• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thunk thunk knock knock in left rear????

McSpeed

We have been enjoying the Humvee today as we had a fairly large snow storm for our area last night and today and it has been a blast to ride around and survey the white stuff.

But...while going less than 15 mile per hour I picked up a rhythmic clunk/thunk that can be felt in the floor. It doesn't do it in reverse as far as I can tell. I've visually inspected and don't see anything. I took a video I'll attempt to post so you can hear it.

CV boot is intact and I don't physically feel anything. All the bolts are in tight on the axle to brake hub.

Pillar axle failure???? What are the symptoms or what do I look for?

DREDnot

Since it is most prominent in forward gear, I thought first about u-joints in the driveshaft. And second, the carrier bearing in the driveshaft. I'd start there. work downstream toward the hub contraption.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, the u joints and carrier bearing are likely culprits .Not terribly hard to get out and replace. The U's are common Spicer, available from CarQuest or Napa. My local Advance Auto did not have them .The carrier bearing is likely to be found on eBay or true Hmmwv service site. I think I paid no more than $25 for it.

If you need the part #s I can look them up. One front U joint is different from the others.

Bulldogger

McSpeed

So...riddle me this? I got it off the wheels and rolled around under it moving and prying and feeling each joint. The only thing I found odd is the left rear cv half shaft making a clunking right at the inner joint. I pulled the axle down and looking inside. Grease was really dry. Could feel extra play off in the vice too.

My local Autozone has H1 axles for $97 each. I ordered one that will be here Tuesday (light duty models that match mine). The boots are pretty dry and cracked anyway.

So...while I'm waiting for parts I got my wive's silverado stuck in our side yard in a bad way (9" of snow the last two days). I put the Humvee back together with the old axle and rolled out to pull the Silverado out. Lots of slipping and sliding and force the axles to lock (brake modulating). Anyway...got her out...then took the truck for a run around the field - had to do it. Including some gratuitous donuts. :) I then took my son and his friend around the block. Guess what? NO NOISE AND NO THUMP! Dang it man!

What the heck!

So, I'm going to go with the fact that axle is screwed up and me taking it off and pulling it apart and goofing around in it (I used a hose clamp to temp put it back to go rescue the Silverado) might have moved the bad spot?

I'm also planning on there being a possible mismatch on the axle to hub seal. The originals on this truck have the metal shoulder/washer on the shaft...the updated one piece seals don't use that. We'll see how the axle comes either with or without the metal washer. And...if the Duralast brand axle is decent or not.

cwajciec

So...riddle me this? I got it off the wheels and rolled around under it moving and prying and feeling each joint. The only thing I found odd is the left rear cv half shaft making a clunking right at the inner joint. I pulled the axle down and looking inside. Grease was really dry. Could feel extra play off in the vice too.

My local Autozone has H1 axles for $97 each. I ordered one that will be here Tuesday (light duty models that match mine). The boots are pretty dry and cracked anyway.

So...while I'm waiting for parts I got my wive's silverado stuck in our side yard in a bad way (9" of snow the last two days). I put the Humvee back together with the old axle and rolled out to pull the Silverado out. Lots of slipping and sliding and force the axles to lock (brake modulating). Anyway...got her out...then took the truck for a run around the field - had to do it. Including some gratuitous donuts. :) I then took my son and his friend around the block. Guess what? NO NOISE AND NO THUMP! Dang it man!

What the heck!

So, I'm going to go with the fact that axle is screwed up and me taking it off and pulling it apart and goofing around in it (I used a hose clamp to temp put it back to go rescue the Silverado) might have moved the bad spot?

I'm also planning on there being a possible mismatch on the axle to hub seal. The originals on this truck have the metal shoulder/washer on the shaft...the updated one piece seals don't use that. We'll see how the axle comes either with or without the metal washer. And...if the Duralast brand axle is decent or not.
That settles it; I’m doing donuts whenever I am troubleshooting anyone’s stuff. The sound will come back I bet unless you start changing questionable driveline components.

I used 10k shafts from GSP North America which is who I think Autozone uses. Other than having to remove the upper ball joint to jam them in there I have been happy. (They were a fraction of an inch too long)

DREDnot

I agree that taking it out and monkeying with it could easily stop the noise for a while. You know that axle is bad so you are doing the right thing by replacing it now

McSpeed

That settles it; I’m doing donuts whenever I am troubleshooting anyone’s stuff. The sound will come back I bet unless you start changing questionable driveline components. I used 10k shafts from GSP North America which is who I think Autozone uses. Other than having to remove the upper ball joint to jam them in there I have been happy. (They were a fraction of an inch too long)

Yes..yes, and YES! Actually, who could resist this snow?

Humvee Snow1.jpg

McSpeed

I agree that taking it out and monkeying with it could easily stop the noise for a while. You know that axle is bad so you are doing the right thing by replacing it now
I am hoping you and I are both right! Funny thing is, my right rear axle has the worst looking boots - but no doubt there was/is play in the left one right now.

ari

What the heck!

Do you have the autozone part number for the axle?

McSpeed

Left rear 16060N. I picked it up last night. It has a reluctor wheel for an ABS sensor but I don’t see where that will cause any issues.

There are different part numbers for each axle where it fits the truck.

My only oher issue is it isnt painted. I need to clean the machine oil off and paint then install

here is the link. Not sure it will work. Hopefully not a violation to post

https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/cv-axle/hummer/h1

cwajciec

This looks really similar to the ones I bought direct from CARID, branded GSP North America. These had the reluctor wheel too but I just knocked it off with a hammer and screwdriver. Came right off as it's only pressed on. I also painted mine to avoid rust. Let me know if these are too long to put it without taking the upper ball joint off.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Left rear 16060N. I picked it up last night. It has a reluctor wheel for an ABS sensor but I don’t see where that will cause any issues.

There are different part numbers for each axle where it fits the truck.

My only oher issue is it isnt painted. I need to clean the machine oil off and paint then install

here is the link. Not sure it will work. Hopefully not a violation to post

https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/cv-axle/hummer/h1
Wow, that's a good price. Please keep us posted as to fitment and your impressions of quality. A picture or two as well, if able. I never would have looked at AZ!

BDGR

McSpeed

Just installed it. Fit in perfectly. Measured next to the old one and they were the same length at rest.

The outer is shaped a bit different but fits fine. I left the ABS reluctor wheel in place. You have to add about $10 to the price for some cleaner and quality epoxy paint. F51B5B7F-2502-463F-9A98-3014564A7A94.jpg

McSpeed

Also, I did notice the inner bolt flange plate is slightly thicker than the originall

there was no “made in XXXXX” anywhere on the part or box. So I don’t know if this is Chinese or what.

teteacher101

Just installed it. Fit in perfectly. Measured next to the old one and they were the same length at rest.

The outer is shaped a bit different but fits fine. I left the ABS reluctor wheel in place. You have to add about $10 to the price for some cleaner and quality epoxy paint. View attachment 753673

I had just ordered a rear shaft from a different vendor for $175 when I first saw this post. I just installed that one to notice my left side has a bad boot not to mention the original axle and a dry rotted looking boot on the other end-ok so I will get a new shaft for this side to I guess! So I called the local Autozone with the part#, he was pretty much clueless as it didn't show any in stock and said something about getting it directly from the vendor an he didn't think that they could get it-whatever. So yesterday I had time to drive there and show them the part in my cart online, the guy that "helped" me before was stocking shelves so a different guy tried-nope clueless-so he called over his coworker who was a female probably in her early 20's, she clicked all over, took my name and info-ok she goes I can have it here in a couple of days but you have to pay for it first. Wow, 30 seconds and problem solved! Sooo I should have it by Monday and she said I could return it for a full refund ($100) if it doesn't fit-awesome, I will see what happens next week.

McSpeed

Sounds right. I prepaid on Sunday and it was delivered on Tuesday to the store.

Just make sure your ordered it for the correct place on the truck (front/rear/left/right)

grab an a can of brake cleaner to get the oil off, some masking tape, epoxy chassis paint.

teteacher101

Sounds right. I prepaid on Sunday and it was delivered on Tuesday to the store.

Just make sure your ordered it for the correct place on the truck (front/rear/left/right)

grab an a can of brake cleaner to get the oil off, some masking tape, epoxy chassis paint.
Just got the shaft installed I also ordered from Autozone. Same story, has a reluctor wheel (I left it on for now as the shaft has a lifetime warranty-uhhh sure sounds good!), an just a fuzz longer so I popped the control arm up to get that little extra room. Everything seemed to fit an line up good. It will be a while before I drive it as I am doing other work to it also not to mention it's gonna be -10 in the morning here with it dipping to a balmy -20 next week and since my body puts out more BTU's then the factory heater-I will postpone road tests for now. :)

papakb

Would one of you who have purchased these shafts please put up a simple posting with the 3 part numbers for these shafts for the rest of us?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks