• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803 voltage erratic

bosko

Hello, this is my 3rd 803. I hope to install one at my parents house and another at mine for emergency power. I just got this mep started after doing some cleaning up, oil, filters, anti freeze, belts, quad fuse, mov then breaking free a sticky IP, fuel lines.... After getting this one started I noticed the voltage meter readings were wobbling +/- 20 volts. I couldn’t find my fluke meter at the time to see if the gage was correct.

Has anyone else experience this before?

This Mep has 500hours on the gauge.

https://youtu.be/4zbyEJ2DZSs

jamawieb

That's a gauge problem. Your gauge would never be able to keep up with changes like its reading, if it was actually the generator. Use your fluke and you'll see perfect voltage.

Dock Rocker

Yea, until you verify it with a meter there isn’t much troubleshooting that can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exercise AM-VM switch with a few squirts of contact cleaner. My switches needed some exercise to remove corrosion. Also the voltage pot.
Agree, my volt meter wasn't working at all in one of my sets. Cleaned up voltage pot and S6 and exercised it and it works perfectly.

If those rotary switches were more element proof, they would be far more reliable.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a gauge problem. Your gauge would never be able to keep up with changes like its reading, if it was actually the generator. Use your fluke and you'll see perfect voltage.
I didn't think those meter movements had that much dampening.

Guyfang

Staff member
Could also be a loose wire. The meter take its signal from S6. So if you mesure at the load terminals or the 120 volt outlet, and the voltage is steady, then take your readings straight from the terminals on the back of the meter. Good? Meter bad. Still not good, Go to S6, and work your way back to the meter. And like everyone has mentioned, clean out S6.

Agree, my volt meter wasn't working at all in one of my sets. Cleaned up voltage pot and S6 and exercised it and it works perfectly.

If those rotary switches were more element proof, they would be far more reliable.
I had exactly the same problem but initially I thought my controls were just dirty but it turns out that the two left terminals on the voltage regulator wires were loose my suggestion is go through the machine carefully slowly and methodically check every screw

Could also be a loose wire. The meter take its signal from S6. So if you mesure at the load terminals or the 120 volt outlet, and the voltage is steady, then take your readings straight from the terminals on the back of the meter. Good? Meter bad. Still not good, Go to S6, and work your way back to the meter. And like everyone has mentioned, clean out S6.
I had the same problem and that’s exactly what it was for me loose wire on the voltage regulator

Hello, this is my 3rd 803. I hope to install one at my parents house and another at mine for emergency power. I just got this mep started after doing some cleaning up, oil, filters, anti freeze, belts, quad fuse, mov then breaking free a sticky IP, fuel lines.... After getting this one started I noticed the voltage meter readings were wobbling +/- 20 volts. I couldn’t find my fluke meter at the time to see if the gage was correct.

Has anyone else experience this before?

This Mep has 500hours on the gauge.

https://youtu.be/4zbyEJ2DZSs
Spray everything with a good cleaner Check the terminals on the voltage regulator one of them might be loose slowly wiggle everything see if any crimped connection has come apart

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks