Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Battery replacement ,lithium iron phosphate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_J View Post
    The advantages of the LiFePO4 chemistry don't make for any advantage in automotive starting systems, even with glow plug diesels. We never use more than 20% of the charge even in arctic conditions. Which is why the selling point of cold cranking amps is far more common than the amp-hour capacity.

Now if you are deep discharging to 80% or more, then the Li family makes sense. PbSO4 just doesn't like deep discharge, even valve regulated recombinant absorbed glass mat.

LiFePO4 isn't the same fire hazard as lithium polymer (typical cell phone), lithium ion (power tool and computer) or lithium metal (primary or one time use) types. Only lithium metal have the class D issue (metal fire).

Save your coins, spend them on the ponies at the track. You will have a better payout.

They also have superior charge intervals over lead.
    But as you stated. In an automobile charging system application has no benefit.
    Everything above is my two cents worth. If it offends you, well, deep breath.
    Back from the Bolshevik Exile.
    U.S.A Ret.

Corporal
    Thanks

Most batteries in the lithium ion family don't like to be overly discharged. If you drain a cell below a certain voltage it usually becomes damaged, so you need a protection circuit to try and prevent that.

Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by warcow105 View Post
    Most batteries in the lithium ion family don't like to be overly discharged. If you drain a cell below a certain voltage it usually becomes damaged, so you need a protection circuit to try and prevent that.

Mike
    Absolutely this. I've have multiple old electronic devices I've pulled from storage that have swollen or ruptured battery cells. Over-discharging is a big hazard, as well as poor charging regulation. Temperature swings only serve to make this worse.
    1994 M998A1, 2-dr, 6.5L GEP NA

Checkout my build thread! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ild-in-Indiana

Private
    Thanks

Nowadays, this type of battery has a smaller battery inside them for emergency starts. Over discharging is prevented by a circuit board that shuts down on those situations. Looks pretty safe.
    But, cost speaks very loudly.
    1k+ for a pair.
    Going to keep simple... as the feedback is that direction.
    My shallow pocket also thank you all...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2