel Soldiers.

I hate to hear that you are having trouble with your clutch. Definitely sounds like the clutch is stuck like @Roller and @NDT already suggested. Pull out your safety glasses before you start working under the truck. Get yourself a nice putty knife that isn't chewed up on the business end. Maybe a heavy duty one that you can tap lightly on the handle.

M37 Pressure Plate.jpg

Obviously you need to get between a pair of those bolts that hold the plate to the flywheel (picture above). Then rotate the motor and do it again (6 times). As both of the guys mentioned - it is a TWO PERSON job. Somebody to hold the clutch peddle down "Soldier B" while you work the knife between the clutch disk and the flywheel.

John Mc

Before pulling it, is there a chance the linkage needs to be adjusted? You mentioned "lightly driving it". If that was recently, what is the likely hood things have rusted up since that drive?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a clutch adjustment would be the first task.

If that does it, you've saved a lot of work and a bit of $.

DG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have owned several civilian vehicles over the past 45 years of my driving lifetime - and none of them have had shoes to stick to drums or clutch disks to flywheels.

On the other hand, I have several military trucks that get their shoes stuck to the drums. Air brakes in particular. Especially if they sit around for several weeks. The emergency brakes stick to those drums and if you are counting on that truck in a tight spot - I would personally never set the emergency brake.

Logic says a clutch disk rusted to the flywheel is possible - even probable - if the vehicle sits for long periods of time. Should that happen? No. Is it where it was parked? Maybe possible blowing rain and heat and humidity and your personal lot in life. All could be.

I also have to say that a company I worked for had mostly former military vehicles "in the field". Don't remember a clutch un-adjusting itself while parked. I also don't remember clutches sticking to flywheels. BUT that is a possibility.

Just things to consider.

Using a super-duty putty knife still might unstick the clutch if it is...

Last edited:

hasaboat

Thanks for all the input and sorry for the late reply. SO, the clutch disk was in fact stuck to the flywheel. I could see a gap between the disk and flywheel in one area and no gap in another. I gently used the putty knife in the gap to open it up and after prying in 2 areas the disk came right loose. Honestly the last time I drove the vehicle was probably 2+ months ago. I've been installing a new fuel tank and it took a while. After freeing the clutch I drove it for about 20 minutes on Monday afternoon but plan to drive it for an hour or more tomorrow. I live in a very humid location but I doubt that would make a difference? Anyway, your guidance was spot on and I really appreciate it. Thanks again, Todd

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for all the input and sorry for the late reply. SO, the clutch disk was in fact stuck to the flywheel. I could see a gap between the disk and flywheel in one area and no gap in another. I gently used the putty knife in the gap to open it up and after prying in 2 areas the disk came right loose. Honestly the last time I drove the vehicle was probably 2+ months ago. I've been installing a new fuel tank and it took a while. After freeing the clutch I drove it for about 20 minutes on Monday afternoon but plan to drive it for an hour or more tomorrow. I live in a very humid location but I doubt that would make a difference? Anyway, your guidance was spot on and I really appreciate it. Thanks again, Todd
That's great news Todd!

Glad to hear that the "stuck" clutch was its only problem. At least now if it happens again, you know what to do and that it is no stress to fix. With a little careful observation - you might see that it was a particular rain storm, or a long patch of really humid weather - or not.

After the first time I encountered the stuck problem, I started driving everything I own about once a week. Sometimes really hot weather pushes it to two weeks. I fussed and groused about my brake shoes being stuck to the drum. Made me ill to say the least.

My drive it so I don't have to fix it plan seems to be working. That might work for you too.

Glad that the guys and I could help from the relative safety of the recliner :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks