Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another New Member Saying 'Hi' with an M944A1

Private
    Thanks

Default Another New Member Saying 'Hi' with an M944A1

Howdy everyone, and thanks to the admin and such for creating such a site. Lots of great info here that I would not would have had an easy time gathering for my vehicle.

Purchased my rig a little bit ago rather rashly, as my neighbor and fellow volunteer firefighter told me the firehall has been trying to sell a "semi truck" for a while. He told me it had 3.2k miles on it, and they wanted 2.5k for it. I ended up buying this truck blind because I know my neighbor wouldn't mess with me (not his fault for not understanding the road regs of what makes constitutes a semi). Truck is pretty amazing, and even all I ever do is haul hay with it, I'm coming out ahead of where I woulda been 2.5k ago. However, I've been thinking about setting it up as a tender in the 2.5k gallon range, but as of yesterday I got a 1.5k tank to go on it or maybe onto a trailer bed depending on what I find out about the axle and spring limits.

Not gonna go into too much else here, as I'm still trying to find all the info on the site before I start asking questions that have been addressed a million times already. I downloaded all the TMs and MWOs (I think) that pertain to my truck. I'll start sifting through them to find my axle ratings according to the manufacturer's ratings (not the plate in cab) and hopefully find out what all I'm missing to get this DOT certified (CDL holder, 6+ years). I'll look into getting locks for the doors, and an ignition key as well, since if it goes over the road, I'll need to make sure it doesn't go over the road without me in it, or have my effects go missing when I park it to get something. The real fun I think starts when I start researching what I'll need to have to get it cleared as a tender for federal level fires. I plan on swapping the tires out for semi tires; singles on the rear drives. Not gonna be doing much offroad with it, so I think the lower center of gravity, and the ability to hook to standard semi pull trailers will be boon. This truck will be my all rounder for firefighting and around the homefront hauling hay or towing my new toys home, so it needs to wear many hats. As such, sitting it at standard semi height is necessary.

Other thoughts: might put a 5th wheel plate over the tandems, and the neighbor might sell me an adjustable pintle hook/ball hitch that booms up or down that's used for moving single/double wides. If so, it'd open up the door for towing pickup trailers as well as semi trailers. The mount sits flush with the frame, so I could conceivably haul anything and everything up to my G(C)VWR.

Anyways, that's all I got. Pleased to be here, hopefully for many years.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 460 Posts

Hi, and welcome from overseas.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 807 Posts

Welcome aboard from Nevada.
    1972 M35A2C W/W, 1986 M105A2, 1953 M38A1, S250 Shelter. "He was old and wise, which meant tired and disappointed" T.E. Lawrence

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 755 Posts

Welcome from Kentucky, congrats on your new truck. Find the operators manual, lots of good info contained.
    Also add your state of residence to your info, site requirement.
    Have fun, Be safe.
    I'm not saying let's eliminate all the stupid people. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

1997 M35A3C, 1987 M35A2C, 1973 M35A2C, 1971 M813A1 W/W, 1985 M931A1, 1985 M925, 1972 m817, 1984 M936, 1984 M923, M105A1 (4ea), 1972 M38A1, MEP 002a on M116A3. MEP531A, MEP501s
    2 dogs, 2 cats
    MVPA, NRA, AOPA

Satisfied BEEFCO customer.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,142 Posts

Welcome to the site. How about posting some pictures of your truck and it's 'Home?' When you have time.
    FV. 432. Armoured Personal Carrier.
    M54A2 I.H. M62. wrecker
    M54A2 5 Ton (with Radio Body. ex praga command station)
    M45 530C fire truck
    M561 Gamma Goat
    1942 Ford Jeep (with underfloor tulsa winch)
    1945 Willys Jeep (with V8 flathead Engine) And now 'that' overdrive'..

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,471 Times in 327 Posts

Welcome aboard, wheelsgoround!
    Chris Stansbury, founder of Chris' CUCV Homepage in 1998 and Steel Soldiers in 1999.

Current:
    1962 Dodge M37B1

Gone, but not forgotten:
    M1009, M35A2, M1009, M561, 404 Mog, M818, M923A2, M931A1, M1008, M925A2, M998

HUGE M925A2 Build Thread: https://bit.ly/2uPlSnZ

HUGE M923A2 Build Thread: https://bit.ly/2uO2g3K

Father, lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone.

Thanks

Hello from southern Ohio
    1984 AM General 923 (Shrek) aka Big Girl.

If you need it and don't have it, you're singing a different tune

Ohio motorpool member

Private
    Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

To address a few points: Home state is acronym'd to avoid google analytics, (M)oun(T)ains. If this needs to corrected, I'll do so. I just have a gripe against Google is all. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow. I also meant to say "super singles" not just "singles" in my initial post.

Found the axles to be Rockwells. I'll have to look into the ratings, as the operator's manual doesn't seem to list them, nor did I see anything in the other TMs, but granted I was skimming. Found the famous "these ratings are for extreme offroad conditions" line, but seeing as the 5th wheel configuration was rated to pull 5000 gallons of fuel down a road, I should be okay if I end up using a 5th wheel plate on mine, unless there's a spring or axle weight difference. Anyways, the only things I'm aware of off with the truck, is a low beam is out, the rear brake and turn signal assemblies are after market with the driver's side not working, and the bed has been removed from the frame and replaced with a hay rack (boon, IMO), and finally, there's an alarm that's perma tripped. I think it's for the parking brake, but 120lbs of air in both tanks, and the brakes released doesn't make it stop.

Thanks

Welcome to the site!

I'm the dude, man. Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,688 Times in 2,494 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wheelsgoround View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, guys!

To address a few points: Home state is acronym'd to avoid google analytics, (M)oun(T)ains. If this needs to corrected, I'll do so. I just have a gripe against Google is all. I'll upload some pictures tomorrow. I also meant to say "super singles" not just "singles" in my initial post.

Found the axles to be Rockwells. I'll have to look into the ratings, as the operator's manual doesn't seem to list them, nor did I see anything in the other TMs, but granted I was skimming. Found the famous "these ratings are for extreme offroad conditions" line, but seeing as the 5th wheel configuration was rated to pull 5000 gallons of fuel down a road, I should be okay if I end up using a 5th wheel plate on mine, unless there's a spring or axle weight difference. Anyways, the only things I'm aware of off with the truck, is a low beam is out, the rear brake and turn signal assemblies are after market with the driver's side not working, and the bed has been removed from the frame and replaced with a hay rack (boon, IMO), and finally, there's an alarm that's perma tripped. I think it's for the parking brake, but 120lbs of air in both tanks, and the brakes released doesn't make it stop.
    Where in Montana are you located? The rear tandem is a 44k setup
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1984 AM General M923A1 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT3B turbo, Intercooled, #15 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 8" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, Oshkosh 55000 Transfer Case, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    83' M923A1
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast