• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference in HUMMWV Designations

bryanrexford

Hello all,
Been stalking the forum for a while and just joined today as I'm a bit stumped. I've scoured the net and this forum, but it seems every post leads to more confusion ultimately. In one thread the question was exactly what I was looking for, but the whole thing got derailed and the original question was never really answered.
First, I've been looking around trying to educate myself on the HMMWV before purchasing. I've ridden in them before, but until today I had never driven one. I took a 94 6.2l 3spd for a test drive and I don't think the 3spd is for me. Very hard to sustain speed without feeling like you are really working the motor which I had read and suspected, but the ride and manuverability... awesome! I've driven many wranglers and CJs and every **** one was a white knuckle experience; one had a very expensive lift/setup and it was still just complete crap so I kind of expected the HMMWV to be the same way. The same it was NOT! Other than feeling like I was going to blow the motor above 50mph it was incredible.
So basically, I guess that means the M998 is out. But, this is where some confusion sets in. I see some M998A1's had the 4spd? So then I start trying to learn the difference between the M998, A1 and A2 then the MXXXX designation seems to be more/as important in regards to equipment I guess? I'm a bit lost in what I should be looking for here; either on the civilian market or GP. It all seems kind of ambiguous to me so I'm a bit perplexed.
I understand the last two digits have to do with configurations, but then what's the difference between the M10XX and the M11XX? Did any M998s come with the 4spd or was that a swap only? From what I've read the M1123 has a beefier suspension, frame and other upgrades, but do all M11XX variations have the same upgrades?
Thanks in advance, Bryan

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BLK HMMWV

HMMWV's came out in the mid early 80's. all were 6.2 with 3 speed trans.
A0's then they started getting upgrades. they would upgrade existing units as well as upgrading from AM General
The A1 was an upgrade to the A0, A2's are upgrades to the A1.
Some people like myself took our early trucks and have replaced parts on them to essentially upgraded them to A2's

Some trucks were built from the factory for specific needs for a certain branch of the service.
Marine Corps trucks vs. Army.

You can upgrade any of the early trucks to the 6.5 N/A or TD with the 4 speed it just takes time and money.
Better to find one with the 6.5 N/A or TD and 4l80 already in it if your wanting one then to try and source the parts unless your a wrench turner.

just type in the M# of the variant and look at all the differences.
if the variant was armored then the frame, suspension , tires , springs , doors, and the like will all be heavier requiring beefier parts.

DREDnot

From what I've read, it seems like the easiest way to ID a four speed machine in somebody's pics is look at the shifter knobs...

Four speed trans with P and OD...
4 speed shifter.jpg

Three speed no Park
3 speed shifter.jpg

bryanrexford

Thanks guys. I guess I was confusing myself with the M9XX, M10XX, M11XX thinking those correlated more than they appear to.

I appreciate it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The description of each truck is in the first pages of the -10 operators manual.
you can also google “hmmwv variants” there are charts on the web.

this is a military vehicle and geared low, the 6.2 with 3 speed is just fine at 60mph, this motor/trans package is not any different then a Chevy pickup in the same years. An OD gear drops the Rpms significantly and makes for a more comfortable drive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks