• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923/931 as commercial vehicle in Texas

Don Vito

Hey guys, I am brand new to this site, I've read plenty of threads and stuff on here before, but never became a registered user until today. I could use some wisdom from you veteran users with a situation I have. I am looking to buy either a M923 or M931 to use as a commercial motor vehicle in Texas. The law here requires I obtain a Class A CDL to operate it, I know that much, however I am unsure of how to go about registering the truck as a CMV in Texas and getting insurance for it as a CMV. I called my local DMV but they seem to lack any understanding of exactly what I am asking. I'm going to use the truck to haul equipment and material for my business with a GCVWR of 80,000lbs, not going to haul for hire. Anyway, If anyone could help me understand the registration and insurance process I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the site, Don Vito! I edited your thread title so you will get more responses relative to Texas. Good luck!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Don, I can walk you through it as I operate my M915 in the same way. First of all, insurance, we don't get into that discussion on this site, basically walk into an agency that insures commercial trucks and tell them how you wish to operate. Next, you have to establish operating authority with both TXDMV and DOT. Visit the appropriate websites and register online. Next, registration at the tax office. Again, pick which tag you want to operate under (truck or combination) and pay the fees. Mount your plates, print your cab card, paint your dot numbers, get inspected, and operate.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to look into 80,000# with a five ton also. Sounds a bit high.

In Indiana I buy a farm plate and hauling my own stuff does not require a CDL.

Don Vito

Neat NDT. Thank you! By the way, also in reference to what tobys pointed out, I know it is a bit high, and for that reason I am also looking at M915's so in your experience NDT, have you ever had any problems getting stuck with your M915 off road? I make alot of material deliveries to pretty secluded ranches in counties with pretty rough county roads and for this reason I was attracted to the M931 for the 6X6 capabilities, but was concerned about its GCVWR. I know M916's have 6X6, but they are a little outside my budget. Any thoughts on what would be best for my situation? Any input is greatly appreciated, and thank you all for the valuable advice from earlier!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both the 915 and 916 even with 6x6 will get stuck on wet grass with the stock street tires. Now if you replace those tires with the readily available 395s, the traction improves immensely for both trucks, but tire life is greatly reduced.

The 916 is gear bound to about 55 mph and is a lumbering beast of a truck with poor fuel economy. The 915A1 with the 395s is a nimble runner that will run about 65 and get around 6 mpg.

The 931/923 is totally gutless at 80,000 GVW. I don't recommend these trucks for highway hauling.

Don Vito

Both the 915 and 916 even with 6x6 will get stuck on wet grass with the stock street tires. Now if you replace those tires with the readily available 395s, the traction improves immensely for both trucks, but tire life is greatly reduced.

The 916 is gear bound to about 55 mph and is a lumbering beast of a truck with poor fuel economy. The 915A1 with the 395s is a nimble runner that will run about 65 and get around 6 mpg.

The 931/923 is totally gutless at 80,000 GVW. I don't recommend these trucks for highway hauling.
Thank you, so at what approximate weight limit would the 931 begin to fail?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, so at what approximate weight limit would the 931 begin to fail?
I'm not qualified to answer this personally. The weak link on those trucks is the Allison. I think gvws over 50,000 will make for a short transmission life.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you nailed it for the stock power level, at least the little school bus motor in my 925a2. This trucks perfect up to 48k, but the difference in acceleration and braking between 48k to 50-52ish, seems about the same difference as going from 24k to 48k, but boy does it ride nice at 50k vs 24k!

Then theres the whole other story if you have hills to pull...

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Operating a 931 (or any other military vehicle) as a CMV in Texas means you have to pass inspection. This mean you will have to have all the proper clearance lights, etc., which the 931 does not come with. Not a big deal to add those.

As others have mentioned, the 931 is really not a good road tractor. Mine is slow when loaded. Yes, it will do 58 or so hauling a trailer on flat ground, but on hills, I am down to about 42mph hauling 28k# (lowboy and V100). On steep hills, it gets slower still. Even with flashing yellow beacons, you do NOT want to be on a major highway at 42mph with other vehicles coming up behind you at 75mph!
I only haul locally to shows, and I know which roads I can take and which to avoid. You may not have that luxury.
Of note - both my 931s are A2s with the 14.00 tires. Someone with a 931 with 11.00s will need to chime in on their experience, as I have none with those.

The 915, on the other hand, is a good road tractor, but is basically a no-frills civilian truck with all that entails off road.

Cheers

Don Vito

This is all great advice, thank you all so much! From the sound of it, it'd be in my best interests to spend a little more and buy an M915 and throw on the 395 tires to get the off-road capabilities i'm looking for. Fuel economy is reasonably important, so I wont go with an M916, and if I ever get stuck, ill just call a backhoe or a dozer for recovery which is what I am currently doing anyway. Once I buy and customize my 915, Ill post some pics for you guys. Should be by or before August, fingers crossed. Thanks again for all this advice, you guys helped me out way more than I even came in asking for!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check in with member "tornadogt" and San Antonio Truck & Equip, two possible sources for 915s not far from you.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will need a wheel like this, hub centered, for the 20" 395's.

Edit....I may be wrong about the hub pilot. I see the 915 has 5 ton combat wheels of singles on some pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Don Vito

I think you will need a wheel like this, hub centered, for the 20" 395's.

Edit....I may be wrong about the hub pilot. I see the 915 has 5 ton combat wheels of singles on some pictures.
I have seen it with the singles on it as well. Came across this video of a M916 being used as a logging truck but turned the rear axles into duals fitting two of the 395's. Anybody ever done this/ know how to do it? Looks amazing, & if I can figure out how to do it to a 915 I probably will. Thoughts? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0u9o8oIfks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks