• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee summer question

beehumvee

I have a doubt regarding topless a humvee. I have never seen a humvee with the windshield folded, neither without top and all hardware that support it...

I have jeeps, and I love to drive them in summer totally topless... the higger part on a topless jeep is the steering wheel...

Is it possible in a m998?
Many thanks

DatGuyC

Possible, but its not going to be as easy as a jeep. Like bikeman said the windshield is really only folded down when air-dropped or space is needed, it doesn't seem designed to be frequently done or actually driven around like that. The biggest pain is going to be getting the soft top on and off. The whole front section slides into a channel and you will either have to slide it out or remove the channel which you can only really do with the rest of the top removed from the back. On my truck the top fits pretty snugly and those fasteners can be a real pain to try and get back in the mounting holes in the top. When I had a TJ wrangler it took no time to drop the soft top, the hmmwv is not even close to as easy as that was.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Another sticky point is getting bugs stuck on your teeth along with a tickey from Barney Fife. Could be a problem in some states ???? reason for off road use only. LOL

Smile for the booking photos,

CAMO

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a doubt regarding topless a humvee. I have never seen a humvee with the windshield folded, neither without top and all hardware that support it...

I have jeeps, and I love to drive them in summer totally topless... the higger part on a topless jeep is the steering wheel...

Is it possible in a m998?
Many thanks
It is exceedingly irresponsible to drive a vehicle with the windscreen down unless you are rock climbing! Even then you need a roll cage!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I go topless periodically during summer onths, but have never tried folding down the windshield. My soft top does not have a channel in the front, just a metal strip along the front that is held to the A pillar by about 10 self-tapping screws. As noted, it is hard sometimes to get them to go happily back into the holes, meaning you have to be careful or you'll cross-thread one and ruin the threads. It's not very thick and I'd hate to have to rig a thread replacement. I do enjoy taking off the top and using half doors on hot days though.

BDGR

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is exceedingly irresponsible to drive a vehicle with the windscreen down unless you are rock climbing! Even then you need a roll cage!
Please explain. I do this all the time and never imagined it to be irresponsible. If your logic involves the windshield being some kind of ROPS, then that is false security especially in the deuce and 5 tons.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please explain. I do this all the time and never imagined it to be irresponsible. If your logic involves the windshield being some kind of ROPS, then that is false security especially in the deuce and 5 tons.
It has to due with windscreen preventing eye damage with secondary loss of control of the vehicle at speed.

Rollover has nothing to do with my statement as a windscreen will never protect you.

If you drive without a windscreen you really need goggles. Just the wind against your eyes at speed will make you wince and blink and can be damaging. Now add some bugs and dust and rocks kicked up by a vehicle in front of you and it is downright dangerous and in most places in USA illegal. Not sure about our friend's laws in Spain/Espana.

Imagine skiing downhill on a double diamond without goggles. Similar concept.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has to due with windscreen preventing eye damage with secondary loss of control of the vehicle at speed.

Rollover has nothing to do with my statement as a windscreen will never protect you.

If you drive without a windscreen you really need goggles. Just the wind against your eyes at speed will make you wince and blink and can be damaging. Now add some bugs and dust and rocks kicked up by a vehicle in front of you and it is downright dangerous and in most places in USA illegal. Not sure about our friend's laws in Spain/Espana.

That I completely agree with. Vehicles throw up all kinds of grit.

And motorcycles, again. Jsyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beehumvee

I love driving the mutt With the windshield folded. With google and ear protection of course. And hope to be able to do the same with my future m998!

DREDnot

recoiless.jpg

One main reason for the folding windshield was to be able to deploy the M40 Recoilless Rifle.
The B pillar is also removable and stows behind the seat.

The US decided to go with the TOW system for our anti-tank HMMWV but some of our step-children may only be trusted with older stuff.

As far as "safety/responsibility" its safer than a motorcycle and eye protection is just as obviously prudent as soon as you hit 15 mph.

My policy is, If the windshield can be folded down, I will do so...every chance I get.

I will be folding mine down today as a matter of fact

ari

most laws state the vehicle must have windshield wipers to be legal. you can have no windshield but have windshield wipers and be good to go.

nattieleather

The only problem I see with the folded windshield on the HMMWV is that your review mirrors are now looking at the sky instead of behind you. 1/4 tons (jeeps) had the mirror mounted to the cowl and therefore you could fold the windshield down and still have review mirror. So to be "legal" you may have to mount a different mirror or reconfigure the mirrors to work. The truck was design from the beginning to be able to go "tactical" and fold the windshield down. Remember the truck was design to fill the 1/4 ton roll and 3/4-5/4 ton rolls and there for had to be able to be tactical in the build requirements. I saw one M998 in the early 90s on a post that had the windshield folded down and that one was for the CG to use to review the troops. So there that.... LOL!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks