• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to remove brake drums? No adjuster slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pawnbroker

Hello all,

I recently noticed that my drivers side rear brake seemed to be dragging. I used an infrared thermometer after driving it and that wheel was hotter than the other side. So yesterday I got it up on jack stands and removed both tires. I was able to pull the passenger side drum off by hand without any real trouble. The brakes shoes look good as does everything else. The shoes are worn enough that I'm going to replace them while I have it all apart. Then I tried to remove the drivers side drum. It won't pull off. When I rotate it, it's dragging on one section and more free otherwise. So it must be out of round. Here's my problem. I've worked on drum brakes for a very long time and have done many, many brake jobs on them. But on this truck how in the world do you back off the adjuster to loosen the brake shoes? There's no slot in the backing plate's. And there's no slot in the drums either. So as far as I can tell, there's no way to back off the adjuster.
Thanks very much for any advice.

Dave.

cucvrus

Is this an M1009 or M1008. I would loosen the mid ship E brake cable adjustment nut and go from there. I am assuming it is an M1009 because the M1008/M1028 have slots to adjust the brakes. Good Luck report back please.

nyoffroad

Yep, bottom of the backing plate there should be 2 knock out plates. Sometime they pop right out others not so much. If your like me sooner or later you'll run into an ajuster thats frozen up or shoes that are rusted to the drum, simple easy way to get them off. Just use a muffler cut off tool or grinder and grind the heads off the brake shoe retaining nails, then you can get the drum out far enough to unhook the E brake and springs.

The Pawnbroker

Well I took another good look today and had a friend of mine who's a good mechanic look and there just isn't any knock-out plug of any kind. The backing plates are in pretty good shape so it's not like it's hidden by rust or anything. Just not there on this truck. The other day I was able to get the drum to move a little bit. So I sprayed the area right where the drum slides over the center of the axle and left it for two days. Today, after a few hammer blows and a bit of prying, it slid off. The shoes are right at the point of needing replacing. So far the only thing I can suspect being the reason for the drum/wheel on that side running hot is the out of round drum.
Thanks for all the help.

MarcusOReallyus

... then you can get the drum out far enough to unhook the E brake and springs.
There is no "E brake" on any modern vehicle. A few did back in the horseless carriage days. Modern vehicles have parking brakes. They are not intended for emergency use. They are intended to be used when parking.

cucvrus

;)I beg to differ. I have used it when all else has failed. I had brakes blow out and used the parking / E brake to get stopped. It worked and it was an emergency stop. With that brake. Not sure on my new vehicles. They have push button ebrakes. I like them. But I guess they are parking brakes now. Not sure why I need a parking brake when the vehicle is in park.;) Have a Great Day. Out to be tormented by the heater core.

cucvrus

Procrastinating on the heater core. With such nice cold dry weather I decided to bring firewood in. My Wife reminded me of the incident that the brakes went out. We were on I 77 coming into Charlotte NC. I went for the brakes on an M1008 while towing another M1008 and when I hit the brakes the rod going to the brake booster was swinging from the pedal. I had just bought the truck that day (DRMO)and it was missing a few part parts here and there. I did get it running and all hooked up. I was along the road for a couple hours switching the batteries to the other truck to do the towing. That was one of them my, my, my days. Very close call at 55mph. Have a Great Day. That constitutes and emergency brake. Throwing it in park had no reaction. Lesson learned that day was look up under the dash board. that had a bolt with a loose nut holding the pin to the pedal and no tab for brake lights or safety fall out.

MarcusOReallyus

That doesn't make it an emergency brake. It was not designed for emergency use. I have used a wrench as a hammer in an emergency. It got the job done. It was still a wrench.

Using the wrong term encourages people to forget (or to never learn!) the correct use, which is for PARKING.

cucvrus

Do tell how I would have stopped without it? Parking brake/Emergency brake. Both the same and people get the meaning. I did not misuse the Parking Brake/ Emergency Brake. I used it in an emergency situation and it stopped me. Throwing it in park would have been a massive fail. I don't want to get in a debate over such a thing. And while I was outside I did look at an M1009 backing plate. No cut outs. I don't think they even though about making them. Never seize the axle hub face and put the drum back on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_brake

[h=1]Emergency brake[/h]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search Emergency brake can refer to:

• Parking brake or hand brake in automobiles, which can also be used in case of failure of the main braking system
  • Emergency brake (train), a term which can refer to a stronger-than-normal braking level, a separate backup braking system, or the lever used to engage the backup braking system
  • Train protection system, which engages an emergency brake in dangerous situations
  • Emergency brake assist, which increases braking effectiveness when a human driver executes a panic stop
  • Autonomous emergency braking in a collision avoidance system, which engages the main braking system in automobiles when a computer detects an imminent collision.
  • Autobrake, a system for automating braking during takeoff and landing of airplanes

Have a Great Day. I now have climate control back in my M1028. I can either freeze or stay warm/hot at the flick of a switch. Climate control.
[h=2]Vehicle climate control[/h]

Image: dreamstime.com

Climate control in a car is the system that keeps the temperature inside the car even and comfortable. This includes the car's heating and cooling systems as well as their controls

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks