Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Sherpa winch vs PTO winch

Thanks
    Thanked 6,374 Times in 3,157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Floridianson View Post
    Yes inspection of the outside cable is a good thing but if you have a solid core it is hard to inspect the inside. They make a grease injector rig for injecting grease into a cable but it can be a pain if there is a lot of cable. They got us one for the tug boat but I don't think we ever used it.
    So you've been working on the tug's too ! Don't they use that synthetic rope now? I remember watching "How it's Made" and all the tugs seemed to be using that Purple synthetic rope.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rustystud For This Useful Post:

davidb56 (03-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,418 Posts

The 230 foot fuel barge had a rope hawser and the Tug had steel cable. I was offshore towing late 1970's Louisiana. Its was funny first day on the job and I figured that when we let out maybe 400 feet of the cable it would pull tight and we would be towing. No the line has a big belly and almost seems like the tug pulls the belly and the belly pulls the barge. Ruff water you wanted a big belly in the cable. Good job, good food, great people.
    Last edited by Floridianson; 01-12-2019 at 17:30.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs! Me strong as bull smart as tractor. James

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rustystud View Post
    An electric winch will serve you well then. Remember to buy some "snatch blocks".
    And a circuit breaker between the winch and batteries. I use my winch on my dodge cummins pulling firewood in the woods a lot. Im buying a Deuce now to replace the dodge and will add a 18-24K winch. I have snatch blocks, shackles and pull cables with extra crosby cable clamps. Remember to gets some good (from a rigging supply, not HF, in this case) 20k "basket" rated eyed straps to wrap around trees and set your block for either doubling up your pulling power, or angle pulling to keep you from going someplace you don't want to be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rustystud View Post
    So you've been working on the tug's too ! Don't they use that synthetic rope now? I remember watching "How it's Made" and all the tugs seemed to be using that Purple synthetic rope.
    my auger truck had synthetic, If I could find some cheap (like me) Id use it.DSCF0015.jpg

Thanks

The Sherpa Stallion has synthetic rope option. 1100$ is a very good price.

Thanks

Yeah I think I'm definitely going electric winch and then hoping to never get stuck!
    1988 M35A2c

Thanks

when I was young (decades ago) you could pick up old WW2/Korean war landing panels real cheap. they were approx 2'x8', 14 guage steel with 1 1/2" holes punched through them with a little 1/8th inch lip to grip the soil. Id like to find about 4 of them for traction mats when I do something stupid. I bet they cost a bundle now if you could actually find some. Seabees would know what they were called.

Thanks

Marston Mat.....I wish I had a few of them for traction. And my dimensions were wrong....

Thanks

he snatch block is your friend. The issue for a WW truck is one but I would carry more if I was going someplace where I expected to get stuck. A block can do 3 things but one at a time: develop mechanical advantage, change the direction of the pull or serve as a trolley block. The ratio of sheave size to the cable is 12:1. 1.5" cable = 6" block. If the sheave is appropriate for the cable then the hook and sideplates should match too. Pic of a 3:1 "Z" rig with 3/4" cable and 60 ton blocks attached.scan0002.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fasttruck For This Useful Post:

davidb56 (03-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,374 Times in 3,157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fasttruck View Post
    he snatch block is your friend. The issue for a WW truck is one but I would carry more if I was going someplace where I expected to get stuck. A block can do 3 things but one at a time: develop mechanical advantage, change the direction of the pull or serve as a trolley block. The ratio of sheave size to the cable is 12:1. 1.5" cable = 6" block. If the sheave is appropriate for the cable then the hook and sideplates should match too. Pic of a 3:1 "Z" rig with 3/4" cable and 60 ton blocks attached.scan0002.jpg
    Is that a M60 or M48 tank ? Looks like a M48 but it has been a while since I last saw one .
    I like the way they used the snatch blocks here. Basically it is a "Quad" pull (doubled and then doubled again) with a third less line used. When I went through Tank school they taught us all kinds of rigging technics to basically "unstick" a Tank.
    I still find it quite fascinating how a single line from a single winch can be configured to pull such tremendous loads by just using a few snatch blocks and anchor points.
    Those ancient Greeks where pretty smart ! At least I think it was the ancient Greeks. Maybe they stole the idea from some other ancient race that got wiped out. At any rate it was some ancient man who came up with the original idea.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4