• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bigcam 3 400 extra long cold start 40f

akita91

Whats the common problems with hard start ? i have 2 batteries, both charged,it takes at least 2 cranks each about 15-20 sec before it fires up.missing ,dies if i keep foot of throttle ,gotta hold for about another 15-30 sec wot , rpms slowly crawls to 2100.
Ive read some threads here and other places,it could be pump,cylinder comperssion or else ?if its above 50 ,starts right up

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Have you ruled out the possibility of fuel drain back? Losing prime can make a mess out of a perfectly good engine on initial start up

162tcat

Have you ruled out the possibility of fuel drain back? Losing prime can make a mess out of a perfectly good engine on initial start up
I think he nailed it. Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere between the pt pump and tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Have you replaced the fuel filter recently? The check valve may be allowing backflow or a bad gasket. Check that before replacing the line. It is a 1/2in fuel hydraulic line. Ditch that and go with 5/8 or 3/4" push lok line and fittings. So you get more fuel flow for added power.

sandcobra164

Sounds about like the NHC-250 in my 5 ton in the cold if I don't use the ether start. It can be parked for a month and fire off in 2 seconds if the temps are warm. Do you have white smoke while you are cranking when cold? If so it sounds like you're truck is doing just fine.

162tcat

Before you start spending money on expensive parts start with the cheap basic items. Fuel filter was recently changed so it may not have seated properly. Fuel line replacement is a maintenance item, I would just do it to rule that out and for piece of mind. If that doesn't fix it, start diagnosing other stuff. Have you thought about a block heater? If it's just cold blooded that will help tremendously.

162tcat

Just to add a little more info, my m809 with the NHC 250 will crank for about 10 seconds when it's 30-40 degrees out with the smoke getting progressively thicker until it fires off. Once it kicks off it just purrs while it builds air.

If I plug in the block heater, it fires right off like it was just running 5 min ago no matter how cold out.

I always use the block heater these days if I know I will be running it and temps are expected to be under 40.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks