• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.--73M819--Ron Harris

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don’t know what to say. I love this site because after all the jawing about trucks and stuff, the things that matter most is the friendships. This hobby brings some of the most outstanding people I know together. This is a family for sure.
Mrs Harris, my prayers are with you and yours.
Couldn’t have said it better myself, Bill. Thanks.

73m819Mrs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi every one,
I wanted to say thank you all once again. All your generosity, love and support means so much. We all know how hard it is to get through the loss of a loved one. All of your support, the stories of all the good times helps. We need the good memories to help us through. It doesn't get easier over night, nor is it any easier for me now. But time heals, I will always remember what we had and forever treasure those memories. Ron is forever in my heart.

I know I have not replied to every post, but have read every one, more then once. You have touched my heart, and the love felt from all of you, all I can say is Wow! Thank you for the pictures and posts, your a wonderful family.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ronald William Harris 1945-2019

Ronald William Harris, 73 of Gainesville Ga, died as a result of a tragic motor vehicle accident on January 12th in Pualaski Virginia while driving a Oshkosh M1074 PLS. He is survived by his wife Lucille Harris and their 5 children (Joe, Brian, Serena, Amanda and John) and their 2 grandchildren, (Audrey and Sebastien). He was born August 26th, 1945 in Baltimore Maryland. Mr. Harris proudly served his country during the Vietnam war from 1964 through 1968 as a heavy equipment operator. When he left the Service, he worked on the loading docks in Long Beach California as a crane operator. He also worked as a mechanic fixing big rigs. In 1982 he started working for Kiser Sand & Gravel until 2001 when the family moved to Georgia.

Ron was a skilled large crane operator and he contributed to the local infrastructure in North East Georgia working on both the Lake Zwerner Dam and Cedar Creek pumping station. Ron's hobby and passion in life was old military trucks. After retiring in 2010 from the construction industry, he worked extensively on restoring and modifying Vietnam era and later military trucks. He was very active and passionate in the hobby and helped hundreds of others through hours of phone calls and communications assisting with his ideas and knowledge. Ron was a very patriotic honorable man who loved God and country. He had a heart of gold and would put others above himself. He loved helping any way he could while sharing his knowledge and talents.

We will be having a celebration of life and all his extended SS family is invited to celebrate the life of Ronald Harris on Saturday March 16[SUP]th[/SUP] at noon in Lula Georgia. Ron loved spending time in the woods at my property and his wish was to have his ashes forever part of the earth.
:73m819:

I will be grilling for lunch and we will eat around 12:30. It would be helpful if those coming coming could bring some side dish's and drinks. I will start another thread in the events section around additional details.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Ronald William Harris, 73 of Gainesville Ga, died as a result of a tragic motor vehicle accident on January 12th in Pualaski Virginia while driving a Oshkosh M1074 PLS. He is survived by his wife Lucille Harris and their 5 children (Joe, Brian, Serena, Amanda and John) and their 2 grandchildren, (Audrey and Sebastien). He was born August 26th, 1945 in Baltimore Maryland. Mr. Harris proudly served his country during the Vietnam war from 1964 through 1968 as a heavy equipment operator. When he left the Service, he worked on the loading docks in Long Beach California as a crane operator. He also worked as a mechanic fixing big rigs. In 1982 he started working for Kiser Sand & Gravel until 2001 when the family moved to Georgia.

Ron was a skilled large crane operator and he contributed to the local infrastructure in North East Georgia working on both the Lake Zwerner Dam and Cedar Creek pumping station. Ron's hobby and passion in life was old military trucks. After retiring in 2010 from the construction industry, he worked extensively on restoring and modifying Vietnam era and later military trucks. He was very active and passionate in the hobby and helped hundreds of others through hours of phone calls and communications assisting with his ideas and knowledge. Ron was a very patriotic honorable man who loved God and country. He had a heart of gold and would put others above himself. He loved helping any way he could while sharing his knowledge and talents.

We will be having a celebration of life and all his extended SS family is invited to celebrate the life of Ronald Harris on Saturday March 16[SUP]th[/SUP] at noon in Lula Georgia. Ron loved spending time in the woods at my property and his wish was to have his ashes forever part of the earth.

I will be grilling for lunch and we will eat around 12:30. It would be helpful if those coming coming could bring some side dish's and drinks. I will start another thread in the events section around additional details.
Would it be appropriate for MVs to show up?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We won't make it down from Alberta Canada but somehow it's already been arranged that we'll definitely be there in spirit. Our thoughts will remain with all of you.

Ron chimed in early when I started on my M135 project to make sure I did things right. He not only acted as mentor, but played the role just like a Dad. It would have been great knowing him st a more personal level which many of you were so fortunate to do.

The irony of the date chosen shouldn't be lost on us. My M135 build was dedicated to my father, both with the date of delivery of March 16th. It's suiting that Goose the deuce will also permanently remember Ron.

Dad passed away in March of last year so for his birthday this year, it's helpful knowing he'll be in good company. Find a Canadian flag to fly for us at the event please.

sandcobra164

Eli,
I'll answer before Swiss see's this, ABSOLUTELY but no CUCV's, Ron really hated those. Even my very nice one, he preferred Big Trucks and your M923A2 would be perfect to drive to the cookout.

Joseph

73m819Mrs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi ever one, I wanted to let you all know that Ron's Obituary is now available for viewing on the funeral home site. it is also available on facebook through the funeral home.

this is the link on Burch Messier Funeral home. https://www.burch-messier.com/bedford-funerals-and-obituaries-69/2204-ronald-william-harris

I miss him so much and I am trying so hard to get some kind of normal, but It just isn't happening yet. I guess it will in time. I never thought I could feel so lost with out someone, but I do.

I hope you are all doing ok, I know this was as much of a shock to you as it is to me. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
[h=2]Ronald William Harris[/h]
Ronald William Harris
, 73 of Gainesville Ga, died as a result of a tragic motor vehicle accident on January 12th in Pualaski Virginia. He is survived by his wife Lucille Harris and their 5 children (Joe, Brian, Serena, Amanda and John) and their 2 grandchildren, (Audrey and Sebastien). He was born August 26th, 1945 in Baltimore Maryland. Mr. Harris proudly served his country during the Vietnam war from 1964 through 1968 as a heavy equipment operator. When he left the Service, he worked on the loading docks in Long Beach California as a crane operator. He also worked as a mechanic fixing big rigs. In 1982 he started working for Kiser Sand & Gravel until 2001 when the family moved to Georgia. Ron was a skilled large crane operator and he contributed to the local infrastructure in North East Georgia working on both the Lake Zwerner Dam and Cedar Creek pumping station. Ron's hobby and passion in life was old military trucks. After retiring in 2010 from the construction industry, he worked extensively on restoring and modifying Vietnam era and later military trucks. He was very active and passionate in the hobby and helped hundreds of others through hours of phone calls and communications assisting with his ideas and knowledge. Ron was a very patriotic honorable man who loved God and country. He had a heart of gold and would put others above himself. He loved helping any way he could while sharing his knowledge and talents. We will be having a celebration of life in honor of Ron on Saturday, March 16, 2019 in the early afternoon in the Gainesville, Georgia area.

Guyfang

Staff member

Rest assured that on the 16th, at least one glass will be raised high, on this side of the Atlantic, in Ron's memory. By any chance, was Ron in the 84th Engineer Brigade during 1964-1968?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never had the privilege of meeting Ron, though I have the highest respect for him and his dedication to Steel Soldiers and the hobby. He will be missed by many, prayers out to his family and friends. :(

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2014 GA Rally_129-ron.jpg
Goodbye to a good man

This is devastating news to hear, just saw this from a different thread, had been off-site and missed this thread til now. Did not read all of the posts, will do so later.
When I came to the GA Rally in 2014, I ended up as Ron's neighbor and he took me in and helped immediately.

2014 GA Rally_162c-ron 4.jpg

For most of the following days, we started the day with sitting in his veranda and he made coffee for the both of us.
Mostly, we drank in quiet without much talk, enjoying the early morning. These were the best moments of the Rally and the main reason for me to get back to the Rally asap. Several reasons stopped it in the last years, but this year I finally had things lined up to go. I was hoping to do a recovery trip or otherwise spend some days on MVs or otherwise with him before or after the Rally.

2014 GA Rally_162c-ron2.jpg

All support and strength for for his family

Abearican 08cc.jpg

R.I.P and Godspeed on your final journey my friend.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is interesting how each of us has a different story and memories about Ron, but each show the same strong positive feeling in it.
I remember that in 2014 at the GA rally, there was this memorial tent for TIGGER. My gut feeling says that Ron was not the kind of man who would like to see something like that for himself, but I do think we should do something at the rally to remember and honor him --- and I mean apart from raising the glasses around the camp fires while swapping stories (which is the best way to do it anyway). Just throwing it up, leave it to those who knew him better and his family to decide on this.

Ron's unfinished MV projects: can we help finishing them as a GA group action like the engine swap in 2014?

16 March: date noted in the calendar. As Guyfang mentioned, the European SteelSoldiers cannot attend, but be sure that more than one glass will be raised in Ron's memory.

sandcobra164

He's Home now and will always live in our hearts where he has always been. I'm Thankful to have known Ron and miss the 2 or 3 phone calls a month with him introducing himself as "Ron, 73M819" from Steel Soldiers. His ashes are spread on land that he spent many hours on here in the U.S.A. They were carried in a NHC-250 powered 5 ton in an ammo can in a convoy of other Military Vehicles. Swiss arranged a great Memorial Service. I really have no words, today was tough but we move forward By Faith. My oldest boy blessed the meal, Swiss closed the Service in Prayer. I held together good until Swiss tossed out the first of the ashes.

Attachments

71DeuceAK

Sandcobra, although I never met or had the opportunity to speak to Ron, tears are welling up in my eyes reading this. Not even exclusively sad, just very much emotionally moved. Steel Soldiers is a brotherhood all its own. It is truly amazing how we have touched each others lives. I could ramble on forever but let me just say that stories like this, although tragic in origin, show to me that we have the best hobby in the world.

Artisan

Thats really tough to fathom.
I do get some solice in the Love the SS bretheren bequeath in his name.
We shall all catch up to him someday...
(Insert the Lords Prayer here...)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks