• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 Buyers guide request

Nuclearwhiskey

So I am totally green when it comes to diesel trucks and even more so with military trucks. I am trying to educate myself and asking folks who actually have these vehicles seems like a good place to start. Now I have been looking around Govplanet, browsing prices and looking for common visible problems with the trucks. I noticed a bunch of them have things like oil and transmission leaks and did not know if that was common, or something indicating that the thing was driven hot and put away wet way too many times. Or maybe certain years were better made than others, etc.
So if someone has good input I would appreciate it, or even if someone could point me in the direction of some good literature. What I do know is this. I have a cousin who is a very talented heavy diesel mechanic and he is about to get a lot of invites to dinner at my place.:beer:

pontiac62

So I am totally green when it comes to diesel trucks and even more so with military trucks. I am trying to educate myself and asking folks who actually have these vehicles seems like a good place to start. Now I have been looking around Govplanet, browsing prices and looking for common visible problems with the trucks. I noticed a bunch of them have things like oil and transmission leaks and did not know if that was common, or something indicating that the thing was driven hot and put away wet way too many times. Or maybe certain years were better made than others, etc.
So if someone has good input I would appreciate it, or even if someone could point me in the direction of some good literature. What I do know is this. I have a cousin who is a very talented heavy diesel mechanic and he is about to get a lot of invites to dinner at my place.:beer:
The information you seek would be in the Present Conflict Vehicles section. Granted M1083 is a 5 ton truck. It’s in the FMTV group of trucks. That’s the way the forum is divided.

1. Your right about an to remember is that these trucks are driven hard an put away wet.
2. They have been siting around for who knows how long before being surplused.
3. Don’t always assume these trucks are low mileage some are an some are not. The condition of the truck will give you an idea on that. Truck in like new still have that new truck smell will bring top dollar if not you got lucky.
4. Would be somewhat surprised if a truck didn’t leak. Definitely pay attention to the auction photos they don’t show everything but can be a good indicator.

While this may not be a guide per say. Tons of write ups from people have done working on these trucks. Will point you in the direction to look. There is definitely a lot of information in this forum with a lot of knowledgeable people. One would have to sit down to write a book ie( guide).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks