• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

has anyone taken injectors apart on this forum?

319cssb

Before getting the 30mm socket out, I wanted to see if there is some info on what the internals look like.

Barrman

I took mine apart 8 years ago to try and refresh them. A pop tester is really needed after you take them apart to verify they are good. Buying new Bosch injectors is almost cheaper and easier in the long run.

319cssb

I have one that leaks from the center section I think there is a copper gasket that seals the half But I am not sure.

I am 100% sure:
-the return lines are not leaking
-the fitting is not leaking
-the injector is not leaking from the bottom seal.
I had to write that, because someone will always inject a post with 'did you check the rubber return hoses'?

Mg84648

I have one that leaks from the center section I think there is a copper gasket that seals the half But I am not sure.

I am 100% sure:
-the return lines are not leaking
-the fitting is not leaking
-the injector is not leaking from the bottom seal.
I had to write that, because someone will always inject a post with 'did you check the rubber return hoses'?
Did you check the rubber return hoses?:naner:

319cssb

What do these injectors leak from when they do that from the center area? I thought Id see a copper washer . But there seems to be a color ring. Is that some itentifier only or dors it serve a purpose like to seal the halfs?

Keith_J

The fit of the top and bottom halfs (very hard steel) and the softer intermediate plate form the seal. The body seal is low pressure, fuel return. The intermediate plate seals the high pressure injection pressure (7000 PSI).

If the return lines are blocked, the body seal will see much higher pressure. When the injector "fires", the movement of the needle displaces fuel in the body, forcing it back to the tank. The actual weeping past the needle is tiny, just a few drops a minute.

319cssb

So if i get the injector out and put it in my $1100 sweeping frequency ultrasonic cleaner to clean the injector. Might that knock the blockage off ?

319cssb

And I'll replace the return line tubing. I like the Idea of having them see through. I think everyone is raving about Tygon tubing. Is there a certain diameter size everyone uses?
Edit: I will get Viton tubing 5/16" 5 or 10ft of it

Last edited:

319cssb

Are the injectors under tension when they come apart? Just to make sure stuff doesnt go flying when i take one apart.
And will I need a vice or similiar to reassemble or do the parts just slide in the injector?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is tension, but only for the last couple threads before it gets tight, while assembling.
So no, nothing will fly apart...

To disassemble, put the injector upside down in a vise (protected with aluminum jaws!) and clamp very firmly(!) Then use your 30mm deep socket to crack it open. Be extremely careful when applying torque, because if the clamped flats slip- or begin to turn it may distort the small fuel return ports.
Only loosen both halves, then remove from vise and disassemble over a clean table or tray.

319cssb

The first injector came out really clean. I used 99% alcohol and did three passes. first with the injector whole. second, with the injector cracked a bit ( so the parts could move inside) then I tool it apart and cleaned the lower portion again.
Then I cleaned with alcohol and kim wipes. Then I lubed the parts in diesel before assembly. I think I'll soak the injector in diesel before I put it back in the engine with a new copper gasket.
Not sure , yet about the soaking.
Then I'll put the injector back in the engine and if everything is ok in a week or so, I'll move on to the next injector.

Last edited:

319cssb

Well , the good news is that I didn't manage to fork it up somehow.
The bad news... I'm itching now to do the next injector.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks