• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.--73M819--Ron Harris

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I brought over some food to Lucille this afternoon and visited with her some more. She is reading this thread and was overwhelmed by the response and the kind comments. She wanted me to pass along to everyone that she is overwhelmed by the support, kindness and prayers for Ron and the family. She tried 2 different times to post her thoughts on the site, but got an error and asked me to respond on her behalf.

Ron's wishes were to be cremated and Lucille will abide by his request. We are planning a Celebration for Ron's life sometime in the future on a Saturday, but at this time do not have a date. Everyone will be welcome and I will post more details as things become more clear.

For those that are interested in passing along your condolences her address is below:

Lucille Harris
3313 Shuler Rd
Gainesville, GA 30506

Ron's wealth was his big heart and willingness to help others. That is what he had in life and gave all he could. Lucille will need help with expenses during this tragic time.

Ron's passing has left a big void in my heart and his legacy will forever live in all his posts on this site. Ron had a very strong opinion on everything, but if you needed something he was the first one to lend a hand to the fullest of his capacity.

R.I.P Brother Ronald :73m819:

AMGeneral

Difficult to believe, I usually only got to see Ron at Georgia, once in a while we would cross paths while either of us was out on a recovery of another MV. We had our differing views on trucks, engines, etc.

I always enjoyed our discussions at the Ga rally, he most definetly had a vast supply of knowledge and would help at any time.

Ron and I both ran a crane for years, which tied into the love of MVs and wreckers and the next recovery job.

Good Journey Ron , Rest in Peace.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron may have wanted to have some of his ashes spread at the GA Rally. It won't be the same, but he will still be there.

RIP Ron.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Last night after I got the horrifying and sad news about Rod I was pretty upset.

The Boss Lady's niece is visiting us and has a four month old baby boy that I adore.

His mother asked me to hold him while she took a shower and we watched utube videos and I sang to him (I know, I know....sing so low) along with the videos.

As I held the little fellow I began to reflect on the cycle of life.

Here I was holding a child just beginning his life and one of my best buddies had just lost his.

Folks that know me personally know I have a rotten temper that can be set off by the dumbest things.

This is usually followed by a long rant and some colorful language.

A few years ago Ron and I went on a recovery mission to Jacksonville, Fl to reassemble and ship out some Marine Corps MK-48's that several SS members had bought at auction.

The site was a very secure base and getting on and off was a PITA and we had a short window to work in every day. And we had to contend with the Florida monsoon season, the heat and the bugs.

Something set me off and I had one of my "episodes". Ron took it all in stride and told me if I didn't get a handle on it I would prob stroke out one day.

I do a little better now days but I still have the occasional fit.

Last night I decided that to honor Ron I'm going to stop these immature and irritating (to other people in earshot) episodes and try to be a better person.

If something happens to set me off I'm going to stop right then and there and say to myself...."what would Ron do?"

Maybe by making a commitment to an old and dear departed friend I can be a better person in his honor.

RIP Ron.....you were a Brother in Arms, a friend and a mentor.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He will be missed, before every SS meet he would ask if his "hooch" was still standing. He would go out of his way to compliment me on the axles i build. This is hard to take.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I had a phone call and a few texts about this earlier today, but I've been working at a transmitter site and driving a "wheel chock" today. Ron was one of a kind. He was a wealth of MV knowledge and a asset to the community who helped either with this knowledge. Or by physically helping others in the hobby. We've lost a great mentor and member of the community. I offer prayers for the Harris family and will keep them all in my thoughts at this time.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I brought over some food to Lucille this afternoon and visited with her some more. She is reading this thread and was overwhelmed by the response and the kind comments. She wanted me to pass along to everyone that she is overwhelmed by the support, kindness and prayers for Ron and the family. She tried 2 different times to post her thoughts on the site, but got an error and asked me to respond on her behalf.

Ron's wishes were to be cremated and Lucille will abide by his request. We are planning a Celebration for Ron's life sometime in the future on a Saturday, but at this time do not have a date. Everyone will be welcome and I will post more details as things become more clear.

For those that are interested in passing along your condolences her address is below:

Lucille Harris
3313 Shuler Rd
Gainesville, GA 30506

Ron's wealth was his big heart and willingness to help others. That is what he had in life and gave all he could. Lucille will need help with expenses during this tragic time.

Ron's passing has left a big void in my heart and his legacy will forever live in all his posts on this site. Ron had a very strong opinion on everything, but if you needed something he was the first one to lend a hand to the fullest of his capacity.

R.I.P Brother Ronald :73m819:

For those who have called me regarding the SteelSoldiersBenevolenceFund (SSBF) accepting and forwarding donations for Lucille's assistance.....

I have PM's Swiss and asked the pertinent questions. He has much on his plate and is on point as of this posting.

The immediate answer is:
YES, anyone wishing to send financial support via the SSBF may certainly do so. Please follow the instructions in the LINK in my signature block below...
FOR CLARITY, if you use the "donate" button in the SS Headers the moneys will go to the website' general fund and NOT the SSBF, so be sure to follow the instructions linked below.

As always, ALL funds received by the SSBF and designated for this cause will go 100% to Lucille.
Anyone wishing to remain anonymous in their giving may ask that their identity remain private.

When Swiss gets back to me these instructions may be tweaked. As of now, this conduit is stood up and operational.

UPDATE:
SWISS has communicated that the SSBF is our best option from his forward position.
The SSBF IS the preferred conduit for sending funds to Lucille.

Last edited:

Armedmd

I am new to MVs and this forum. Based upon posts I’ve read by Ron and the many posts about Ron the world suffered a loss last night. Thankfully some of the posts describe Ron’s faith which certainly softens this tragic situation but doesn’t make it easy. I’ll never meet him on this Earth but I hope we meet in our eternal home someday. Prayers for all involved and his family.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Ron, I’ll never forget you and the laughs we had; thank you for being an inspiration and an exceptional person. It truly hurts to see you go, Godspeed

TaylorTradingCo

Ron always made a game out of wearing me down on the price of something every year at the GA Rally. He was one of the guys I looked forward to seeing every year. He tried to come across rough, but couldn't hide his big heart.
I had another dear friend die this past week. He had been in a nursing home for a year or two and had wasted away to almost nothing, less than 100#. He couldn't eat or expel on his own, couldn't walk or see hardly, towards the end he couldn't even talk. I am glad for Ron that he got to go out with dignity doing what we all love to do. Oh that we should all be so lucky.
I will miss you Ron, and hope to see you again someday.
Derek

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron always made a game out of wearing me down on the price of something every year at the GA Rally. He was one of the guys I looked forward to seeing every year. He tried to come across rough, but couldn't hide his big heart.
I had another dear friend die this past week. He had been in a nursing home for a year or two and had wasted away to almost nothing, less than 100#. He couldn't eat or expel on his own, couldn't walk or see hardly, towards the end he couldn't even talk. I am glad for Ron that he got to go out with dignity doing what we all love to do. Oh that we should all be so lucky.
I will miss you Ron, and hope to see you again someday.
Derek
Derek,
Thank you for your kind memories and for letting us know that you have had another loss recently. Our prayers are with you, Sir.
John
SS Chaplain.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a call tonight or I guess last night now, from my ex wife Jonette, letting me know that our friend Ron had past! Its without saying that I was very sadden by this news!
Ron was a very good and unique friend to both myself and my ex-wife Jonette! I'm going to miss Ron and his interesting humor. I always enjoyed it when Ron would come by my swap meet spot at the rally and hang out with me.
After some ruff things had happen with myself and my family a few years ago, Ron came by my spot at the Rally that year and talked with me and expressed how sorry he was for what all that was happening and what I was going through, he told me about how things would be better and how life can be like a roller coaster ride sometimes, but it will smooth out! He wanted me to know that if I ever needed anything, he was there for me.

Every year since he has came by my spot, and checked in on me to see how things were going and to see if there was anything he could do.
He would hang out with me and keep me company for a time, and no matter how I was feeling when he came up, I was always feeling good when he left!

Ron always liked to come up to our swap meet areas and ask how much would we be willing to pay him to take an item off our hands?
I know this got under peoples skin at times but that was Ron, I always thought it was funny! I will miss that, along with many other things!

RIP Ron, you will be missed!
Your friend Bobby

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks