• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will not start

Kenneth Cole

OK
I have a 1991 Humvee and yesterday I tried to start her and all I got was a starter selenoid chatter.So I checked the batts and they were dead. Charged them overnight and the same thing just chatter.
So that's why I'm here looking for advice as to what to check.

Ken

papakb

Hi Ken, may I suggest that you use the search function in the upper right corner of this page and search for no start. There are literally dozens of postings on this subject that will give you all the answers you need and more. This is a very common topic on every HMMWV online forum. Retired War Horses has done several of these and knows what he's talking about. You can also look at Gear Report for more excellent information. If you haven't already downloaded and read thru the manuals for the HMMWV you should definitely do that as this topic has been covered extensively by the military and there are flow charts in the -20 manuals that will walk you thru troubleshooting problems. The government manuals were written so even an inexperienced mechanic can get their truck going again.

There are dozens of reasons why the engine won't start and without your input being a little more specific it's hard to know where to start. If you work thru the flowcharts and come back with more information we can narrow things down for you.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Load test the batteries independently, they may charge and show 12 volts but one of them not holding a load will give you the symptoms you are seeing.

Kenneth Cole

Scar59
Hi
I tried one more thing. I charged them back up with nothing hooked up to them and left them overnight. The next day I put the charger back on them and they were both dead. So as you suggested I had them checked under load and they were both bad. I didn't think that they would go bad in just one year.
Thanks for the help.

Ken

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken,
Batteries can be fickle. If they are truely one year old, I'd take them back to the store/seller. If they came w/ the vehicle their age would be questionable. Wyoming weather/winters can be tough on equipment, especially batteries. I recently purchased two Group 31 for a deuce, topped them off , installed, truck wouldn't turn over, pulled them and load tested and one was dead as a door nail, it was a week old, manufactured in Sept 18. - go figure. Took it back and got another new one. Start with two new ones, good to go.

papakb

Last go round with batteries I went with 24Fs from Costco figuring I could get them replaced almost anywhere if I had a problem with them. Make sure you get the ones with the flat covers and the stock hold down bracket will work fine and since they're the same length they fit in the battery tray perfectly. I added some foam on the sides as much for insulation as to prevent any side to side motion.

Duracell 24F batteries.JPG

Last edited:

riderdan

I've had battery problems with mine that I eventually solved with a battery balancer and 24v trickle charger. The charger is wired to a NATO slave plug so it's easy to throw on the truck if it's going to sit for an extended period of time, and the battery balancer allows the charger to charge both batteries to capacity.

I agree with papakb, too. Go with easily-obtainable batteries that come with a warranty. My truck showed up with Walmart batteries in it. The two times I've had a battery die, Walmart replaced them under warranty, no receipt needed. and I was back in business the same day. That would be trickier with the 6TLs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks