• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803 coolant stain on head?

bosko

I have a mep-803 Im going to get started working on. It has a few hundred hours on it. It did not run and had fluids drained.

I notice there is some orange / rust stains on the head and block. Does it look like the head gasket blew out? See pic?

Should I proceed to fire it up?

justacitizen

looks to me like the head gasket has been replaced and the stain is from the previous gasket failure. either fill it up with water and start it up or use a pressure tester. does the oil have coolant in it?

Demoh

Ive gotten a few gens like that and havent had one with a blown headgasket yet. I attribute it to condensation. Sure it could be a headgasket but like Guy said, fill her up with fluids and give it a whirl. If you are concerned bar it over by hand a few times first.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive gotten a few gens like that and havent had one with a blown headgasket yet. I attribute it to condensation. Sure it could be a headgasket but like Guy said, fill her up with fluids and give it a whirl. If you are concerned bar it over by hand a few times first.
Howdy,
I second that.

That it the tempature inversion effect on the iron block. We get temp swings and humidity and things sweat water like crazy.

Take a look here.

MEP-8xx engine paint

jamawieb

The orange is a base coat paint on the motor. It looks like someone sanded it down to clean it for some reason. I wouldn't worry about it, I've had several units that had severe rust in that area and everything was fine.

Guyfang

Staff member
Can someone post a picture of the same exact part of THEIR gen set? Please show a bit more to the right. I want to look at the alternator. Thanks!

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks Dav5!

Someone contacted me by privet email, and asked me why his alternator won't fit. I explained that he needed to rotate the head of the alternator. Some come from the manufacturer, set up for other applications. You just need to remove the three screws that hold the alternator package together, and rotate it. Then replace the screws. This was a common problem in the army. The soldiers would order the alternator, and expect it to fit. When it didn't, it was the "wrong" part. This guy has the same "problem". As soon as I show him the picture, he will understand. Again, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dav5

Green Mountain Generators says that the alternator they sell is turned 90 degrees but they don't explain that you have to rotate it and how to do it. I bought a new alternator for a spare on Ebay for $68 and it is rotated too. I wasn't aware it had to be rotated to fit. Thanks for the explanation

Guyfang

Staff member
I have to admit, the first time I had one in the hand, I had a brain fart. I tried to get it to fit for a half hour. Then took it out, and tried again. And took it out again. I was ready to fire it out the window, and in walked a guy who later became one of my best friends. He looked at the alternater, and said, "It sure is a pain that you have to rotate the head on those stupid things". I sagely agreed with him, and placed it on top of the gen set, insted of throwing it out the window.

Last edited:

dav5

I just went out to the shop and rotated my new spare alternator. Mine had 4 bolts and to access one of the bolts I had to remove the 2 bolts holding the cap that has the specs and wiring diagram [don't know what it is called] so I could lift it and get the last bolt out. A few taps and the two pieces rotated freely. Thanks again Guyfang

Zed254

dav5 and Guyfang, you guys are solid gold!!! I just rotated my alternator head. I was able to grab one of those Ebay spares: new OEM box, packed with the wax type paper, ready to install in an emergency.....or so I thought. After reading about rotating the head and studying the pictures I realized I had some work to do. Thanks again to both of you: now my alternator IS ready to install.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, just got my spares reoriented correctly, ready for bolt up if ever needed.

Also applied never seize to all the bolt threads. I've had car and truck alternators in the past where every steel bolt was frozen into the aluminum housing requiring much work to get them out. Not going to happen if I can prevent it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks