• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.--73M819--Ron Harris

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So today I was in town getting a few groceries (pre winter storm). When I pulled out of the parking lot I thought about grabbing something at a drive-thru for lunch(never grocery shop when you're hungry). I decided to go to Arby's because of the post about Ron liking Arby's jr sandwiches.

As I walked in, I realized I was the only customer there. This is a small town but it still seemed a bit odd.

I looked over the menu but could not find it listed. So, I asked. The girl at the counter said they are no longer on the menu(discontinued).

I then told her why I had wanted one, and quickly tried to make another choice.

She said, wait just a second, and went in the back.

When she came back she said they knew how to make one and would for me!

She asked for my name for my order. Without hesitation I started to say Walter(the name I use at for all fast-food orders) but stopped short and said to her, "let's use Ron today". She smiled and rang me up.

I sat with my lunch and thought about Ron. Lot's of thoughts and lots of smiles...

When I got up after I was done eating, I went to toss my garbage in the trash and leave, and realized the place was still totally empty and it had been completely silent while I had sat at my table enjoying my thoughts and lunch.

I again thanked the girl as I turned for the door, but first I rang the bell(for great service).

Ron lives on...

fwiw, my name is not Walter, but I can tell you a funny story if you ask me around a camp-fire(about using that name).View attachment 753730

Eric, aka: Doghead, aka: Walter, aka: Ron-for-a-day:

I don't know if you realize it or not, but that ARBY'S you visited as a tribute to Ron, aka: 73m819, according to the receipt you posted is located just off Interstate 81 in PULASKI, NEW YORK.
Screenshot (257).png

And, by a serious twist of fate, the wreck which claimed our friend and brother Ron occurred on Interstate 81, near Mile Marker 89 very near none other than PULASKI, VIRGINIA.
Screenshot (256).png

. . . . . COINCIDENCE?!?!?

Or, GOD-Incidence???

You decide.

I sense that in that apparently empty eatery you may very well have been eating with Ron at your side. God has a special way of bringing these things together. I pray it was a blessing for you.

It's WOW-Moments like these that I have come to call GOD-Moments. They happen all the time. If you're looking, they become obvious.

Heavenly Father,
YOU speak to us at times in languages we have to work to understand. Thank You for this assurance that Ron is in Your loving care now, and that YES those who are with You are also still with us. We just can't "see" them.
Thank You, Lord, for this reassurance.
In Jesus' name I pray,
AMEN!

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brian Harris, I adore your father. He made a habit out of pestering me but in the end we both laughed. My prayers go out for all of the Harris family. Hope to see you soon.

73m819Mrs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to say thank you to our Chaplin, I have spoken to John a couple of times and the comfort he brings within the words he speaks is truly amazing. Thank you for the guidance and just listening. We are blessed to have you!

And Swiss, you truly are an Angel, thank you.

I try to keep up on the posts and all the prayers and support this family is giving our family.
Words can not express just how grateful we are!
Thank you all

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sense that in that apparently empty eatery you may very well have been eating with Ron at your side. God has a special way of bringing these things together. I pray it was a blessing for you.
In my mind he was across the table from me...

I actually had to call friend(that also knew Ron) just to tell him of my lunch experience... (after I left)

When I got home I thought I need to share it here.

Last edited:
Prayers for Ron, R.I.P. 73m819

I don't know if you realize it or not, but that ARBY'S you visited as a tribute to Ron, aka: 73m819, according to the receipt you posted is located just off Interstate 81 in PULASKI, NEW YORK.
View attachment 753731

And, by a serious twist of fate, the wreck which claimed our friend and brother Ron occurred on Interstate 81, near Mile Marker 89 very near none other than PULASKI, VIRGINIA.
View attachment 753732

Or, GOD-Incidence???

You decide.

It's WOW-Moments like these that I have come to call GOD-Moments. They happen all the time. If you're looking, they become obvious.

Heavenly Father,
YOU speak to us at times in languages we have to work to understand. Thank You for this assurance that Ron is in Your loving care now, and that YES those who are with You are also still with us. We just can't "see" them.
In Jesus' name I pray,
AMEN!

Definitely a God moment, no doubt about it. Thanks for sharing Doghead.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I want to say thank you to our Chaplin, I have spoken to John a couple of times and the comfort he brings within the words he speaks is truly amazing. Thank you for the guidance and just listening. We are blessed to have you!

And Swiss, you truly are an Angel, thank you.

I try to keep up on the posts and all the prayers and support this family is giving our family.
Words can not express just how grateful we are!
Thank you all
Lucille, we have never met but I feel like I know you almost like a next door neighbor.

Ron came to Columbus to help us out countless times and other places just to be with the "CAMO Crew" and we were always glad to have him.

Believe me when I say you were the "shining light" in Ron's eyes and I actually admired him (when we we weren't arguing about something or the other) because he always found a way to bring you into the conversation and his words were always loving and supportive when he mentioned you.

I'm not much of a sentimental man and my wife will tell you that but I hope I can show my wife half the love Ron showed for you even when you were not around. That says a lot about a man in my opinion.

The few members of CAMO that are left held Ron in full member status and would like to be a part of whatever is decided to happen as his final celebration of life.

Now that I see you have a user's name here on SS I will PM you my cell number in hopes you will call me if I can help in any way.

I know Swiss is on point and doing a good job at it and he is talking to me, zout and others but we all stand ready if needed.

God Bless and may HE bring peace to your heart.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was reading over some of Ron's old posts tonight. I thought I should share this one again with everyone.

Original Thread Posted 8/31/16
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?158039-Just-never-got-around-to-it&highlight=

Rons Post
Just never got around to it.
Guys/Gals, IF there is someone that you feel you SHOULD see, or call, or contract, ect., but you say "NO BIG DEAL, I will take care of it tomorrow", tomorrow comes and the thought gets pushed back, ectttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt., DO NOT ALLOW yourself to do that, because when you finally get around to trying to make that call you may FIND that that person PASSED three weeks ago, NOW you will NEVER be able to say to that person what YOU NEEDED TO SAY.

I am posting this because this morning I found out that a VERY IMPORTANT in my life PASSED, Back in 2002 I was not doing very good mentally, offing my selflooked good, I went to the employment looking for a job, I was handed over to Jim, the state veterans rep., as I sat down in his cubical I proceeded to have a mental breakdown, this was in front of a complete stranger, he said "you have PTSD and you NEED to get to the VA for help" I then said "i DO NOT HAVE PTSD", we went back and forth for about a hour, Jim saying yes, me saying no, I finally said "fine I will go" just to shut him up, he arranged transport to the VA hospital the next day AND found a way to redirect my mind to the next day, I went to the VA, had them hold me for about 8 or 10 days while they put pieces back to together, sat in on some PTSD groups, ect, never looked back from that time,. in another words JIM SAVED MY LIFE, so now the reason for the title, I had been MEANING to visit Jim, knowing that he was in BAD health, but just NEVER got around to it, he DIED three weeks, now I will NEVER be able so say to him what I wanted to say which was THANK YOU.

PLEASE do not put yourself in the place that I am in right now because you NEVER GOT AROUND TO IT.

Last edited:

BenRoberts

Certified insane
I was reading over some of Ron's old posts tonight. I thought I should share this one again with everyone.

Original Thread Posted 8/31/16
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?158039-Just-never-got-around-to-it&highlight=

Just never got around to it.
Guys/Gals, IF there is someone that you feel you SHOULD see, or call, or contract, ect., but you say "NO BIG DEAL, I will take care of it tomorrow", tomorrow comes and the thought gets pushed back, ectttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt., DO NOT ALLOW yourself to do that, because when you finally get around to trying to make that call you may FIND that that person PASSED three weeks ago, NOW you will NEVER be able to say to that person what YOU NEEDED TO SAY.

I am posting this because this morning I found out that a VERY IMPORTANT in my life PASSED, Back in 2002 I was not doing very good mentally, offing my selflooked good, I went to the employment looking for a job, I was handed over to Jim, the state veterans rep., as I sat down in his cubical I proceeded to have a mental breakdown, this was in front of a complete stranger, he said "you have PTSD and you NEED to get to the VA for help" I then said "i DO NOT HAVE PTSD", we went back and forth for about a hour, Jim saying yes, me saying no, I finally said "fine I will go" just to shut him up, he arranged transport to the VA hospital the next day AND found a way to redirect my mind to the next day, I went to the VA, had them hold me for about 8 or 10 days while they put pieces back to together, sat in on some PTSD groups, ect, never looked back from that time,. in another words JIM SAVED MY LIFE, so now the reason for the title, I had been MEANING to visit Jim, knowing that he was in BAD health, but just NEVER got around to it, he DIED three weeks, now I will NEVER be able so say to him what I wanted to say which was THANK YOU.

PLEASE do not put yourself in the place that I am in right now because you NEVER GOT AROUND TO IT.

[h=2][/h]
Sound advice brother, advice I can give back is you stay strong and things will get better for you. At some point storms will run out of rain and the sun will shine. I deal with many regrets myself that I can't undo but what I can do is make sure I don't repeat them which is the sound advice you have pointed out. You got a friend here in Ohio and if you ever need to talk hit me up.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never met Ron, but you can learn alot about someone from their actions. "Just pay me what you think its worth" Hope we can all go out doing what we love. Godspeed wrench.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ladies and Gentlemen:
Dianna and I had a busy evening. We are leaders in a local Celebrate Recovery (CR) Group that meets every Thursday evening. (Yes, yet another facet of God's ministry.)

Earlier in the evening, before CR, I had promised Steve/swiss in a text exchange that I'd tell a little story here after I was free.

Well, God obviously had other plans. CR ran into "overtime" even after its scheduled end time. I will have to give a raincheck on that promised post.

Not only did God invest us on another mission tonight, but when I did sit down here and catch up on the latest SS Posts - particularly this thread - I'm having trouble seeing through tears. I am utterly amazed that through the untimely passing of our brother Ron so much witness and testimony is being posted for all to read, digest, and "get". Ron's mark on this world is being illuminated by the light of The Message that we are called to share with all peoples.

So, with that being said, I'm going "lights out." The bugle will sound early in the morning. I will endeavor to post that promised story as soon as God has me do it.

I say this with utter sincerity....

I love y'all.

Good night.
John

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swiss, I remember reading Ron's post the day after he wrote it. Read the first post after. Ron will finally get to tell Jim how much he meant to him.

Last edited by a moderator:

74M35A2

I'm late to this terrible news. I can't bring anything to the table that has not been already.

It always drove me nuts when he would lay down words or sentences in all caps on points he tried to emphasis in teaching others. I always wanted to call him out on it, yet bit my tongue and never did. Now knowing that I'll never see it from him anymore makes me feel so completely empty inside. Don't know what you have until it is gone, never to return.

The pull together here is amazing, and really paints a picture of the respect for him. A wonderful thing for his wife to read, and those that live close by to help convey.

No age is ever enough, I'll also go out on a limb and say at least he was called to leave us in an instant while doing something he loved. I actually wish the same for myself, rather than slowly turn to stone in a nursing home surrounded by strangers. I think it is the only positive that can even attempted to be made from such a tragedy.

God speed to you Ron on your next journey, and glad you had a good time here with us.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GOD-Moments and God-Incidences

So today I was in town getting a few groceries (pre winter storm). When I pulled out of the parking lot I thought about grabbing something at a drive-thru for lunch(never grocery shop when you're hungry). I decided to go to Arby's because of the post about Ron liking Arby's jr sandwiches.

As I walked in, I realized I was the only customer there. This is a small town but it still seemed a bit odd.

I looked over the menu but could not find it listed. So, I asked. The girl at the counter said they are no longer on the menu(discontinued).

I then told her why I had wanted one, and quickly tried to make another choice.

She said, wait just a second, and went in the back.

When she came back she said they knew how to make one and would for me!

She asked for my name for my order. Without hesitation I started to say Walter(the name I use at for all fast-food orders) but stopped short and said to her, "let's use Ron today". She smiled and rang me up.

I sat with my lunch and thought about Ron. Lot's of thoughts and lots of smiles...

When I got up after I was done eating, I went to toss my garbage in the trash and leave, and realized the place was still totally empty and it had been completely silent while I had sat at my table enjoying my thoughts and lunch.

I again thanked the girl as I turned for the door, but first I rang the bell(for great service).

Ron lives on...

fwiw, my name is not Walter, but I can tell you a funny story if you ask me around a camp-fire(about using that name).View attachment 753730

View attachment 753731

View attachment 753732

Or, GOD-Incidence???

You decide.

Heavenly Father,
In Jesus' name I pray,
AMEN!

Ladies and Gentlemen:
Dianna and I had a busy evening. We are leaders in a local Celebrate Recovery (CR) Group that meets every Thursday evening. (Yes, yet another facet of God's ministry.)

Earlier in the evening, before CR, I had promised Steve/swiss in a text exchange that I'd tell a little story here after I was free.

Well, God obviously had other plans. CR ran into "overtime" even after its scheduled end time. I will have to give a raincheck on that promised post.

Not only did God invest us on another mission tonight, but when I did sit down here and catch up on the latest SS Posts - particularly this thread - I'm having trouble seeing through tears. I am utterly amazed that through the untimely passing of our brother Ron so much witness and testimony is being posted for all to read, digest, and "get". Ron's mark on this world is being illuminated by the light of The Message that we are called to share with all peoples.

So, with that being said, I'm going "lights out." The bugle will sound early in the morning. I will endeavor to post that promised story as soon as God has me do it.

I say this with utter sincerity....

I love y'all.

Good night.
John
Come and listen to a story.....

... And if it seems a bit like a sermon, I guess it just might be one.

Back in May 1992 my father passed away.

I and my family were living here in Texas and we all flew back to New Jersey on the next available flight.

Dad had diabetes and lived well with it for a number of years. It was only during Dad's last six months that the disease reared its vicious and ugly head and began its assault on his vital organs. He far exceeded the doctors initial diabetes diagnosis expectations by over a decade. But, we all knew that eventually, Dad's time would run out. So his passing wasn't a complete surprise - we just never wanted to let him go.

The four of us arrived at the family home in the early evening. Mom and my sisters (twins four years older than me) and I hugged and cried and then started talking about the funeral plans. Dad had pre-planned EVERYTHING so my sisters simply assured me, "Dad will be ready for us to visit in the morning." Then one of my sisters said that they had gone ahead and picked the clothes before I got there, and that they knew that would be alright with me. It was. But then she apologized saying, "You know how Dad always called neckties "Gravy Stain Covers"? Well, after picking out the suit and shirt, the tie that looked best had a small stain on it. Knowing Dad's sense of humor we said, 'What the heck! Everyone will get one last laugh.' So Dad will still be joking as always, even at his own funeral."

Wearing a pre-stained tie while lying in a casket couldn't have fit Dad better. He was the one in the community that folks would call when someone died. They would ask, "When is Jack going to the wake. We want to hear the good stories and memories - not cry and moan." Dad knew very well that we are all mortal. And that our passing should, at least on some level be a celebration. After all, if you've lived right and know the Lord as Savior, you're leaving the worst behind - Right?

So, after many other topics were covered that evening Mom, me and my sisters, and my wife and two kids all went to sleep.

The next morning I got up and stepped out the front door and picked up the morning paper, then came back inside where Mom was making us all breakfast. She commented about me first fetching the paper, "That's just what your Dad would do." I began realizing just how much my routines in life paralleled those of my Dad.

I sat at the table and opened the paper, turning first to the obituary page, even before glancing at the front page headlines. I confirmed Dad's death notice was published and then turned to the comics. Mom observed this and again said, "That's just what your Dad would do." Huh! I really am the "spitting image" of my father!

This is where the GOD-Moment started.....

The comic WIZARD OF ID often features an undertaker scene. On this particular morning, the undertaker and a recent widow are looking into an open casket and the widow says, "He looks almost natural." To this the surprised undertaker asks, "ALMOST?!?!?" In the last frame of the comic the widow asks, "Could you put a little gravy stain on his tie?"

I was FLOORED ! ! ! How in the world, did the comic artist - Johnny Hart, a known Christian - possibly know about our own little GRAVY STAIN anecdote???

We all rolled with laughter. We even cut out that comic to stuff into Dad's pocket when we got to the funeral later. Dad would have loved that!!!

As is the old family tradition, the family is at the funeral home as long as the doors are open. Dad used to tell us kids that was just in case "the stiff" woke up. That's why they call it a "wake". Mom would counter that it was to receive those who came to visit and allow them to console us. In any event, hanging out at the funeral home was indeed a great way to usher the grief process along. There are always good conversations, storytelling, and even the revealing of old hidden secrets of shenanigans, pranks, and general delinquency. In our case, everyone would laugh when we mentioned Dad's gravy stained necktie. And they'd look. And they'd walk away with one last laugh, thanks to their friend Jack.

Well, the next day, without even thinking, there I was fetching the morning paper while Mom made breakfast ant eh delicious aromas roused everyone for another day at the funeral home. And again, I came back in, made it to the table, and paged right to the obituary section. Satisfied that Dad's notice was again printed, I again turned next to the comics....

This time, it was another comic B.C. also drawn by Johnny Hart that caught my immediate attention! In the first frame of the comic strip the caveman B.C. is standing in the barren desert with his arms extended skyward shouting, "God, if you're there please send me a sign!!!" The next frame is filled with a sight of a modern-day movie theater marquee with the flashing lights all around its edges flopping onto the desert floor - little puffs of dust coming up from the impact - and the marquee's signage letters boldly proclaiming:
"I'M REALLY UP HERE!"

Was it a GOD-MOMENT? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Were those two comic strips - their timing and their messages - coincidences? I don't believe that for a moment. They were indisputably GOD-Incidences!!!

ONLY GOD could have orchestrated the events that caused us to receive those TWO messages, which I believe with every bone in my body, were to Dad's family reassuring us that Dad was now REALLY UP HERE! God know I'd be reading the comics each morning. HE knew that Johnny hart would ben those comics WEEKS BEFORE they would be published... at exactly the right time for our reassurance. HE knew that even in his mother's womb, Johnny Hart was destined to be a messenger to us. HE knew that as my father before me, I would be of the character to enjoy a good morning laugh, and that I would be looking for those morsels of inspiration, encouragement, and good humored enlightenment in the comic strips of the morning newspaper. God, my Father in heaven, knows these things about all of us. And, I imagine that HE was looking down especially those mornings right along side my Dad, maybe even nudging Dad's side like a prank-pulling jokester might, saying, "Watch this, Jack!"

(By the way, Dad was buried with both those cut out comic strips in his suit jacket pocket... along with the crossword puzzles from each day's paper that his casket was open and with his favorite pen, too. Just in case he "got bored".)

So, faithful friends, when doghead had his very specially concocted ARBY'S JR. in Pulaski, New York we can indeed be assured that Ron was right across from him.

We are taught a few fundamentals about God. Let's add these things up....

1. God is "in heaven".

2. God is omni-present. This means that HE is literally everywhere, all the time.

3. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

4. HE is within us. After all, we already said HE is omni-present, not just next to us, but IN us.

Conclusions:
Since God is in heaven, and simultaneous omni-present, even IN us, and when we die (absent from the body) we are immediately present with HIM, then where could we possibly be but right here, yes even IN us!!!

If you'd like to read about this directly from His Word, here ya go...

2 Corinthians 5
New King James Version (NKJV)

Assurance of the Resurrection

5 For we know that if our earthly [a]house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our [b]habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as [c]a guarantee.
6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.
The Judgment Seat of Christ

9 Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. 11 Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are well known to God, and I also trust are well known in your consciences.
Be Reconciled to God

12 For we do not commend ourselves again to you, but give you opportunity to boast on our behalf, that you may have an answer for those who boast in appearance and not in heart. 13 For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; or if we are of sound mind, it is for you. 14 For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; 15 and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.
16 Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 19 that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not [d]imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. 21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Since this has ended up so sermon-like, how about a song that's been on my mind the past few days.....

Victory In Jesus with Lyrics

Keep your eyes open. You might just see the saints present all around you.

Praise be to God!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks