• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question: Could I convert a 6bt marine cummins to a normal 6bt for a deuce?

Mandalore

Been watching Garret do his 6bt engine swap on his truck and It got me to thinking I might want to do the same thing when my multifuel eventually dies. With that being said, I see some 6bt marine engines on auctions sites and I was wondering how difficult it would be to try to convert it back to a normal 6bt. What would be involved and would it be worth it? I know some of you will say something along the lines of " Why would you want to do that? Just put a new multifuel in" etc. Its just what I have been thinking about.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I can't say anything specifically but if you do buy one, make sure it's not reverse rotation. I've seen marine engine pairs where one rotates backwards.

willys47

I put an industrial 5.9 in my pickup to get it to work in an automotive application my pump guy had to get some parts shipped from bosh to make it work properly i also changed the governer spring and fuel pin and remember about the killer pin

162tcat

If someone buys a marine 5.9 I'll gladly trade it for a low mile 12 valve that's still in the truck. You can hear it run. Would come complete from top to bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepsinker

Not much difference. Just bolt on ancillary components that are simple to swap. They also have a high nickel block ( stronger alloy), and an extra turbo drain boss which is nice if you decide to run compound turbos. The pistons and injectors are different so you will need to keep that in mind if you plan to do future upgrades. A marine engine should be 300 horse stock. No reason you would need more than that, but you might want more someday. Bigger injectors mean more heat, so be sure to have a good radiator.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heads are different too, swirl factor is different. You'd need the pump gone thru and set it to an automotive style governor. Oil pans are a flat aluminum type, that would need changing to clear the front axle along with the oil pick up. So basically you would need a head, pistons, exhaust manifold, turbo with all the plumbing, oil pan, probably an alternator mount and stat outlet, air compressor and plumbing if the marine engine didn't have one and a fan hub because the marine engines usually had a fan hub that was a very low mount that would not work for a fan center/radiator in a truck. There are other things to think about too, like what speed do you want to turn the fan at, 1:1, 1.2:1, .87:1? Dipstick, you changed the pan so now you need the right dipstick for the pan sump and capacity.

Just a few bolt on parts.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

I wasn't aware the heads were different. I thought I was just piston and injectors that changed the swirl. I say this because some guys install marine pistons and injectors in on road engines for performance and the spray lands in the right place in the bowl. The pump governor is easy enough to change the flyweight assembly yourself if you aren't scared of it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swirl factor is cast into the head. On 2 valve heads it is marked on the head, cast into it, located on the intake side, front top, where an A/C mount would bolt, S1, S2 and S3. I forget about 4 valve heads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks