Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to remove brake drums? No adjuster slot?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,921 Posts

Procrastinating on the heater core. With such nice cold dry weather I decided to bring firewood in. My Wife reminded me of the incident that the brakes went out. We were on I 77 coming into Charlotte NC. I went for the brakes on an M1008 while towing another M1008 and when I hit the brakes the rod going to the brake booster was swinging from the pedal. I had just bought the truck that day (DRMO)and it was missing a few part parts here and there. I did get it running and all hooked up. I was along the road for a couple hours switching the batteries to the other truck to do the towing. That was one of them my, my, my days. Very close call at 55mph. Have a Great Day. That constitutes and emergency brake. Throwing it in park had no reaction. Lesson learned that day was look up under the dash board. that had a bolt with a loose nut holding the pin to the pedal and no tab for brake lights or safety fall out.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

firefox (01-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 953 Posts

That doesn't make it an emergency brake. It was not designed for emergency use. I have used a wrench as a hammer in an emergency. It got the job done. It was still a wrench.

Using the wrong term encourages people to forget (or to never learn!) the correct use, which is for PARKING.
    ---------------------

Non standard parts in CUCV?
    You offend against the pure OEM design!
    Evaluate self! Reflect and repent!

Or... maybe not.

M1028, M101A2

Thanks
    Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,921 Posts

Do tell how I would have stopped without it? Parking brake/Emergency brake. Both the same and people get the meaning. I did not misuse the Parking Brake/ Emergency Brake. I used it in an emergency situation and it stopped me. Throwing it in park would have been a massive fail. I don't want to get in a debate over such a thing. And while I was outside I did look at an M1009 backing plate. No cut outs. I don't think they even though about making them. Never seize the axle hub face and put the drum back on.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_brake

Emergency brake

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search Emergency brake can refer to:

• Parking brake or hand brake in automobiles, which can also be used in case of failure of the main braking system
    • Emergency brake (train), a term which can refer to a stronger-than-normal braking level, a separate backup braking system, or the lever used to engage the backup braking system
    • Train protection system, which engages an emergency brake in dangerous situations
    • Emergency brake assist, which increases braking effectiveness when a human driver executes a panic stop
    • Autonomous emergency braking in a collision avoidance system, which engages the main braking system in automobiles when a computer detects an imminent collision.
    • Autobrake, a system for automating braking during takeoff and landing of airplanes

Have a Great Day. I now have climate control back in my M1028. I can either freeze or stay warm/hot at the flick of a switch. Climate control.
    Vehicle climate control

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.c06rX...qlt=80&pid=3.1
    Image: dreamstime.com

Climate control in a car is the system that keeps the temperature inside the car even and comfortable. This includes the car's heating and cooling systems as well as their controls

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine: Founding Father Quote.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cucvrus For This Useful Post:

firefox (01-13-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2