• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non-military rear brake chamber number ?

1951M1078

Have a leaking rear brake chamber (parking brake )side. Is their a non-military.
Looks like this.cropped-2530-01-394-8332 Rear Air Brake Chamber for LMTV and FMTV Trucks NOS (3).jpg military number is X24-3276J-10
Thanks

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have not seen non mil ones. But I do believe it can be rebuilt by a heavy equip shop. I have some used ones. There are 2 different types. They changed around 1997.

yertnamreg

where do you get that this Euclid product is the same as the Meritor used on the trucks?
It's been a while since I found it. I had a leak in one of mine, and started searching for "0912 piggyback" under the assumption that since the chamber sizes are standard any brand should work that's when I found the Euclid one. The one I actually ended up buying was from a surplus place that only had one (for $25 nonetheless!!!). It was Haldex 41M001. I can confirm from personal experience the haldex one fits without issue. I have never purchased the Euclid one, but I believe it should work.

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The military design and the civilian version use the same principle of operation. Does not matter who made it. The military used civilian designs for a reason. Simplicity and parts availability. All the wedges. Seals and springs interchange between the fleets

It's called a piggyback 9/12. Not common but used in the old days. Caging bolt a 9/12 or a 12/12 is part # 44M011

The split in the years will speaks of they went from uncommon 9/12 to a 12/16 which is what the 939 series trucks use and is much more readily available.

On an LMTV you can upgrade to 12 long tube and add the 12/16 piggy or if you can find the short stems go for it.

coachgeo

For those newbies that might not catch it....... following minor revision of simp5782's post might help.

The military design and the civilian version use the same principle of operation. Does not matter who made it. The military used civilian designs for a reason. Simplicity and parts availability. All the wedges. Seals and springs interchange between the fleets. It's called a piggyback 9/12. Not common but used in the old days. Caging bolt a 9/12 or a 12/12 is part # 44M011

The split in the years Will / Suprman speaks of in an earlier post they went from uncommon 9/12 to a 12/16 which is what the 939 series trucks use and is much more readily available.

On an LMTV you can upgrade to 12 long tube and add the 12/16 piggy or if you can find the short stems go for it.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Wes, (or anyone else whom may know)

. what in the the revised info below also pertains to the front brakes...... I assume most all of it; but maybe the tube(pushrod)/stem? In below image the front tube/stem seems to show the long is neccissary?
. If oem is a short stem/tube but all you can find is long...... can brake shop or yourself cut the inside tube/pushrod and have end threaded with correct nut and have the stem shortened and rethreaded as well? Could see when off road the advantage to having the OEM short stem/tube. Things being more tucked in tighter out of the way appear wiser.

http://trucks25tonv1-2.tpub.com/TM-9-2320-365-24P/img/TM-9-2320-365-24P_380_1.jpg (image shows front has long tube and rear short tube(s) )

The military design and the civilian version use the same principle of operation. Does not matter who made it. The military used civilian designs for a reason. Simplicity and parts availability. All the wedges. Seals and springs interchange between the fleets. It's called a piggyback 9/12. Not common but used in the old days. Caging bolt a 9/12 or a 12/12 is part # 44M011

The split in the years Will / Suprman speaks of in an earlier post they went from uncommon 9/12 to a 12/16 which is what the 939 series trucks use and is much more readily available.

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

It's been a while since I found it. I had a leak in one of mine, and started searching for "0912 piggyback" under the assumption that since the chamber sizes are standard any brand should work that's when I found the Euclid one. The one I actually ended up buying was from a surplus place that only had one (for $25 nonetheless!!!). It was Haldex 41M001. I can confirm from personal experience the haldex one fits without issue. I have never purchased the Euclid one, but I believe it should work.
Do you have an A0 or A1? They have different size hose connections.

Last edited:

coachgeo

So the suicide spring is on the back half of the piggy back. You just cage them and replace?
to clarify...... yes you can cage them and change the whole kitten kaboodle in one piece, If your asking can you pull apart the two halves of the can after spring is caged.... no clue, but my guess is a big fat NO no no....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can rebuild the whole can and replace the spring and everything if need be. You just have to have the correct parts and seals and the brains to know what you are doing and not kill yourself. It is not hard to rebuild the spring side of the can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks