• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.--73M819--Ron Harris

73m819Mrs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This morning I was sitting with my grandson while waiting for the school bus, he is 5 ( we call him Bash), he looked at me and all serious asks me this " Grandma, why do you always give me a hug and kiss goodbye and you always tell me you love me before I leave"
My words to him were, I say and do those things every day before you leave because it is important that you know I love you and sadly we never know if that will be our final good byes. It would break my heart if I was not able to give you that one last hug & kiss with I love you as you walk down the driveway.
He looked at me and said " like grandpa always did, I miss grandpa"
Ron never left our house without doing those 3 things. That was so important to us both. I hear him every day in my mind .

The things I have to remind myself to help with the healing is to remember the goofy things, fun times and the laughter we had together. There was never a doubt in my mind of just how much he loved me and I loved him. Thank you God for 23 wonderful years.
May he R.I.P.

You never know when you will be called to Heaven

Last edited by a moderator:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Chappy! Tweren't Sunday, but ya did dang good! Excellent, thanks for sharing. I do NOT believe in coincidence!

Thank you Lucille for the beautiful reminder and allowing this rag-tag bunch of misfits the honor of sharing a tiny bit of your personal life together with Ron and Family.

71DeuceAK

I've been waiting a few days to post my response as I wanted to allow others who knew Ron personally to express their condolences first, and also wanted to fully process what happened myself. Although I never met Ron personally, I read many of his threads/posts and as soon as I learned of his death I knew exactly who he was.

I initially received a tipoff via Facebook (I think it was Wreckerman893 if I remember right, but it may have been someone else).

I texted a roommate (who is a member here as well). They didn't really know of him, but seeng as they knew the original founder of SS (Chris) personally I thought they might. Later texted a couple other members.

Night after, I was texting with someone Ron mentored (their words) and felt horrible after learning I was indeed the first to deliver some very unwelcome news. It personally affected me in that though I never knew Ron I had someone frantically calling me in disbelief; all I could do was try to provide confirmation and put him in touch with others who would know more details of what happened, I didn't want to spread false information.

Even though we are all one community, it was hard to even explain to my roommate what was going on, who I had just been on the phone a couple times.

It is truly amazing how someone one has never met can still influence their life or touch their heart. Ron's passing very much affected me despite having never really even talked to him, especially just seeing the pain and suffering someone else was experiencing as a result thereof.

It just proves what a community Steel Soldiers truly is. I don't know how else to say it, but it's true.

Unless I am mistaken, reading through everyone's responses, Ron's son (If that is who it is indeed who was mentioning having not seen your dad in person in 20 years) is located where I grew up. I sent you a PM, God works in amazing ways; I have had many interesting small-world coincidences arise on Steel Soldiers. I have shared some of those stories elsewhere and here and now is not the appropriate time to do so. Needless to say this is a website of genuinely good people. It is truly like one extended family; the people here have frankly been better friends to me than most others I know.

73M819Mrs and all others personally affected, please know you have my deepest support and are truly in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Admin/mod, if for any reason this post comes across as inappropriate, please delete it. I just wanted to finally share how I knew of Ron and how I learned of his death and how it affected me as I'm sure others have similar stories. God bless and be safe.

sandcobra164

Mrs. Harris,
Talk all the time is one thing Ron did well. He came down to Leesburg, Ga one time driving Swiss's M923 (5 ton) to pick up a trailer that Swiss had purchased and I hauled out to the front yard. I pulled the trailer out onto the road, disconnected it from my truck and parked in the tall grass. I broke the conversation off briefly to shut both trucks off after we had talked for about an hour. After another hour Ron figured we were "caught up" and wanted to get back on the road. I gave him directions to the Pilot Truck Stop at it intersection of Hwy 82 and 300 and advised him that it would cost him 30 minutes or so. I took my family to eat in the same vicinity and low and behold what did I see. Ron heading North on Hwy 300 pulling the trailer after going to the "Real" truck stop. My Heart goes to you. I'm sure you loved him way more than us but we have a void now as well. I'm happy to say that you know Ron was loved outside of your House and we'll all miss him.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's taken me over a week to write this, but here goes. I first met Ron, I believe the rally of 2012, It was on a Saturday and I had to leave early and not happy about it. It was very hot and I was hooking up my M1009 behind My M109a3 for the trip home when this fellow I didn't know came up and started to lecture me on how to do it. I don't remember what I said to him, but it probably would not be appropriate for this thread ( He was right of course) he went away. The next year we had words about parking. Somehow in the following years we became friends , I be ****ed if I know how, but we did. I think it was we had shared experiences PTSD among others. I would come to the rally early, on Sunday and Ron was always there. He would come over to my camp and we would talk about old times and truck problems or whatever. It never crossed my mind that he would not be there when I arrived. When I got the news on Jan 12 and Wes called later, I was shocked and heartbroken, still am. I am not emotional, but this one brought tears. Maybe we will meet again one day,

Rest In Peace My Friend,
Mac

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This morning I was sitting with my grandson while waiting for the school bus, he is 5 ( we call him Bash), he looked at me and all serious asks me this " Grandma, why do you always give me a hug and kiss goodbye and you always tell me you love me before I leave"
My words to him were, I say and do those things every day before you leave because it is important that you know I love you and sadly we never know if that will be our final good byes. It would break my heart if I was not able to give you that one last hug & kiss with I love you as you walk down the driveway.
He looked at me and said " like grandpa always did, I miss grandpa"
Ron never left our house without doing those 3 things. That was so important to us both. I hear him every day in my mind .

The things I have to remind myself to help with the healing is to remember the goofy things, fun times and the laughter we had together. There was never a doubt in my mind of just how much he loved me and I loved him. Thank you God for 23 wonderful years.
May he R.I.P.

You never know when you will be called to Heaven
Thank you, Lucille for sharing Ron with us over all these wonderful years.

We love you, Sister!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

joeM62

I've never been much for words and that's one of the reasons why many don't see me speak on here. But I first talked to Ron after I had joined this group after I had picked up old yella which Swiss has now. Ron and David Doyle gave me good advice on that wrecker. The best times I remember at the Ga rally was Ron and Tony Wright cutting up together at the coffee tent. You will be missed.

sandcobra164

Half your life you struggle
Half your life you fly
Half your life makin' trouble
Half your life makin' it right
One day I'm the exception
Most days I'm just like most
Some days I'm headed in the right direction
And some days I ain't even close

I'm a little bit steady but still little bit rollin' stone
I'm a little bit heaven but still a little bit flesh and bone
Little found, little don't know where I am
I'm a little bit holy water but still a little bit burning man
Burning man yeah

I always loved the highway
I just don't run it as fast
I still go wherever the wind blows me
But I always find my way back
I still don't get it right sometimes
I just don't get it as wrong
I still go a little bit crazy sometimes
Yeah, but now I don't stay near as long

Burning man
Still just a burn, burn, burning man
Just a burning man, uh

Maybe I'll go to the desert
Find myself in the Joshua Trees
If we pass in the night then just hand me a lighter
Tell me you burned just like me

Burning man
Just a burning man

Burning man

This song by Dierks Bentley speaks to me both about Ron and about a friend of mine who lost his life this weekend, Charles Rebone. Mr. Charles worked on base as a maintenance supervisor but the part of the song that inspired me to share was the reference to "I still don't get it right sometimes, I just don't get it as wrong". They were both Godly Men who had the Lord Jesus in their Hearts. Praise Jesus and everybody else sit still for a minute. I need all of ya'll here for a few more days to enjoy moments like this.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Half your life you fly

Burning man yeah

Burning man
Just a burning man, uh

Burning man
Just a burning man

Burning man

This song by Dierks Bentley speaks to me both about Ron and about a friend of mine who lost his life this weekend, Charles Rebone. Mr. Charles worked on base as a maintenance supervisor but the part of the song that inspired me to share was the reference to "I still don't get it right sometimes, I just don't get it as wrong". They were both Godly Men who had the Lord Jesus in their Hearts. Praise Jesus and everybody else sit still for a minute. I need all of ya'll here for a few more days to enjoy moments like this.
SandCobra,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you in the loss of your friend Charles Rebone. May his family and friends each be comforted by the Holy Spirit with a peace that surpasses our mere human understanding.
Please let us know if there is anything that you need that we might be able to provide.
In HIS service,
John
SS Chaplain

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, today is the first time I saw this. I have no words. I never met Ron, but have had alot of interaction here on SS with him. It feels like a kick in the gut, like when Devin passed, djfreema...I think of him often, well, daily. I will think of Ron often and say a kind word daily. I honestly have no idea what to say. I am...depressed about this.

Mrs Harris, and your family, I am truly saddened for the loss of Ron.

Guyfang

Staff member
Half your life you fly

Burning man yeah

Burning man
Just a burning man, uh

Burning man
Just a burning man

Burning man

Thank you. That was good. I am going to look into Mr. Bentleys song. Truly good text.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you all. I have to say that Burnin man is one of my favorite songs so thank you for posting the words.
Mrs. Harris, Ron and I discussed your profile avatar on our trip. He said that one year for Christmas he was down in Louisiana at a hotel and he called him and said he had the best christmas present to get you and that would not have the slightest hint as to what he was getting you and that when he told you this over the phone you replied with " what are you going to get me a miniature pony?". Ron said he near had a stroke on the phone and fell out cause you knew him so well and he didn't know how you knew he was going to get you that for a present.

sandcobra164

Thank you all. I have to say that Burnin man is one of my favorite songs so thank you for posting the words.
You are very Welcome Ma'am. I heard it quite a few times today on my way to Charleston, SC and back and thought kindly on the memories with Ron. I have no good words that could comfort you. I can only say this, he went to Glory doing what he loved. I listened to a sermon on the radio that spoke to me as I had another friend taken from me in this short amount of time. We should never get too proud of what we have in our "Worldly Life", we should always set our sights on when Jesus will stand at the Gates of Heaven. He will only let us in if we believe and accept. Ron like many of us on this forum had many "Worldly Possessions" but I truly believe that he had his heart cemented in the Lord Jesus as do you. I'm only 36 but we'll all meet up again. I'm very sorry that I won't get to hang out with Mr. Ron in my near future but I know that my thoughts pale in comparison to your loss. God Speed Mrs. Harris.

f800

I used to think of Ron a couple times a week when I'd go out back and walk past BART. Moved BART to the front lawn so I can remember him everyday.

Bart and I went out for a drink last week in honor of Ron. Diet soda for me, 150 gallons of diesel for Bart.
IMG_5151.jpg

My wife and I were honored to have Ron as a guest for a week in the spring of 2017 when he delivered BART.
IMG_0520.jpg

Like everyone else, Ron had his demons, but he seemed in a good place recently. Talked to him a week before his accident and he was energized, ready for more projects. He was planning on returning to Florida for another visit this spring. I want to confirm all the wonderful things said about Ron in this thread. There are a lot a things I'd like to say about Ron, just cant find the words to do him justice. He had the biggest heart. Above all, he loved his bride, Lucille.

A couple pictures I fondly remember Ron with:

Rare picture of his "thinkin' chair". I think he used it a lot on my projects
IMG_0530.jpg

His little known other favorite green vehicle
IMG_0556.jpg

Ron doing what he loved

IMG_0544.jpg

I thought he'd live forever.

I miss you, Ron

Attachments

73m819Mrs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all,
It has been a few days since I have visited the site. Some days are easier for me then some are not. All of the wonderful things said about Ron make me smile yet bring tears. Its a struggle for me because my life just isn't complete without him.

He had so many great things to say about every one here.
You are a family. The support and comfort, the encouragement you give to hang in there, is awesome. Thank you all so much for all your help in every way. God has blessed me with this wonderful family here.

Thank you for all the pictures posted and the stories told.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know what to say. I love this site because after all the jawing about trucks and stuff, the things that matter most is the friendships. This hobby brings some of the most outstanding people I know together. This is a family for sure.
Mrs Harris, my prayers are with you and yours.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks