• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help ID M37 LWB

Scottyairborne

I just purchased the M37, good driver condition. Owner thought it was a 1958 M56, but he isn’t an expert. Had this configuration when he and his father pulled it from a hog farm 15 years ago. They fixed it up and enjoyed it, now I am looking to bring back to life as a parade and fun cruiser.

Scottyairborne

So it is definitely an M37 with the long wheel base and heavy winch, so does that make it a M56 variant of some sort? Also has original spotlight. Does not have the door mounted spare, rather mounted in front of a normal size M37 bed?

Scottyairborne

My plan was to mount some 11.00R16 Michelins on the stock rims, assuming of course I can locate some. A fresh coat of paint (sorry, but 18 years in USAF means the Navy must go). New fluids, etc. and drive...

Winch functions properly and starts easy, so just need to give general service.

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The m56 is the long wheelbase chassis. If it is a 1958 it would be an m56b1. There are pieces of the door carrier still on it. Your truck very likely had a utility body on it when it was made.

Scottyairborne

Yes, I am also intrigued on what the original bed configuration would have been. I wasn't sure if any came with the smaller bed and gap, which is actually quite convenient as a platform. Perhaps I can find the door carrier pieces and locate the tire back on the door.

Scottyairborne

Previous owner is convinced the platform was a gunner platform and the bed is original. He was a lot more knowledgeable than I initially gave credit, and the truck is nicer than I could have dreamed.

Black Ops

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or a Contact Maintenance Truck.
The CMU-3 and CMU-5 are the contact maintenance trucks. The m201b1 and V41 are the telephone maintenance trucks.

Previous owner is convinced the platform was a gunner platform and the bed is original. He was a lot more knowledgeable than I initially gave credit, and the truck is nicer than I could have dreamed.
It is not that uncommon to see a telephone truck or contact truck with the bed replaced with something else. I have a crash truck on the same long wheelbase frame and a regular m37 bed would bolt up on the back of the frame with no modification at all. Does it have any dataplates on the glovebox or doors?

Scottyairborne

I suspect it does, all the placards are in place etc. Just haven’t had it home long enough to look for the plates. I got it for a price that it didn’t matter, now just interested in what configuration it may have been.

xm708

With that frame reinforcement it could also have been an ambulance and now has m37 cab and bed on it. M37's did not come like that from the factory with the space between the bed and cab..

Scottyairborne

My non-expert assessment which concurs with the plates: It is a 1958 M56B1 cab and chassis with winch, that was then configured for Ordinance. Can anyone help me with the "Model T-245A" is that reference to the engine?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks