• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7" Jeep LED headlight install

M35a2Deuce

Hello everyone, I made a video of the install of 7" Jeep LED lights on my HMMWV. I know many other people using the same lights and they all have good things to say about them. They work great and have lasted me over a year of daily driving on one of my other HMMWV's. These are very cheap as well, I got my set on Ebay for $79.00. Hopefully my video was helpful to anyone wanting to install these lights.

https://youtu.be/zul5ZHPs8VA

008.jpg007.jpg004.jpg

Attachments

therooster2001

I agree, these are very bright. I hooked these up and was pretty happy with them until I messed with the halo and turn light feature. DO NOT hook the halo or turn signal wires up. I blew the capacitors in them in 2 seconds flat, leaving strange results, mostly not being able to use the high beams, and in one I blew the cap, the fluid was all over the bulb. I too had to cut the cooling fins off them. There is no getting around that.

These are marketed as "Cree", and halo, DRL or angel eyes. They are marked as DOT rated, but these are definitely Chinese, so who knows. There are some bad descriptions in EBay about voltage and there are some color ones out there. They shipped the wrong connectors when I bought them, so I had to chop up some packards off an old dead incandescent bulb. Prices are all over the board for the same thing, shop wisely.

They are bright, and do put off a fair amount of heat in the back by the fins when in use.

Thanks for posting your experience and install.

Last edited:

therooster2001

This is what they look like when you tear them open. It's amazing what acrylic optics and tiny LEDs can do.
IMG_0687.jpg

This is what a headlight looks like when the capacitor blows.
IMG_0697.jpg

The EBay ad.
IMG_1195.jpg

DO NOT hook up the DRL, halo eyes, just the high, low and ground...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Total design copy of the JW Speaker headlight except for the "halo". Sure hope you guys at least consider buying American made products such as Trucklite or JW Speaker.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I bought a set of these and I appreciate the video.

I am planning on going a step further. There are cheap 24-12 V inverters on "the auction site". Buying two and buying 2 relays to activate the halo eyes while turn lights are flashing seems easy, and is similar in nature to building a trailer turn signal 24-12 volt harness [on another thread in this forum].

I also bought a spare set of buckets that I will cut to fit so mounting is faster (Winter here so I want to minimize time to install).

Thanks for this post!

therooster2001

Should have posted this a week ago, but..

Got these and swapped the ends for packard connectors.

One new, one old. These are high beams.
IMG_1068.jpg

These are on high.
IMG_1073.jpg

These are on low..
IMG_1069.jpg

I like em! No cutting. $60 a pair on the bay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks