• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hemtt shafts problem

toudi

Hi Guys ,today on the freeway I broke shaft ujoint on rear axle. I spent couple hours trying to remove good one on the side of the road , I needed to use a torch to cut ,and remove whole shaft.
I was thinking that I can drive just on 3 axle , but no , I needed to attach 8x8 , WHY ?
Dose anybody now part nr for yoke , because is completely smashed up.
thank you

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Which yoke did you break? On which axle? Or attach some pics.

And which model HEMTT? Or is it an MK48 style truck? The regular m977s should be able to drive with it if you busted a rear rear shaft then you have to use the axle interlock lock so you engage the forward rear tandem power divider or you could engage the front axle to pull.

The oshkosh 55000 transfer case in a m977 985 series variants is nothing special and will let power go any direction. The MK48s I assume are that way as well since they can operate on just 2 axle with the power unit itself

toudi

Thank you for response
My is M983, I was thinking that that power is always on 2 rear axles, even if I disconnected last one [4] I still can drive using just 3 one without turning on 8x8

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for response
My is M983, I was thinking that that power is always on 2 rear axles, even if I disconnected last one [4] I still can drive using just 3 one without turning on 8x8
No. Only the rear rear axle is powered without the interlock engaged.

Gunzy

The drive configuration is a bit odd on HEMTTs. Standard is only the #4 axle powered. With Interlock you should power both #3 and #4 but it also interlocks the #1 and #2 axles even though the transfer case is not supplying power. In 8X8 you are actually only 4X4 as interlocks are not engaged so only axle #1 and #4 are powered. In Low range you will also only power #1 and #4 unless you also select Interlock which then will give you true 8X8 powering all 4 axles. I have plans to put another selector in so I can engage the transfer case in High and also select interlock so I can get true 8X8 in High range not just low. Hope this helps you.

toudi

thank you
one problem explained,
I been trying to find parts , shaft and axle yoke but no luck , what I funded it's whole rear axle , any idea for parts nr ?
shaft probably I can order to build in shafts shops , but axle output ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Which yoke did you break? For which axle? The driveshaft and yoke are common parts. I just need to know which shaft on which axle you broke to tell you what parts numbers and what parts you need They are different among each axle for yoke lengths and shaft splines.. Can you take some pictures of everything. The u joints are all 5-280Xs on the truck other things can have differences though. Pictures are worth alot more than words thanks

toudi

I broke last ujoint on rear last axle [4], I need shaft between two rear axles [3-4], and rear axle [4] yoke , Im thinking that is English name for this part, I'm from Poland
thank you

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The shaft number you need is a 917059-0912 It is not available thru anyone that I have found. So being made is not that big of a deal. if its not bent to heck they can weld new yokes on each end. I have a New in the box Driveshaft for the Transfer case to the No 3 axle but not the 3 to 4.

The yoke you need for the input on the # 4 axle is Spicer part number 5-4-5511X found thru ebay for about $200 or so or your local parts place can order it directly from spicer. The Crossville, TN warehouse is showing 133 of them in stock. This would be the yoke that bolts to the axle that your u joint would go into for the input side of the #4 axle. it is # 43 in the pictured TM

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom0351

It was very interesting to read all of the interpretations of which drive axle does what, the whole 8x8, 4x4, and the best is that only the rear axle drives in normal operation. I'm happy that the yoke and shaft problem were solved. I do enjoy this site. Thanks guys.

toudi

Simp5782 ,where I can find a manual with this pictures that you post on #11 ? it will prevent me to ask this stupid Questions
Is yoke coming out from axle 3 to the shaft to axle 4 ,is the same part nr that you give me for yoke on axle 4 ?
I been used torch to cut ujoint on this yoke, looks ok ,but Im worry that is maybe overheated and have some internal damage ,and maybe its good idea to replace this yoke too.
Behind this yokes are probably oil seals ,do you now parts nr for them ?
Im really appreciate it

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Click on the tab technical manuals above. Click on present conflict vehicles. Page 2 has the hemtt manuals

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... The u joints are all 5-280Xs on the truck...........
The OP said his is an M983 and that he broke the rear U-joint on the rear inter axle-shaft, plus the corresponding input yoke on axle #4.
Now, according to TM 9-2320-279-24P1, Fig. 168, Item #4, those particular U-joints are of the smaller 1610-series (5-279X).
It seems that only the M984 and M984A1 variants have the stronger U-joints there.

Then in post #11 you gave him the Spicer equivalent part number for that #4 input yoke: 5-4-5511X, plus the drive shaft part number (= NSN 2520-01-254-1278 ), which are both correct for the M983 (per TM).

So maybe it was obvious, but for the sake of completeness, and since I can't seem to find where you posted it: that DS, as well as the yoke - takes the 5-279X U-joints, not the 5-280X.

toudi

Guys I have small problem to find correct parts, axle nr 3, rear yoke.
According to the PM fig.182 item 3 there is two difrent yokes ?
and only item 8 and 9 ( nut and washer),
but TM 10-14 showing oil seal, but not part number.
any idea ?
thank you

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Figure 182 part # 13. That is the seal for the OUTPUT of the 3rd axle to the 4th axle. Part number 113514. The input seal for the #3 axle for the transfer case side is #113515

Those are both Eaton Fuller numbers Both are found on ebay for cheap.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The OP said his is an M983 and that he broke the rear U-joint on the rear inter axle-shaft, plus the corresponding input yoke on axle #4.
Now, according to TM 9-2320-279-24P1, Fig. 168, Item #4, those particular U-joints are of the smaller 1610-series (5-279X).
It seems that only the M984 and M984A1 variants have the stronger U-joints there.

Then in post #11 you gave him the Spicer equivalent part number for that #4 input yoke: 5-4-5511X, plus the drive shaft part number (= NSN 2520-01-254-1278 ), which are both correct for the M983 (per TM).

So maybe it was obvious, but for the sake of completeness, and since I can't seem to find where you posted it: that DS, as well as the yoke - takes the 5-279X U-joints, not the 5-280X.
My mistake. However it uses 1710s (280X for the Transmission to transfer case and Transfer case to power axles being # 2 and # 3 axles use that joint. They use the smaller 1610s - 279 joints for between the axles like the 5 tons do. Contrary to our conversation you and I had over dinner about the 4 inch driveshafts on the HEMTTs. The Transmission to Transfer used a 4 inch shaft. The Transfer to # 3 axle shaft is a 3.75 and uses 280x joints. However the shafts between the axles are 3.5" diameter using 1610s. Some idiot at oshkosh thought to make things not all the same. i don't get their reasoning

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys I have small problem to find correct parts, axle nr 3, rear yoke.
According to the PM fig.182 item 3 there is two difrent yokes ? ....
You need to pay more attention to the UOC listings... (UOC stands for "Usable-On-Code", with the different codes explained in the introduction, page 6 of the parts book TM 9-2320-279-24P)
Fig. 182 - Item #3 shows two different part numbers because there is one for the H04 & H40 codes (M984 & /A1 models, with the bigger 1710 U-joints), and the other yoke for all other models with the #1610 series U-joints.). What you need is part# 1426400W (NSN 2520-01-192-1373) Its equivalent DANA part# is 5-4-8711X, according to PartTarget, here...
... and only item 8 and 9 ( nut and washer)...
Obviously they are the same for all models.

but TM 10-14 showing oil seal, but not part number.
Your seal would be item #13 , 113514 which has the NSN 5330-01-157-0897. Or #2AG761, directly from Oshkosh Corp.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks