• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it the M Gator?

BadRobot

I just acquired a John Deere Gator 6x4 from Military Surplus. Then I looked up PIN to find out what year it is so I can order the correct part replacements. However, my PIN W006X4D041142 is out of range. Is it PIN for M-Gator?

John Deere Gator manufactured year from serial number lookup table

GatorPIN.JPG

pickup2.jpg

PIN.JPG

I also looked at John Deere website. The cab is an option for M Gator as well.

Thanks for additional info you can provide.

Best regards,

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't think so. Missing tiedowns on the front bumper and data tag should say "MIL".

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto, it's a M-Gator A1 model and the serial will be different. You should call a JD dealer and give them the serial and engine serial to get parts, not much has changed on these models. The frame and basics are identical to the 6x4 civilian model but with the diesel yanmar engine in it. Any military specific parts such as d-rings, litter carrier, etc are likely not obtainable through Deere as they're made on a contract basis (I've checked).

Here's some info on it for you to hunt with:
download (7).jpg
Marine Expeditionary Force Regional Contracting Center was the purchasing agent. The machine has no reported history with Deere and judging by other sources it was purchased and sent to Al-Taqaddum Air Base as a distribution point. If you want to know more you'd better starting looking for bumper numbers and etc. Happy hunting!

BadRobot

Ditto, it's a M-Gator A1 model and the serial will be different. You should call a JD dealer and give them the serial and engine serial to get parts, not much has changed on these models. The frame and basics are identical to the 6x4 civilian model but with the diesel yanmar engine in it. Any military specific parts such as d-rings, litter carrier, etc are likely not obtainable through Deere as they're made on a contract basis (I've checked).
Here's some info on it for you to hunt with:
View attachment 752501
Marine Expeditionary Force Regional Contracting Center was the purchasing agent. The machine has no reported history with Deere and judging by other sources it was purchased and sent to Al-Taqaddum Air Base as a distribution point. If you want to know more you'd better starting looking for bumper numbers and etc. Happy hunting!
I have never been in Iraq before. Is it cold at night? I just wonder why the unit has heater installed.
heater.JPG

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How cool is that. Still can't understand why the M Gator is John Deere green and not OD. Speaking of John Deere green, since we have the ears of a corporate dude, will you please tell Horicon Works or where ever these are made to do a better job cleaning the laser cut parts before paint! They don't remove the laser dross and then the paint peels like in the picture! My garage kept Z trak is doing the same thing!

BadRobot

There are variations of color on M Gator (as far as I know after I got this one. I am not an expert in any aspects). The chassis is still green as showed in the pictures. These 3 pictures are from the same gator. The olive drab is just on plastic parts. Some of them even painted tan over both frame and plastic parts.

1623819_2722_159_0001.jpg1623819_2763_28_0001.jpg1623819_2763_11982_0001.jpg

BadRobot

I just started the tear down process.

The front signal lights were broken. So they need to go and I don't think I will replace them.

IMG_0537.jpgIMG_0542.jpg

Tail lights are in the way of lifting the bed up and I cannot service engine easily.

IMG_0544.jpgIMG_0546.jpg

There is water dropping from the heater. There must be a leak or loose camp. I will fix it when I flush the cooling system.

IMG_0539.jpg

Then I have to change motor oil and oil filter before I can start it up. I will fix both electrical and mechanical issues. Then I will deal with rust and paint in the spring. I just need it to plow the snow this winter.

Last edited:

BadRobot

The first round of engine bay cleaning. It looks a lot batter. I just want to see what, where is leaking when I start up the engine.

Before:

IMG_0557.jpg

After:

IMG_0569.jpg

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if its fuel, its likely the rubber fuel lines. Mine were original to the Gator when I got it. The lines even had the date of 2000 on them.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then I have to change motor oil and oil filter before I can start it up. I will fix both electrical and mechanical issues. Then I will deal with rust and paint in the spring. I just need it to plow the snow this winter.
Assuming it has oil in it, you might want to start it up before changing the oil to get the oil warm so that it will drain better. Or, drain the oil, fill it up, run it until warm and then change the oil a second time along with the filter.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have TM1804 (2000) if you want. Pm me. Too big to upload here. Most of it is the same as later years, including the Yanmar engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks