Thread: M1009 mirrors

Private
    Thanks

Default M1009 mirrors

Just got a new M1009 and am coming up with a to do list of small things to fix. Are these side mirrors supposed to be static, or are mine just rusted into place? I haven't built up the courage to give them a really hard push but it seems like they cant be moved.

Thanks

movable , the glass is static in head but head should be adjustable.
    84 M1009
    86 M1008
    86 M1028
    85 M101A2

Thanks
    Thanked 5,504 Times in 2,961 Posts

I have had the mirrors that they want to flop back and forth on the door from slamming the door. I do an easy fix and adjust them remove the lower cover drill an 1/8" hole in the adjustment tube and bracket. I then pop an aluminum rivet in the hole and it holds. And if it does encounter something it just shears the rivet off and I replace it as needed. That mirror design is old school. But it works. Good Luck.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

Thanks

There is 3/8" or 10mm head screw which adjusts the tension of the in/out movement (vertical axis). I suspect rust as the tube is carbon steel and there is a nylon bushing which is clamped by this screw. The mirror also adjusts for up/down aim but to get to that one, you have to replace the glass as it is glued in place. You could try a heat gun on the glass but I fear 7 years bad luck if you try.
    1986 M1031 SECM.
    1985 MEP 002A
    1974 MEP 026C, eventually converting to electric start.

Private
    Thanks

Well thankfully the up/down is stuck about where I want it anyway, so that part works out. I'll open them up and see how bad that screw looks. Thanks for the quick help guys.