• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sherpa winch vs PTO winch

vvwilkins

ok, way late to the party and thread ... thought I'd share, just finished installing my second Sherpa 25k winch on the 5ton. This one I mounted on the stern with synthetic line. Here's a couple pics of my install. Replaced the supplied 12.9 bolts with ARP (after the pics were taken) for a bit more sheer force margin. Included in the pics is the Sherpa 25k on the nose too.

Attachments

Last edited:

MudMarine

ok, way late to the party and thread ... thought I'd share, just finished installing my second Sherpa 25k winch on the 5ton. This one I mounted on the stern with synthetic line. Here's a couple pics of my install. Replaced the supplied 12.9 bolts with ARP (after the pics were taken) for a bit more sheer force margin. Included in the pics is the Sherpa 25k on the nose too.
That's alright because I still hawk this thread! I haven't gotten around to putting up the funds to build the Deuce up. I definitely dig your set ups and thank you for sharing!!

92ramaro

Well since someone else already revived this thread,

I installed the factory PTO winch on my Kaiser M35 over an electric powered unit solely because I planned on using it regularly for dragging logs out of the woods. Didn't want to worry about burning up an electric motor.
I will confirm after a few months of use it is a PIA to use alone, though it is incredibly strong. I'd sure like a snatch block but haven't needed one yet. If the log I am winching gets stuck on another tree, the winch will drag my truck with all 6 wheels locked up easily. And that's with the factory aluminum shear pin.
Biggest drawback that I've noticed is not being able to see whether your line is bunching up on the drum while in the cab. And you cannot disengage the winch from the lever on the winch itself when the cable is loaded. Only explaining these details because I couldn't find them on the forum before I did the install.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks