• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air brake control on 5 ton

swellwelder

I have a M139 5 ton truck This was originally a bridge tender truck so it has the 14.00x 20 tires and double frame. I have taken the box off and hopefully will make it into a tractor/trailer unit.
My question has to do with the air brake control lever on the steering wheel shaft. Is that lever supposed to control trailer brakes? My cousin who was in the Army back in the 70's in Germany remembers that all the trucks had trailers, but didn't pay enough attention to whether the trailers used air brakes( he was a radio operator, not a truck driver)
So repeating myself, Does that lever on the steering column control trailer brakes?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes.

Also, please include a state in your location as the site rules request.

dmetalmiki

Yes, That used to be called a 'Hill Holder' on the Scammell tank transporters.
Also Used as a trailer brake.
Note (That) The FRONT glad hands (are not 'operated' by the Hand Control Valve (and)) do not exude air with the operation of the Hand Control Valve.
The front glad-hands are Input air to brake the vehicle when towed. And to fill the air supply on the truck being towed.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is also called a Johnny Bar/Brake/Arm.

Main use is to lock trailer brakes while backing the tractor under it to hook up, or forward to disengage, so the trailer doesn't roll during those operations. You hook up your air lines first, of course.

I use it to check that the 5th wheel is locked properly each time I start to move. (If you've ever had some dillweed pull your 5th wheel release while you are parked, you become meticulous about that check. Fortunately for me I learned that lesson vicariously watching someone else drive out from under his trailer at a truck stop).

It can be used to check your brake lights (lock the trailer brakes, go back and have a look).

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks