• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery tray build -Clearance question

daveiaff

Moving batteries to right side air lift and I have 5.5 inches of clearance from wheel. What is the the suspension movement range? I have some more room to move up if I trim off the top of box before the front battery gets to close to the hood.
IMG_4441.jpgIMG_4442.jpg

warcow105

Best way would be to make a drawing with marks on a line from the a-arm pivot point to the shock mount, the center of the spring perch, and the center of the tire. Then measure each gap between the spring coils and add it up, and also measure the amount of shock shaft showing. Do a little math to determine how far up the tire would need to move to bottom the spring or shock out, the smaller of those 2 will be your answer.

Mike

papakb

I like the idea of relocating the batteries the way you did but why didn't you place the negative lead frontmost and the positive lead rearmost with a short jumper between the batteries? That way none of the cables overlap each other. Did you build up the tray or was it something you found and reutilized?

Lazboytt

I wired it up the way they were wired before. But the box I used a sheet of aluminum stock for the back plate and used 2 trays ordered from summit racing. I had the 2 trays welded together with a support plate welded underneath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dilvoy

This photo shows the AM General Battery bracket that they used on the Hummers as it is mounted on my Humvee. I had to add in some nut plates from within the Air Lift Bracket for attaching the Battery Bracket, but existing holes in it matched with holes in the Battery Bracket so I think positioning is proper.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I like the batteries where they placed them under the seat. Sure, it could have been better thought out... but it is what it is. Thinking out loud here??? Out over the wheel wouldn't they take a bit more of an jolting / jarring when smacking the front right side in and out of bumps on the trail? Now that can't be good for insides of batteries. I can see why the H1's stuck them out there, maybe more cabin storage or just a hazard to the civilian population?

Those M38A1 were a squirel-ly place for batteries and M37 more or less HMMWV today.

Keep up the good fab work and pictures.

Come to think of it... most batteries are out front anyway.

Back to my med's,

CAMO

AOR

If I were to relocate the batteries on a HMMWV I would put them on the left side of the vehicle if you have ever lifted one of these on a lift that picks them up by the Frame you would understand why
its literally nerve racking how much heavier they are on the passenger side with the fuel tank and batteries on the same side

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks