Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rented a Load Bank

Thanks
    Thanked 3,870 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bosko View Post
    Mep-803

I rented a load bank. I wanted a 30kw but they only had a 100kw so I wonít be able to get much variations in the load to test with.

I didnít get as early of a start as I wanted. I fired the generator up and decided to let it warm up before I put some load on it. So I went the bath room and came back. Right when I walked up to the generator it shut off...

It would not start back up because it tripped the CB1 breaker. I restarted it and it ran for 20 seconds and died and it tripped cb1. To I reset cb1 and and turn it to prime run and it tripped cb1....

I took much longer than I should have to figure it out. Turned out the primary fuel pump went bad?. It was pulling 16amps not making pumping noise then tripping cb1. So I stole a fuel pump from another generator and warmed it up and played with the load bank for a little bit before it was dark. I will run it for real when it stops raining.

Running this load bank in 120/208 3phase it looks like my options of load are:

3.5 kw
    7.5 kw
    ~11kw
    ~15kw

After doing a short 15 minis of warming up to 11kw I set it to 15kw and it ran for about 15 mins then the overload light came on and it dropped the load. I need to find in the TM the overload parameters so I can test to see if itís working. If anyone can point it out to me that would be helpful!

Also, given my above options of load, will running this generator all day at 11kw be a good enough test/work out?

Pic showing 16amps on fuel pump
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...71aaa08afa.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8f2ad2332c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0d543989cd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...24e84afa82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The set is designed to warm up faster, and run cooler with the doors closed. It's ok for short time periods, to run with open door, but if you love this thing, take good care of it. Looked like a clean set, but not enough pictures of the insides and control panel inside.

Why didn't you hook the load bank up to the distribution box? It looked like a two set PP, (Power Plant). Then you can play with the synchronization functions? Shift load back and forth.
    Last edited by Guyfang; 01-07-2019 at 14:43.

General
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Light in the Dark View Post
    I hadn't read the fine print on their tech document on the LPW4, but everything you said is correct. Kind of silly... but I suppose all manufacturers dabble in the grey area of "marketing facts".
    No gray area. Engines are rated that way what they produce is another story.

Have you noticed that they have started rating generator run time at 25 percent load? Whats next zero load? Lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bmxenbrett For This Useful Post:

Buickrat (01-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,365 Times in 622 Posts

Howdy.
    For all purposes, I will only go up to a 133% load for maybe 5 minutes. Then back down to 100% or 75%. Of course the whole time sitting, watching, listening, and reading gauges, reading a infrared thermometer to see where everything is at.

A good 100% load for a while is a good test, and cleanup.

Acquired a Military surplus load bank
    ~~Later Mike

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daybreak For This Useful Post:

Bmxenbrett (01-08-2019), Guyfang (01-08-2019), m32825 (01-08-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guyfang View Post
    The set is designed to warm up faster, and run cooler with the doors closed. It's ok for short time periods, to run with open door, but if you love this thing, take good care of it. Looked like a clean set, but not enough pictures of the insides and control panel inside.

Why didn't you hook the load bank up to the distribution box? It looked like a two set PP, (Power Plant). Then you can play with the synchronization functions? Shift load back and forth.
    I hooked up directly to the generator because I’m not familiar the transfer box. I was going to Test each generator individually then afterwards try out the transfer box. I would like to play with it. I haven’t seen a Video of one being used yet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bosko For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (01-08-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bmxenbrett View Post
    Its a 10k generator with a bit more. 15k is alot more. I would do 11k and if you dont see major black soot/smoke in a few minutes i could call it good. Overloading it could be dammaging to the generator. That kind of defeats the purpose of a maintence load test.

How much does it cost to rent a load bank?
    The load bank was $1,400 for 4 weeks. I only wanted it for one week and it was not much more to keep if the the month for some odd reason. I have some new to me MEP803s to test as I get them running, a a couple 002a that I will get rid of that I have had sitting for couple years and a 005 that Iím holding on to for the end times bock party . The official reason why I rented one for work is to have the plant electrician test the office natural gas backup generator. Its never been load checked since it was installed over 15 years ago. Never new about loadbanks I till I bought a mep for hobby/home emergency power.

i made a 30kw bank from scrap 18Ē pipe and water heater elements but itís rusted away and I stole the load center with breakers for another project. I also wanted to take a look inside a real load bank as I want to make one out of several 5500 watt Dyer elements to go to 30kw 1ph 120/240 and 3ph 120/208. Iím not an electrician but I play one when Iím hooking up my toy mep generators.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bosko For This Useful Post:

Light in the Dark (01-08-2019)

General
    Thanks

Not sure how a 3ph heating element would be wired but i do know dryer elements are cheap. Real cheap. I got my 5kw for $15 shipped. I got 3 so i can wire in series or parallel and everywhere inbetween.

There was a real nice load bank a guy made on here. I believe it was dryer elements and a duct fan, all enclosed and looked very nice. Mine looks more like a old box fan with a dryer element welded on.

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks

A few folks here have put load banks together (I was one). Its nice... but I might change how I do things, and wire up a separate locking power inlet, wired up to a variable electric heater for my garage. That way I can load test my generators AND stay warm(er) when wrenching in the winter!
    Non Semper Erit Aestas

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (01-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,870 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bosko View Post
    I hooked up directly to the generator because I’m not familiar the transfer box. I was going to Test each generator individually then afterwards try out the transfer box. I would like to play with it. I haven’t seen a Video of one being used yet.
    The switch box is tooooooooo easy. If you need references, the proper TM's are in the forum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Light in the Dark View Post
    A few folks here have put load banks together (I was one). Its nice... but I might change how I do things, and wire up a separate locking power inlet, wired up to a variable electric heater for my garage. That way I can load test my generators AND stay warm(er) when wrenching in the winter!
    Consider this: Contact one of your local HVAC guys, they often upgrade heat pump systems for customers that require new air handlers to accommodate the newer larger coils. Let them take the coil for scrap and volunteer to take the rest of the old air handler ( I have been known to drop off a couple dozen fresh donuts to the shop first thing in the morning). The old air handler usually has a set of heat coils in 5KW increments. Cut the box as short as practical, cover the open ends with hardware cloth, install toggle switches on the low voltage control circuit of each heat strip, add a double throw switch to the motor for the low and high side. You now have a 2 speed load bank with multiple resistance loads. Around here most heat pumps have 20 KW heat strips. You can turn them on 5 KW at a time. If you have a good contact you might be able to snag a 3 phase unit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    48-CJ2A; 52-M37
    84-M1008; 71-AM. GEN. M35A2 W/W
    82-PARKHURST M105A2
    63-Johnson M332 Ammo Trailer
    66-Johnson M332 Ammo Trailer

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cjcottrill For This Useful Post:

Farmitall (01-08-2019)

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks

That could work. I might just do what I said, and simply change the cable termination on my load bank to a locking plug and be done with it, as I've already invested in the elements and fan, and I know it works. This way I can still use it in the garage, but instead of being ceiling mounted it would be 2-3' off the floor.
    Non Semper Erit Aestas

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:

BeStihl (01-09-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast