• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thunk thunk knock knock in left rear????

teteacher101

Would one of you who have purchased these shafts please put up a simple posting with the 3 part numbers for these shafts for the rest of us?

Thanks
My HMMWV: 1989 M998A0

Vendor: Autozone

Rear: 16060N (this is the only one I got)

Fronts: 16058N and 16059N

I am sorry I am not sure which side is which as it shows 3 shafts in their system/website but not location and the counter person couldn't tell either. I was told if it's wrong just bring it back an they would return it. So if it was me I'd buy both an return the other one or just replace them both since they are only $100 each an just be done with it.

papakb

Both rear shafts are the same length, right front is the longest, left front is the shortest. Autozone's website shows their weights as:

16058 = 20.58# Left front

16059 = 22.05# Rear shafts

16060 = 22.93# Right Front

These are for the 10K shafts, the 12K shafts are another story.

teteacher101

Both rear shafts are the same length, right front is the longest, left front is the shortest. Autozone's website shows their weights as:

16058 = 20.58# Left front

16059 = 22.05# Rear shafts

16060 = 22.93# Right Front

These are for the 10K shafts, the 12K shafts are another story.
When I run those part numbers on Autozones website I don't see where it shows it being Rear, RF, or LF. Did I miss that somewhere or is that from your experience with these? Also the shaft that fit mine for the rear is 16060N. Was that just a typo or a glitch on their site or?

McSpeed

My new one 100% fixed the problem. Quiet and smooth as can be.

I only wish it came pre-painted so it could have been installed immediately.

papakb

teteacher101, I was going by the weights listed for the shafts on the Autozone site. 22.9# would be the heaviest so it should be the longest shaft, the right front. The left front is the shortest so it makes sense that the lightest shaft at 20.5# would go there and the middleweight shaft at 22.05 would fit the rears where both are the same length. You might be able to compress the right front to fit in the rear but it won't have the same amount of travel as the wheel moves up and down so I'd be careful there.

teteacher101

teteacher101, I was going by the weights listed for the shafts on the Autozone site. 22.9# would be the heaviest so it should be the longest shaft, the right front. The left front is the shortest so it makes sense that the lightest shaft at 20.5# would go there and the middleweight shaft at 22.05 would fit the rears where both are the same length. You might be able to compress the right front to fit in the rear but it won't have the same amount of travel as the wheel moves up and down so I'd be careful there.
In theory that would make sense and a person would think that unless there is a mistake somewhere on their part with the weights listed/part number/etc.-not sure I guess? The right front shaft is a lot longer-about 2.5" longer when compared to the rear shaft so I don't think a person could even get it in there if you tried and if you did I don't think there would be enough play to compress it when trying to reattach the upper ball joint to the knuckle. The rear shaft was very close to going in without popping the ball joint up, it may in fact have made it with a little "buffing" on the rotor, and some harder prying actually.

Maybe if someone has a couple of bad shafts or a bunch of bad boots they could be the guinea pig an order all new shafts from Autozone an report back!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks