• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Segmented partly-removable LMTV bed?

wandering neurons

Yup, got what you're putting out about shift in pivot point and rearward weight bias. I'm guessing that the rig handles more like a very heavy bumper-pull, not a fifth-wheel/gooseneck/tractor-trailer.

OBTW, I talked to an ex-Army mechanic at work today, he seems to agree that the truck is an A1, not A0, with that removable hitch assembly.

My point was more about the driving characteristics with a heavy trailer and the weight that far to the rear.

wandering neurons

OK, some additional information and thought...
Thought - eliminate the intermediate frame, mount the bed directly on the main frame. But that has lots of complications, clearance issues, would need wheel wells tubbed, and probably just look weird.
Information (measurements)
Height of LMTV bed from ground: 60"
Height of LMTV primary frame from ground: 44"
Total length of LMTV bed: about 150" (about 12.5')
Distance from front of LMTV bed to back of cross-bed storage bins: 60"
Distance remaining from back of cross-bed storage bins: about 88". Split that into two 44" sections.
Did not measure to top of intermediate frame, that would be part of the sectioned bed
Height of fifth-wheel overhang from ground: 62" (roughly based on leveled camper). This is not adjustable without putting a lift kit on the camper suspension, raising it even further. This means only 2" between bottom of overhang and LMTV bed. Not enough, and most of the reason for this mental masturbation exercise.
Height of fifth-wheel pin: 54" - though this is usually adjustable at the pin box with about +or - 4"
Length from fifth-wheel pin to front of camper: less than 12" - not a lot of distance needed forward of the pin for straight-ahead driving. However!
Width of fifth-wheel, measured from center of pin to corner of fifth-wheel: 56". This is more than half the width of the camper (48"), but is the minimum radius needed to clear forward of the pin in a turn.
Based on length to cross-bed storage and radius of camper, the pivot point could be no more than 32" from rear of frame, or at least 116" back from front of bed. Which means that the pivot point would be about 10-14" behind the rear axle centerline. This could be compensated with a sliding fifth-wheel hitch like used for short-bed pickups - saddle slides forward for straight-ahead driving, slides back to clear front of camper with back of cab for turns.
Height of primary frame (44") minus height of fifth-wheel pin (54" nominal) allows height of 10" for fifth-wheel saddle, or similar length for a fifth-wheel-to-gooseneck ball adapter.

Next, explore what's under the bed that would have to be altered if the bed is removed. For sure, I'll have problems with the in-bed airdrop sling fittings. Well, maybe not so sure, now that I think. Will have to dig out the tape measure again...

coachgeo

....OBTW, I talked to an ex-Army mechanic at work today, he seems to agree that the truck is an A1, not A0, with that removable hitch assembly.
Don't think so.... pretty sure it is total custom setup. Have seen a mockup vehicle of an A1 with a proposed hitch similar. Maybe he got that bumper? Not sure it ever went into production? OR he copied the idea... Then again.... I've been wrong a time or two thousand

UPDATE judging by post below this one..... make it a time or three thousand.. that I've been wrong. It is an A1

Last edited:

wandering neurons

No further on this thread - I hired professionals to move my fifth wheel when changing job locations. It's cheaper and easier for the once-every-two-to-three-years I change jobs and location.

Though every now and then I look at the dollies (jeeps) that are used for attaching second/third trailers on semis as an option.

Checking back in on this, what ever happened with it? Exploring some options for myself.

Ryan

grndZr0

No further on this thread - I hired professionals to move my fifth wheel when changing job locations. It's cheaper and easier for the once-every-two-to-three-years I change jobs and location.

Though every now and then I look at the dollies (jeeps) that are used for attaching second/third trailers on semis as an option.
Cool, thanks!

Ryan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks