• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy, 1 each

BuckT

Morning folks.

New guy here from Northwest Montana currently working in the North Dakota oil patch. I have hopped on here several times in the last few years conducting research and figured i would register so i can actually see the pics on forum posts lol.

Anyway,
Im a former Jarhead and have experience driving Humvees, IFAVS, and CUCV's (overseas as a security contractor), and experience riding in 5 tons with next to no experience wrenching on said vehicles. Im currently interested in acquiring both a CUCV and either a bobbed deuce or 5 ton hopefully this year and am soaking up as much info as i can on the forum.

Thanks for having me and ill try to refrain from the typical newbie questions.

S/F,
Buck

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and go with the 5 ton you won't be sorry. I like 809 series so a M818 leave it tandem cut down Deuce or 5 ton bed and 53's for tires. Guys will drooling girls will flock.

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another Welcome from Kentucky!

I don't own any military vehicles (yet?) but do have a couple of MEP803a generators and have found this site to be an invaluable source of information and assistance with them. Lots of great people on all the forums and I'm sure you will find this place to your liking.

71DeuceAK

Welcome to the site, Get a 5 ton, and leave it as is. Drive it, use it, Enjoy it first before modifying it and get used to it.
Agreed. They are fun trucks, even bone stock. I admit I have been considering getting another to drive daily at first, but eventually part out for the axles to put under something else. With that said, in bone stock form the M939 series 5 ton truck is what I would consider one of the best vehicles ever built and probably one of the most user-friendly MVs for the newly minted enthusiast just getting into them.

NormB

Welcome to the madness. As you can see from some of the posts, FMVs are a lot like Lays potato chips.

Dare you to get just one.

m715mike

Howdy from just north of Houston. Welcome to the site and thank you for your service!

Now quit wasting time. Get your truck(s) and post pictures. We like pictures.

Ajax MD

I was originally shopping for a deuce but wasn't liking the prices and conditions I was finding, plus dealing with delivery prices but I found a 809 series 5 ton nearby that was in decent shape. I was a little skeptical at first, but I'm a total convert now. The deuce is a great truck, legendary in fact, but I do enjoy my fully hydraulic power steering. It drives as easy as an F-150 or Silverado. LOL...I might change my tune the first time something big, heavy and expensive breaks but we'll see.

My point is, don't fear the 5-ton. You won't go wrong with either type of truck.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from the other end of the state Buck, when it gets nice, OK at least above ZERO if you have the desire to check out some of these trucks I have them all and your welcome to come this way and you can drive them and look them over it might help you make up your mind how you want to proceed, the offer is out there Buck! Try to stay warm

Karl
ND

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks