• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 front differential sounding board

kraut83

Ive been doing some reading on front differentials and the difference between open, limited slip and true lockers. I do plan on keeping my truck road worthy and it needs to be able to handle snow and ice. Im certain I have an open dif up front. I'm fairly sure from my reading that I dont want a locker. Im new to 4wd and off roading, so for now im still just gathering info.

I still want to be able to take the truck off road on the very rare occasion that I find the opportunity to, mud and rocks no sand, at least in our area. I was hoping I could get some suggestions/advice thrown at me so that I can do some more guided reading about particular differentials that might suit my desires.

Im aware that the 1028 came with a traclok up front. Is this one of the best options if im trying to stay away from added "hoses/wires" that would come with electric and hydrolic activated lockers? I imagine these units were in these truck for good reason. Do the clutch packs need to be rebuilt often? are there better options than a clutch limited slip?

As far as the truck goes, its pretty close to original with suggested mods from here. The only thing not done so far is a IP rebuild and a good electrical system cleaning. Doghead already done, all rubber replaced, all new fluids, rebuilt suspension no lift, rebuilt steering system.

Any info/suggestions welcome. Even if it side tracks some, eventually my girlfriend wants a blazer which will be her off road toy, whereas my truck needs to be a good combo of homestead workhorse and toy. Of course the truck is also the guinea pig to learn on and finish before the blazer comes along.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question, how much snow do you get in your part of VA? I live in the mountains of N GA. Plenty of off camber slopes including my driveway. I can't imagine trying to get up it with lockers for and aft. It's funny enough to watch it dogtrack up the hill. I think Trac Lock or Powerlock would be perfect for your application. Even a tru track would be good. Honestly, you might be surprised how well it works open.

kraut83

The most we've gotten in the 13 years I've lived here at one time is 18 inches. But when i was younger we lived in front royal and got over 3 feet. '96 i think. It actually does fantastic in the snow and mud open. Eventually we are planning to move back into the mountains here and then mud and snow will be more of an issue, with some rocks depending on the land we get. Any rock crawling would be amature on my part, i just want to be able to keep up with my ladies toy when she gets it set up haha.

cucvrus

DSCF3358.jpgDSCF3384.jpgI ran a lot of off road in the M1009 and the M1008, M1028. I have nothing but good to say about the off road reliability and capability. I ran in a few Tough Truck competitions with the M1008 & M1028. Both performed flawlessly with a few wins in the stock class. I competed against turbo trucks with big tires and won a few time. Nothing on a National level. Just a few county fairs. I also plow a lot of snow when it snows and mud when it needs pushed. Many tasks have been completed with stock M1009's and M1008, M1028. So IMHO I never seen any huge advantage to the posi-traction front axle. I always have weight in mine when I plow and go off road. Off road I have gear and passengers. Done well where ever I went. Plowing I have a skid of salt in the bed. Been stuck a few times in 40" of snow and 2 foot of mud. And yes I was in some mud with a stock M1009. Never failed me. Only failures I had were alternators and starter from mud. Wonder why? Good Luck

kraut83

Dam that motor is caked!

Ive had tons of older GI's have fond memories of this thing with all sorts of stories. Few of actually 4 wheeling though.

From my reading the truetrac would be the direction i would want to go. Pricey but it appears to be the best of the three mentioned. Are those easy for a shade tree mechanic to install?

If the open front is really that good I might just take the saved money and put it towards another worthy upgrade. Ill always have some weight on it between tool boxes, firewood, gear etc. The other thought was to look into a winch.

ehuppert

Been plowing with mine for over ten years and only been stuck a couple of times. Plow hung up pushing banks and combination of ice under snow. Front posi wouldn't have helped! Currently have duratracs on truck and the thing is "almost" impossible to get stuck if weight in the back!

My opinion is money better off spent elsewhere unless it's going to become dedicated off road!

Eric

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed my first Dana Spicer Trac Loc in a brand new K20 in 1972. I've had many since then. I wouldn't run anything else. The Trac Lok has clutches whiich will slip when turning corners. Remember when turning the "outside" wheel on the front must travel farther than the "inside" wheel to get around the corner. Without the clutches, drive train lockup will occur. I believe the M1028's configuration of Detroit Locker in the back and Trac Lok in the front is the absolute best configuration of street/off-road use.

Just my 2 cents.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were my money and I used the truck as you describe, I'd get a winch. That and quality tires should get you deep in the weeds and back home.

Powr lock is a 4 spider version of a Trac Lock.

nyoffroad

like ehuppert The only times I ever got stuck was plowing and the blade got hung up and one time I dropped the front wheels off an edge and hung the frame/tranny crossover up on the edge. That was the only time I couldn't get out by myself, my kid had a tough time pulling it out. A locker of either type wouldn't have helped either time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks