• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rattle from front of engine. Alternator?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Two cent test for free. Stop the noise. Pull the belts off and give alternator a spin by hand. Look listen and feel for clunky, rough, grinding, sloppy bearing, shaft movement, goofy end play. Another thing to look for is broken / cracked mounting ears on alternator lower front and rear. Didn't see the usual belt flop / slop from the pictures. If this doesn't point to alternator (your first guess, i'am with you) with belts still off AND in hand... start and run for the next update / video.

Nothing on TV tonight anyway,

CAMO

papakb

Another indicator that the noise is coming from the alternator is the vibration of the cover over the electrical connectors. And Cam, Marraige Bootcamp is on tonight. Did you forget? LOL fat lady sings

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I have 17 more steps to go and she just reminded me to get off SS and GOOoo, papakb. Are the "Got the Green Disease" pills working? Not so sure they helped me after all the years.

And the street value, priceless.

Best therapy is keep turning wrenches with 86humv,

CAMO

cwajciec

Update on the noise. It is coming from the 60Amp Alternator. I took it off and the front nut that holds the pulley on was loose. This allowed the cooling fan blades to contact the housing and cause a noise. I tightened it up but I'm not convinced the noise is totally gone. I still feel like under load the rear needle bearing has a noise.
I was looking for bearing rebuild kits and I found 90-2531 and 90-2532 in the Parts TM. But I can't find the TM that goes into the steps for tearing down and rebuilding the Alternator. Can someone help link this for me? I think I'll take it apart and replace the bearings and maybe the brushes if needed. Thanks for the assistance so far!

Hoefler

I had a rattle coming from mine. I found the lower bolt that holds it to engine (view from beneath the truck), had been broke off. I installed a new one-rattle gone.
Pete

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update on the noise. It is coming from the 60Amp Alternator. I took it off and the front nut that holds the pulley on was loose. This allowed the cooling fan blades to contact the housing and cause a noise. I tightened it up but I'm not convinced the noise is totally gone. I still feel like under load the rear needle bearing has a noise.
I was looking for bearing rebuild kits and I found 90-2531 and 90-2532 in the Parts TM. But I can't find the TM that goes into the steps for tearing down and rebuilding the Alternator. Can someone help link this for me? I think I'll take it apart and replace the bearings and maybe the brushes if needed. Thanks for the assistance so far!
If you can't find it, I wouldn't be too worried to go ahead and pull it off (which is in the TM) and pull the ends off, it is straightforward. Clean it out w electronic/electrical cleaner while you have the ends off. Lectramotive is good, though pricey. The carbon brushes (the 60amp unit is actually a DC generator but all refer to it as an alternator) really dirty things up. Check the state of your brushes. They are inexpensive and not terribly hard to replace while you have it off. I bought brushes when I replaced my dead regulator (which makes up the rear endplate of the case) but mine had plenty of meat left .

Bulldogger

papakb

Bulldogger, The HMMWVs only used alternators. All generating devices have brushes the difference is the brushes ride on slip rings that energize the field winding in an alternator and the brushes in a generator ride on the commutator that's the output . Your correct about cleaning out the regulator cavity in the back of the alternator. All that carbon buildup can cause leakage currents that can kill your batteries. All of these bits and pieces can be purchased from Southern Automotive at pretty reasonable prices. Common items like replacement brushes are available at most good motor/generator repair sho[s for under $10.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
In the HUMMWV... Only the 60 amp uses brushes. The others 100A, and dual 24/14 voltage units are brush-less. Not all rotating devices use brushes. Lots of newer designs are brush-less, motors, generators and alternators along with those darn scooters all over town.

I don't use a brush or a comb, Lost it years ago?

CAMO

Last edited:

cwajciec

Ok I’m back at it and the noise was still there. This time I pulled the ends off the alternator and here is what I found. Looks like the front bearing was greased with asphalt and the bearing wasn’t spinning. Slowly the rotor shaft was being machined away which increased the slop in the shaft. I tried to also take a video.

What are are my options? Oh and I also broke the brush holder on the backside in the process. Good place for parts or junk it and replace? The alt worked and the back end looks brand new.

Thanks for for the help guys.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0IUv4D6ubYWjxp8SdCoHZcSkg#Home

5E93A62E-11C0-4C3E-9EC5-C3108E9A0798.jpg7A361EF3-41A0-4498-B966-6590196A780C.jpgView attachment BA08924D-2D1B-43C1-8F8D-B46A942BD81A.MOV

Keith_J

Options? Machine the OD and bush to restore diameter. The bushing should be retained by anaerobic adhesive or thermally pressed on with a cold interference fit. A motor repair shop should be able to do this easily. A machinist will probably charge more, mostly for break in cost. Brush holders are a consumable part and should be in the supply system.

As far as brushless alternators, they are available. Two more windings plus rotating rectifiers (diodes) add to the complexity. Most military mobile power generation equipment is brushless even though they too are called "generators".

teteacher101

Ok I’m back at it and the noise was still there. This time I pulled the ends off the alternator and here is what I found. Looks like the front bearing was greased with asphalt and the bearing wasn’t spinning. Slowly the rotor shaft was being machined away which increased the slop in the shaft. I tried to also take a video.

What are are my options? Oh and I also broke the brush holder on the backside in the process. Good place for parts or junk it and replace? The alt worked and the back end looks brand new.

Thanks for for the help guys.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0IUv4D6ubYWjxp8SdCoHZcSkg#Home

View attachment 756371View attachment 756370View attachment 756372
If you have a local rebuild shop I would get a quote to see how much it will cost for them to rebuild it but if I had to guess it will end up being probably half the cost of one that is ready to bolt in in-depending on what they do about the shaft. If it was me I would consider something like this.

I personally bought a 200amp alternator and install kit a while back, but since my 60amp still works-I'm gonna keep running it for now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks