Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sherpa winch vs PTO winch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shannondeese View Post
    On one of my A2s I have a PTO winch installed that I rarely use. On my other A2 it doesnít have a winch and I have no plans to install one. On my A3 I am adding bumper extensions and a Sherpa 25k winch that Iíll probably only use in an emergency. But I want it available if I ever need it.
    Yeah I'm thinking this is the route I will probably end up going.

@rustystud
    Maintenance space and leaks are a great consideration!
    I won't have a full time use for this winch, it'll only be used for the times that I totally screw up and think that this truck can handle it and get totally stuck. sadly enough, getting trucks stuck in the worst places and by myself is kinda my MO... It's like I never learn! Haha
    1988 M35A2c

Thanks
    Thanked 6,386 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking this is the route I will probably end up going.

@rustystud
    Maintenance space and leaks are a great consideration!
    I won't have a full time use for this winch, it'll only be used for the times that I totally screw up and think that this truck can handle it and get totally stuck. sadly enough, getting trucks stuck in the worst places and by myself is kinda my MO... It's like I never learn! Haha
    An electric winch will serve you well then. Remember to buy some "snatch blocks".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

98G (01-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,420 Posts

If your truck came with a PTO winch you will most likely stand by it like a good hooker stands by her prices. If it did not go with electric.
    Deuce PTO winch can carry a lot of line if you have to double / triple out. The Sherpa says it only carries 105 feet. If you have to double out you better hope there is something close. As Kenny said first gear low and slow in winch you just let out the clutch and let the truck and winch work together. Con my .02 is the sear pin it does not take much for that aluminum pin to pop but it does protect the winch and you pocket book. Yes you can use a low grade bolt but you better be care full. If you pop that aluminum pin and the front end is in the mud it will be no fun to replace it if you even can get to it to see what going on. You will need a drift punch and hammer to push out the broken piece. If a seal goes bad on me I just drain it and add corn head grease and no problems. Don't see how the PTO shaft would ever be a problem if you had injection pump problems but what ever.
    When in doubt double out PTO or electric and if you can carry extra line of some sort. I like extra cable that will run through a snatch block. Main thing I have tattooed on my forehead backwards so I can read it in my rear view mirror is check the depth of the hole you think you can drive through and does it have a bottom. Think and know are two different things so carry a probe rod. When it comes to the extra rigging bigger / heaver is not always better if you ever tried to walk in knee deep mud with a 40 pound block and extra line/chain. Correct size block and I use to carry extra nylon and 120 feet of cable on a reel.
    Last edited by Floridianson; 01-08-2019 at 19:59.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs! Me strong as bull smart as tractor. James

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Floridianson For This Useful Post:

Menaces Nemesis (01-10-2019), MudMarine (01-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Floridianson View Post
    If your truck came with a PTO winch you will most likely stand by it like a good hooker stands by her prices. If it did not go with electric.
    Deuce PTO winch can carry a lot of line if you have to double / triple out. The Sherpa says it only carries 105 feet. If you have to double out you better hope there is something close. As Kenny said first gear low and slow in winch you just let out the clutch and let the truck and winch work together. Con my .02 is the sear pin it does not take much for that aluminum pin to pop but it does protect the winch and you pocket book. Yes you can use a low grade bolt but you better be care full. If you pop that aluminum pin and the front end is in the mud it will be no fun to replace it if you even can get to it to see what going on. You will need a drift punch and hammer to push out the broken piece. If a seal goes bad on me I just drain it and add corn head grease and no problems. Don't see how the PTO shaft would ever be a problem if you had injection pump problems but what ever.
    When in doubt double out PTO or electric and if you can carry extra line of some sort. I like extra cable that will run through a snatch block. Main thing I have tattooed on my forehead backwards so I can read it in my rear view mirror is check the depth of the hole you think you can drive through and does it have a bottom. Think and know are two different things so carry a probe rod. When it comes to the extra rigging bigger / heaver is not always better if you ever tried to walk in knee deep mud with a 40 pound block and extra line/chain. Correct size block and I use to carry extra nylon and 120 feet of cable on a reel.
    I would never tell anyone who already had a winch mounted to remove it for a electric winch.
    I always carry the correct size rigging never said to carry larger. Also when working alongside the engine and transmission, it is a pain to deal with the winch driveline in the way. I just drop it to make room.
    Also with my electric winch I don't need someone in the cab to stop the winch from ripping it self or anything else apart. I'm not young enough to run and jump in the cab anymore.
    As far as seals leaking on the PTO. You cannot put "cornhead" grease in the whole transmission. I guess you could but the transmission would not last long.
    Your correct about the amount of line the electric holds. That is why I always carry extra chain and line with swaged ends already on it, with shackles.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,420 Posts

Never said to loose a PTO for electric I love my PTO winch's and stand by them. A good Hooker will not lower her price as there is always a John waiting. Yes I miss read, you said PTO seals I was thinking Winch seals. PTO seal leaking just replace them or rebuild the PTO before you install it if you just bought a winch set up. I will try and slow down my reading skills. Guess bottom line is if you have any winch and you think it will always save you in a truck that is as heavy as a Deuce you might want to rethink it. Best to have a friend with a bigger truck and winch and invite them to go. I will still stand by the only down fall with a PTO winch is the shear pin.
    Last edited by Floridianson; 01-09-2019 at 07:52.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs! Me strong as bull smart as tractor. James

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Floridianson For This Useful Post:

Menaces Nemesis (01-10-2019), MudMarine (01-09-2019)

Thanks

Nah I haven't fooled myself that a winch is the end-all be-all to save me, I just know their value in off road applications and would rather have and not need than not have at all... We found a screaming deal on a parts truck that has a complete winch with snatch block. We're getting the truck either way but may or may not cannibalize the winch or just sell it to offset our cost of buying the truck.

Right now, as much as I really love the look of the PTO winch, I'm thinking the 25k Sherpa might better suit our wants.
    1988 M35A2c

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudMarine For This Useful Post:

rustystud (01-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,208 Times in 4,594 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    Nah I haven't fooled myself that a winch is the end-all be-all to save me, I just know their value in off road applications and would rather have and not need than not have at all... We found a screaming deal on a parts truck that has a complete winch with snatch block. We're getting the truck either way but may or may not cannibalize the winch or just sell it to offset our cost of buying the truck.

Right now, as much as I really love the look of the PTO winch, I'm thinking the 25k Sherpa might better suit our wants.
    Well, you could always pull a Clinto, have the PTO winch fore and Sherpa aft.
    1986 M1008
    1984 M1031
    1984 M1010

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Recovry4x4 For This Useful Post:

clinto (01-10-2019), Floridianson (01-10-2019)

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuce Doctor. Steel Soldiers Vendor clinto's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,475 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Recovry4x4 View Post
    Well, you could always pull a Clinto, have the PTO winch fore and Sherpa aft.
    I have a Warn M-series 18K on the rear of my truck, but I'd kind of like to buy one of the Sherpas and try it. They're a very competitive price point.

My junker:

20150814_183831.jpg20150815_194334.jpg20150918_194344.jpg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Click here for the Deuce Doctor-MV Servicing and Sales

Click here for the Official 2018 Georgia Rally info thread!

Having a problem searching or finding something on the site? Click here for help!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________
    MVPA #21731
    1968 Baifield M274A5 Mule
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 w/w w/dump conversion
    1987 AM General USAF M35A2C w/w
    1987 Turtle Mountain M105A2

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clinto For This Useful Post:

Jbulach (01-10-2019), Menaces Nemesis (01-10-2019), MudMarine (01-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clinto View Post
    I have a Warn M-series 18K on the rear of my truck, but I'd kind of like to buy one of the Sherpas and try it. They're a very competitive price point.

My junker:

20150814_183831.jpg20150815_194334.jpg20150918_194344.jpg
    I'm going to buy the Sherpa and mount it in the back like you did. That way if I'm stuck either front or back I can winch out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Floridianson View Post
    I will still stand by the only down fall with a PTO winch is the shear pin.
    That and you need two people to safely operate it. I don't always have a friend along when I go play.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast