• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many seals in the front hub of a 1991 M932 American General?

ackermann9

Hi Everyone,

So I live in Vermont and Just bought a '91 M932 American General 5 ton! I found it down in Florida on vacation. I'm planning on using it to haul sap for my sugaring operation up north. It's in real good shape. The only problem is, what I can only assume to be, a front seal of some kind on the front drivers side hub. It's leaking oil on the inner rim. I've been reading and watching youtube videos about it and it seems like it happens from time to time with these big rigs. The 3 big questions are...

How many seals are in that front hub?
How big a job is it to replace them?
Where is the best place to buy them?

I grew up on a dairy farm and I'm not afraid to tear into stuff as long as I can find the parts somewhere! I just figured I'd ask the pros first! Thanks guys!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you are talking about an axle seal then you are talking bout 2 seals to replace. Your inner hub seal and the axle seal. Along with the knuckle boot while you are in there. That is if its gear oil that you are having come out.

If it is just the hub seal then it is just the inner seal for the hub and thats it. All of it is pretty simple.

Nelsonstudios on youtube does a video on doing knuckle boots and inner axle seals.

Seals are cheaper on ebay if you are not in a hurry. I find the inner hub seal for around $10 on ebay.

therooster2001

Post a pict, although my problem mimicked a real seal leak. Check the gear oil level first in the pumpkin. Mine was totally overfilled, and when it got hot, came out of somewhere, and leaked down to bolts on the axle by the rim, but splattered a bit when driven, so looked like a hub leak. Plugged axle vents made this worse. When I went to change the gear oil a noticeable hiss was heard when the pressure was released (blocked vent). Check to make sure they are clear. Once I fixed both, no more leaks.

Last edited:

Lukes_deuce

If your going to tear once side of the front axle apart, I suggest you replace all the seals since you will have to take most of it apart to get to the oil seal. Just did the knuckle boots on my 923a2. first side took 12 hours, second side took 6. There are some good posts on here on how everything comes apart. Not anything to hard but you will need the big tools if you dont already have them. And a nice slide hammer for the oil seal retainer. Took me a while to figure that one out.

As for the seals, ebay is one place. There are a few vendors that cater to the military surplus vehicles. I wont promote anyone on here but everyone has their favorite and they are usually pretty fair in price as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks