Thread: Grinding sound when braking after installing new Half Shafts and removing shims

Thanks

Default Grinding sound when braking after installing new Half Shafts and removing shims

Hey guys,

I took the hmmwv to my buddy's shop today. I replaced both rear half shafts and removed the shims in the rear. There were 2 shims on the passenger side rear and 4 shims on the drivers side rear. I removed all of them as most of the people in post I have read of doing it take them all out. After taking the truck out for a drive I now hear a grinding sound when I apply the break. It sounds something grinding as it rotates not steady like if brake pads were gone. I did not have this issue before replacing half shafts and removing shims. My buddy got under and checked it and said it didn't appear anything was scraping the disc and all the bolts look tight. I hear zero noise when accelerating. Has anyone removed shims or replaced half shafts and had this issue? Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Where did you get the shafts? The grinding is common with the Chinese knock off shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I got them off ebay. It says manufacturer is MFPC with manufacturer part number 2520-01-383-2387. Says they are made in USA.

Thanks

I am guessing they are not. Just do a little searching on eBay shafts. You will quickly find your answer.

Kascar, hummer parts guy and adventure accessories would be a much better bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I assume you are talking about the shims behind the top Arms trying to square the rear tires to the ground. Try reinstalling the shims. Removing them may have taken up any slack. This would make the shafts a little too long and make the joints bind. When you lift the truck to check rotation, the suspension will be farther down. This would make the geared hubs farther away from the diff. So it will spin freely.
    Kenny
    1966 M35A2C
    1986 M105
    1952 M37
    1966 M101
    1986 M1028A1
    1988 M101
    1993 M998
    MEP003
    MEP002

4 Star General Retiredwarhorses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 662 Posts

This has come up numerous times on Chinese rear halfshafts.
    Retired War Horses Restoration

"Where HMMWV's is All We Do"

A Veteran owned business

www.RetiredWarHorses.com

So many HMMWVs I lost count years ago....

Thanks

I'm sure that is the issue. The two I replaced on the front are probably the same as I bought them off ebay but I haven't had issues from them when replaced. Again the listing states they are 10K U.S. made half shafts but I don't have way to verify that is the truth. The only time that I hear the grinding noise is when I brake. They are smooth when driving. Is that common with the rear half shafts?