• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Desplining 5t hubs

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
We have a ad for a deslpining service for front hubs from 2 2/1 and 5t trucks, link below, sorry, I do not know how to just put up a named link so posted the true link

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?184141-Desplining-sevice

Fist off desplined hubs are the way to go UNLESS you have a SPRAG truck, a 39/809 series 5t or a early deuce sprag transfer, The PROBLEM is the SPRAG, double back to back overrunning clutchs which engages when the transfer senses about a 8% slip of the back wheels, in other words, the rears are going faster then the front, this engages the sprag for FWD. With desplined hubs, the sgrag will think the rears are spinning so will engage, this will have the drive shaft and third member turning. there is two ways to fix this,

First is to install the MWO air switch mod that cuts off air to the sprag, this is the best fix for the issue because all you have to do is swap out splined hubs for the unsplined ones and turn on the air to the sprag, this will give FWD in about 1/2 hr.

Second is to remove the front drive line, it will not hurt the sprag to run all the time BUT REINSTALLING the drive shaft and swapping hubs will take more then a 1/2 hr AND laying in the mud to do the drive shaft will not lead to a happy driver.

I do not want anyone to think that I am against DESPLINED HUBS, this is by far the best thing to do to drop out front wheel drive without going to select a matic style hubs and still have FWD if wanted, even these have the SAME sprag ISSUE

I posted this so owner who are thinking about this mod know about the sprag issue, there is NO issue for air shift transfers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks